Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

Quaker Oats

Mary Ellen, now that you asked, I shall tell you. I remember walking home through the Lake Amusement Area one evening. As I came down the Lake Amusement Bridge, I heard a boom and saw someone fly across the sky into a net across the way. On closer inspection, I discovered the flying person came from a large cannon. Behind this cannon was a six-foot by fifteen-foot structure, standing about 35 feet high. This building was fashioned to look like a giant box of Quaker Oats Puffed Rice. Like Brigadoon, it seemed to be gone the next week. For years I looked for information about this, but never saw or heard anything connected with this exhibit. Last week, I discovered this listed in the Fair Calendar for June 28, 1965:

1:30 P.M. -- Manshoot: the human cannonballs, George and Nancy Zacchini, will be shot 65 feet in the air to land in a net 140 feet away. Again at 3, 4:30 and 6 P.M. daily. Outside Quaker Puffed Cereals House in Lake Area.

Eureka, I found it…I don't know how long it went on but it did happen.

Next mystery is to find out to whom the tents belong to, the ones located to the rear of and between Greece and Morocco. They can clearly be seen at nywf64.com in "The Fair from the Air".

George's Uncle Mario worked at the 39' fair. <a href="http://www.goodbyemag.com/jan99/zacchini.html" target="_blank">http://www.goodbyemag.com/jan99/zacchini.html</a>

Hi Hoodlock!

Believe or not I may be able to answer your question. From what I can see and from what my father had told me years ago, this area is the bazaar area of the Morroccan Pavilion where one could purchase hand made items from Morocco. I still have this tiny hooded kaftan(the official costume of Morrocco) that my father acquired while he was manager of the restaurant at the Morrocan Pavilion. Unfortunatley my fahter has passed away,but perhaps I can ask my sisters, who are considerably older than me to view the photograph you are talking about and confirm it with them. I will e-mail it to them this evening.

P.S. Sir Hood!Can u post that photograph in this thread so that I can research it?

As a matter of fact I think I will post the a group shot of the "1964" Season Moroccan Pavilion Restaurant Staff for all 64-65 NYWF Fans to enjoy.

Bill Young - I will need your help in posting the photograph. I know I sent a pic of the construction at the Hall of Science that was never posted.

Take care,

Futurama

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 06-11-2002).]

Futurama, you can clearly see the tents in the link below:

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/aerials14.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/aerials14.html</a>

The tents are in the lower right corner. They are not part of Morocco, as you can see a sidewalk was added to accommodate the exhibit. I was in the largest of the tents, but can't remember who the host was.

Hey Fute, I can't recall you ever telling us that your Dad worked at the Fair. (Could be wrong, though). That's neat! What was his name?

Hi Mike!

Yeah I had mentioned it when I first bcame a member of the forum...I told you, you guys were ignoring me - LOL!

Take care.

Futurama

Yup. Send the pic and I'll post it. Will look for the Hall of Science picture as well. I don't remember seeing it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I get addled sometimes. I'll look tonight and will post it if I can find it and will let you know if I can't.

Send to: mailto:webmaster@nywf64.com