Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Change for the '65 season

I'm working on my feature on the Santa Maria, and I'm endeavouring to note the changes to the exhibit between the '64 and '65 seasons.

1965_canopy.jpg

One of the changes is seen in this '65 photo- a striped awning was added next to the exhibit's 'castle' entrance. Does anybody know what was under this awning? It is clearly on the 'Santa Maria plaza' side of the wall which separated it from the Florida Pavilion.

In '64 there was some shrubbery and palm trees in this area, as seen in this '64 photo:

1964_special_photo.jpg

Anybody know what the awning was for?

Randy

Interesting, too, is that there are no cube luminaire street lights.

They were there...those pictures just didn't show the right angle to see them...

try these 1964 pics...

1964_006.jpg

1964_007.jpg

Randy

I'm endeavouring to note the changes to the exhibit between the '64 and '65 seasons.

1965_canopy.jpg

One of the changes is seen in this '65 photo- a striped awning was added next to the exhibit's 'castle' entrance. Does anybody know what was under this awning? It is clearly on the 'Santa Maria plaza' side of the wall which separated it from the Florida Pavilion.

In '64 there was some shrubbery and palm trees in this area, as seen in this '64 photo:

1964_special_photo.jpg

Anybody know what the awning was for?

Randy

Mike, your new photo finally answers this question. It was a restaurant that was added for the '65 season! Undoubtedly to try to snag people coming off the monorail ride.

T19P58.jpg

I appreciate these photographs from the Amusement section of the Fair. When I visited with my parents and my sister we only had a few days and my parents decided to focus on the major pavilions and as many of the other exhibits in the other "zones" as possible, and we skipped the Amusement section entirely. Their theory was that the state, corporate and international pavilions were once-in-a-lifetime experiences while the attractions in the Amusement area would be available in the future (state fairs etc.). I believe they made a good choice. (I do not mean this as any detraction on the exhibits in the Amusement area.)

However, just two years later, when I took a class trip to Expo 67 at the age of 14, I did the same thing myself. We had three days and many of my peers hit La Ronde and stayed there for the entire trip. Another group of us saw as many of the big pavilions as possible. We also visited many of the smaller gems at Expo as well. I now fully understand that the great buildings at each of those fairs were "once-in-a-lifetime."