Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

Advertising Tie-Ins

This ad was in the paper two days before the fair opened. You think KLM could have found a picture of the Unisphere with the orbits on it.

Don't ask me why but I remember both of my grandmothers buying these bras. They came in a box with Jane Russell on them.

It amazes me how little tie-in there seems to have been by the major fair exhibitors in their national ads. GE did one or two, as did the Gas pavilion sponsors, but Bell, for example, seems to have been content to run a ot of ads that completely ignored the fair during 64 and 65.

in my collection i have a coupon book... it doesnt look like its from SAKS...

on the corners it says its a "SAV-PAK Book" idk what that means hehe

but its never been used...

Interesting how Saks is differentiating their "brand" marketing in this ad. No mention of the 5th Avenue store.....hmmm.

Was the Fair too lowbrow for 5th's clientele?

This has to have been the ultimate ad tie-in to the Fair with this "Lucky Number" Sweepstakes. Wonder if all thousand grand prizes were ultimately awarded? (that's kind of a high number for grand prizes!)

gallery_6_89197.jpg

I never noticed that non-existent structure in the Sweepstakes ad! Taking a closer look at it, the only thing it has even the slightest resemblance to (and I emphasize slightest) is the shape of the World Of Food pavilion altered into something unrecognizable with the outdoor spiraling walkway added to the front, that the artist may have been forced to do once that pavilion got cancelled. It's only when I look at the top circular ring of that spiral walkway and then the curved wall behind that the vague resemblance to WOF becomes evident.

Danish Hams gave away 1000 fair tickets (1 to a winner not even a pair) and runners up got products.

Every time I see a canned imported ham, I think of when I first went to work for my current employer- it was known then as Douglas Aircraft Company (the maker of DC- jets).

Every year they'd give a canned ham to every employee for Christmas (in lieu of a bonus or any other special incentive compensation).

The real reason? They had a long term contract to sell jets (a handful a year for something like ten years) to the Yugoslavian state airline, and the cash-poor Yugoslavians, in order to close the deal, said they'd pay a portion of the cost in Yugoslavian hams. Surprisingly Douglas accepted the offer, and that's why we got hams at Christmas every year. The company even had a 'ham office' where employees could go any time of the year and buy one of those hams at a cut rate price.

I guess that's what they call commodity trading... airplanes for pigs

It doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to figure out why Douglas ran themselves out of the commercial airline business.

Boeing doesn't give us hams. There are various incentive compensation arrangements instead, with payouts based on company performance statistics. I think I like the cash better than the pork.

• Like 1

Look at this ad for the Unisphere charms. I think D is the one that recently was for sale on E-Bay but I don't recall if it was 14k?

I think Marchal may have made lower-priced versions of these, without the 14K gold finish.

In fact, I think I may have a "d" somewhere. But I didn't realize if you push the bottom, it lights up. Hmmmm.....I'll have to dig it out and check. Looks like it's made to take a "button" battery, kind of like a watch.

I think it's in a huge plastic zip lock freezer bag full of nothing but '64-65 NYWF jewelry, at the bottom of a big box of '64-65 NYWF ashtrays. Might take me a while to find it.

There's one on eBay right now-

If that's really an LED it's really high tech for 1964, since it was first demonstrated in 1962! More likely it's a small incandescent bulb or it has been refitted? I seem to recall the first consumer use as LED watch displays in the early 70's.