vangelo

Carousel Park Architects Drawings

Hi Vinnie,

Very neat stuff. May I post it on my website? Since I give credit to my sources, how would you like your credit to appear? Can you provide a brief statement about the drawings?

I truly appreciate it. When I first started my research on the carousel I really didn't expect to find so much info. Seeing these drawings sort of brings it full circle. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

You certainly can post it. Unfortunately I don't know anything about them so I can't offer a statement. Please publish the credit as "Mastro Pizza Inc. - Family Archives" Do you need the files or can you download them? Do you want higher resolution?

Thanks Vinnie. Higher resolution would be great. I can use the pics you posted and make them clickable to the higher resolution copies.

I hope to get them set up later this week.

Thanks again

Mitch

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Kraus:

Vinnie, are you saying you don't know why or how your family obtained them? Crazy, huh? That's way over in the amusement area. Quita a mystery!<HR></blockquote>

Well, my Aunt (not the one that recently passed) said that my Father was in the process of buying the carousel and was going to somehow combine the Mastro Pizza Pavilion and the Carousel. I have tried to corroborate that statement through others but have not had sufficient confirmation to declare it to be true.

I do know a couple of things:

1) My Aunt believes the statement is true but does not know how far along my father was in making anything happen.

2) The Mastro Pizza Pavilion was designed to be taken down and re-erected elsewhere.

3) My other Aunt had the prints.

[This message has been edited by vangelo (edited 10-26-2003).]

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MitchS:

...May I post it on my website? ...

Mitch<HR></blockquote>

Hi Mitch,

Have you had a chance to update your website yet? If so, please post the link. I'd like to take a look.

Thanx,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

Sorry, I have not had the chance yet to update the site. I thought I would have the chance by now. Maybe I can work a quick update and then hone it in the future.

I'll post the link when I get something done.

Again, I apologize. You were very prompt in getting me the pictures and I am lagging in posting them.

Thanks kindly for everyone's patience.

[This message has been edited by MitchS (edited 11-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MitchS (edited 11-16-2003).]

The unit of the building surrounding the carousel with the "24" says PIZZA on it. Could that have been one of the satellite Mastro Pizza Palaces?

The 24 must be the width of the unit in feet.

Can anybody read what was in some of those other units? I can't make 'em out.

[This message has been edited by DougSeed (edited 11-15-2003).]

quote:

Originally posted by DougSeed:

The unit of the building surrounding the carousel with the "24" says PIZZA on it. Could that have been one of the satellite Mastro Pizza Palaces?

Except that, contrary to the labeling on these drawings, Bill Cotter's photograph of the carousel and this building show that this location was not occupied by a pizza place.

The unit on the end had an art-booth kind of place. I think Art-o-matic may have been one of those places where kids squirted paint from bottles onto a revolving canvas to produce 'splatter art'. Splatter art said to be from the NYWF has been seen on eBay.

Art-o-matic.jpg

Randy

Yes, Randy, the Art-O-Matic is also known as "swirl art". They still had them in Lake George the last time I was up there - and kids were still lined up for them. Nice to see some things don't change!

Randy, According to the prints, the concessions next to PIZZA working toward the corner: Soda & Beer (12); Pretzel (6); Hero (18); Pastry (12); something that starts with 'Ch' but I can't read the handwriting (12) and finally Hats & something else with an 'R' I can't make out. Across the other direction the handwriting is pretty poor too, but I can make out one of them stating 'Fryed'.

Please note that the drawings Vinnie provided are form 1964 and Bill's picture showing actual concessions is from 1965. It's possible they changed over between seasons too.

We need a clear phot of the concessions from '64. None of the '64 photos I have show any of the concessions.

<a href="http://64nywf65.20m.com/New%20Index.htm" target="_blank">http://64nywf65.20m.com/New%20Index.htm</a> Click on "Carousel Park"

I finally posted the first draft version about the site plans that Vinnie provided.

Vinnie, check it out than drag me through the coals. I have a busy day and week ahead but I'll try to fix what you may not like about it as soon as possible.

I am also going to be working on posting some brief correspondences I had with John Rogers who brought the carousel to the fair and was a subject in Curtis and Terri's film.

I may do it in Q&A form. I will let everyone know when it's posted.

Fun stuff!

In this 1965 view, you can see the squirt bottles lined up behind the counter, samples hanging on the front of the counter that look very much like the current eBay example, and a joker who appears to be trying to make a 'foot swirly'. biggrin.gif

Art-o-matic2.jpg

Here's a view from 1964.

On the right "wing" of the building", going from left to right, comparing 64 and 65:

1.'64 Beer, '65 Beer

2.'64 Iced____(behind pole), '65 Iced Coke & Soda

3.'64 (vacant signage), '65 Iced Lemonade

4.'64 illegible but looks same as '65, '65 Tea & Coffee

5.'64 Wa______(probably same as '65), '65 Waffles & Pastry

6.'64 out of view, '65 Ice Cream-Milk Shake

7.'64 out of view, '65 Fresh Fruit

8.'64 out of view, '65 Art-O-Matic

On the left side in '64, we can see __Fries, probably French Fries.

In '65 we see ___nks, probably Drinks.

But the '64 and '65 views were photographed from distinctly different vantage points from the Monorail, so it's possibly that both Fries and Drinks were in the same positions in both '64 and '65.

Sorry, this is an odd-sized slice of picture.

Carousel64.jpg

Very well done Randy. So it appears not much changed between seasons except for the paint scheme.

Well the lemonade stand may not have been there in '64, and there's enough outside the camera lens in the single '64 photo that there's plenty of unknowns- such as whether the Art-O-Matic place was occupied by a pizza outlet in '64.

Randy

Based on the site plan, the pizza concession was to be 24'. That would include the Art-O-Matic and the fresh fruit stand. It would not be surprising if some concessions changed.

Interesting how different the penciled in concessions were from the real thing.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MitchS:

I finally posted the first draft version about the site plans that Vinny provided.

Vinny, check it out than drag me through the coals. I have a busy day and week ahead but I'll try to fix what you may not like about it as soon as possible.

<HR></blockquote>

Hi Mitch,

The write-up is great. Thanx. I would never drag you or anyone here through the coals. I am so greatful that you all have interest in this stuff.

The write-up looks great however, I do have a point of accuracy. Frank Mastro was my grandfather. He started the business when he came to this country. My father was Vincent S. Mastro, he took over the company when my granfather died in the late 50's (my name is Vincent A. Mastro).

Also, I'm going to look at the original plans to see if I find anything.

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie. All fixed. Plese check it again and see if it looks better.

Also, I apologize, I spelled Vinny with a Y instead of Vinnie with an ie, I went back and fixed it in this thread.

I looked at the original and the writing is in pencil on the prints (i.e. I could erase it).

This means, it was written after the original plan was created. Given that my Aunt believes my father was planning something after the fair closed, my guess is that this documents one idea of what he was planning.

Also, I agree, the numbers represent the length of each unit.

Here is a close-up of the LEFT side:

CarouselPark-left2.jpg

Here is a close-up of the TOP:

CarouselPark-Top2.jpg

[This message has been edited by vangelo (edited 11-16-2003).]

Hi Mitch, Looks great. I must mention that the Aunt who recently passed would have been very, very happy to see all this.

Thanx!