Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

Post 39-40 Shows at the Aquacade

I remember awhile back someone showed a program for a water show that played at the amphitheatre in the early 50's. Does anyone know if these were a regular attraction and who produced them? Jones Beach and Guy Lombardo used to produce all the shows at the Jones Beach Theatre. I wonder if something like that existed for Flushing Meadows or were these touring water shows, just like there are touring companies of Broadway and Off Broadway shows?

The events at the Aquacade were regular, each weekend during the summer months. My father, bless his sole love live events, my sister and I spent our childhood going to Broadway shows, Radio City, The Apollo, Murray the K Rock n’ Roll Revenues and if you could believe the Aquacade shows.

The shows would start out in front of the Aquacade with all this commotion, the show would move inside and all would follow. It was a great magical way to spend a summer night. I don’t believe they were touring shows, but were more Ed Sullivan type of spontaneity, very timely and fresh.

I have told before, how the Aquacade alone at the end of Meadow Lake looked like a enchanted castle all lit-up with color lights at the edge of the park.

PS Some times, we would sneak into Radio City through the subway entrance by walking through the crowd backwards. If an usher looked at us, we just started walking forward, hay my dad was from Brooklyn.

WOW, HOODLOCK!! I never thought that anytime in my life I'd be hearing about the "walking backwards" routine again.

In Ft. Lee N.J., my first such experience took place when my friend and I were having dinner at a Howard Johnson's back in the late fifties. I remember it well, because Carmel Quinn who was on the Arthur Godfrey TV show was at the next table.

After waiting for our check for over twenty minutes, my friend said to me, "Stand up and walk backwards with me toward the front door". We then ambled successfully past the cash register and out the door to the parking lot by shuffling backwards, slowly. The dinner was therefore 'on the house'.

I never did it again, folks, but that incident was always a conversation piece... something I learned from an inventive New Yorker of that period.

Hey Hoodlock~ Do you know if Alan Freed did any Rock and Roll shows at the Aquacade in the 1950's? Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, any of those performers ever play there?

Hi All,

It was Elliot Murphy's Watershow or Aquacade in the 1950's - programs, tickets and photographs from this period are very scarce indeed.

Best,

MB