Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

So where's the circus?

This is a cropped view of a slide dated May 1965. There is a very wide open space where the Continental Circus once stood. It's surprising that they didn't do anything to fill in this big hole before the Fair reopened for 1965. Does anyone know when the circus pulled out? And did they eventually put anything in this spot?

missing-circus.jpg

Hey Bill, another difference between these two photos is the mysterious blue & white awning next to the Santa Maria entrance.

I knew it got added in '65, but until now I didn't realize it wasn't added until sometime after May 1965....

...still no clue what was under the blue & white awning. In '64 it was just a patch of gravel, next to the fence adjoing the Florida Pavilion property.

I had seen that Set 30 photo and at first thought they may have been taking down the circus when it was shot, but didn't spot the blue awning. I will pull out the original slides for Set 30 and see if they have a date on them.

The tent that is shown right next to the Monorail station in the 'later in 65' photo could not be left over from the Circus- it's sitting right on the edge of where the BIG TENT had been previously. Also notice that the red & white fencing has been moved. In your May 65 photo, the fences are located just as they were when the big tent was erected.

Seems like I've heard that they put a 'kiddy' amusement park in there- with cheap carnival type rides. Maybe the tent next to the Station was a petting zoo or something (just guessing).

Looks like some of the smaller structures that are erected in the last picture might be ticket booths, which might have been intended to sell tickets on individual kiddy rides. Only in this picture I don't see kiddy rides (yet).

You're right, the dates might help.

There's also one thing to be careful about when looking at the month-year printed on slides.

If you're like my dad, sometimes he wouldn't take a roll down to the developer until WEEKS after he'd taken the last shot.

So something dated July might have been taken in May- ESPECIALLY the first few shots on the roll.

Now if I were to try to stretch that argument and say that your 'May '65' photo could have actually been taken in late October '64......well that would be just that- a pretty big stretch. I'd say two months earlier than the printed date at MOST, as a general rule.

But that could certainly make it plausible that the photo could have been taken a few weeks before the Fair opened in the spring of '65.

In your higher resolution scan of it, is there anything in the photo to indicate that the Fair is open (Glide-a-Rides towing people around, for instance?

Randy

I know what you mean about dates on slide s- I have some from 66, 67 and even 68 of the Fair. I would say this was was safely 65 though. It's part of a sequence that looks like early in the season from the foliage and what people are wearing. Not from before the Fair as the other shots have people everywhere.