Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Palm tree question

Between the '64 and '65 seasons, were the many palm trees at the Florida Pavilion transplanted to a greenhouse or other warm location, so as to protect them from freeze damage?

...just wondered...

Randy

Good question,

From my experience gropwing up on the Jersey shore, there were palm trees planted at various mini golf courses, resorts etc up and down the boardwalk. For the cold season, they just "wrapped" them up to protect them. If heat tape (or any other type of technology)was used, is unknown to me. However they were "wrapped", it seemed to work. Those palms were fine every year.

Chances are, Florida pavilion did the same.

------------------

Peace

Isn't it possible that the palms were fake? Certainly would be easier to be sure that they'd always look good....just a thought.

I am sure that the trees were real, based on every picture I have seen. I think they do pretty well when wrapped up against the wind, but it is also possible they brought in a new set of trees for the second season.

Some pertinent Bill Cotter photos-

1965. Real palm trees have the fronds on top tied up vertically when they're first transplanted, and it takes a while for the fronds to drop lower after the bindings are cut loose (see palm tree on right).

Also note what looks like a dead palm tree with brown fronds in the middle of the picture. Never heard of an artifical dead palm tree! biggrin.gif Maybe the winter snow got to it.

Florida.jpg

Citrus trees at the Florida pavilion. Hard to fake.

Citrus_trees.jpg

And finally some closer-up flamingos with palm trees pictures. Note the freshly planted grass turf.

Flamingos_at_pool.jpg

Flamingos.jpg

There are also pictures of similar palm trees at the Polynesian Restaurant, and pineapple plants at the Hawaii Pavilion.

Here's an observation-

look at the two Flamingo photos.

I think it's the same pool- the same aqua colored house is in the backgrounds- I think they had a poinsettia display there.

Anyway, I think the first photo is '64- chicken wire fence and new turf-

second photo is '65- no chicken wire- just chain-link fence now.

But look at the palm trees-

totally different!!!

So I think they took them out for the winter.

(or they came back in early spring to find them all dead from frostbite, and had to replace them all)

Randy,

Can you read what is on that Historical Marker in the photo with the Santa Maria? The marker is directly left of the ship next to the blue building. Is that "NY State" or "Florida state" marker?

Randy.