Sign in to follow this  
r0tgmqt

The Fair Led Me To Today

I found that one, too, Denise.  I hope this isn't the World's Fair kid, too.

Hmmmm.......How long did it take the police to find him?

I did find another Dominick Tucci, who is listed as the Senior VP of Construction at Russo Development in Hackensack, New Jersey. Now, a construction interest could explain a need to spend nearly two weeks hiding out at the fair! This could be our guy.

I was sure that the original article (in its entirety) was on nywf64.com, but I looked last night and couldn't find it. For one thing, nywf64.com's search engine seems to be "down".

Anyway, I recall that the article explained where they found him- he'd been hiding in the same place every night- and for some reason I've got it in MY brain that it was the Coca-Cola Pavilion. And I thought somebody here thought it was back in a dark area (curtains/partitions, or whatever) behind the blue Jeep which had a Coke bottle sitting on it. We've got a couple of good color pictures of that Jeep.

Does anybody know where the full original article is located on-line?

I have a cell phone number (don't ask) for Dominick Tucci Sr., the v.p. of construction guy from Hackensack N.J. Umm.....don't want to call. Anyone else feel brave? If so, just let me know and I'll send you the cell phone number.

Denise

One of our PTUers is a feature writer at a Long Island newspaper (Newsday?) who likes to do World's Fair stories. This sounds like a great human interest story- '40th Anniversary of World's Fair Stoaway- Where he is Today!'

Maybe he can tell us untrainees about what Journalism ethics (assuming there is such a thing these days) would suggest at this point. Is it kosher to "cold call" somebody's cell phone number? Woodward & Bernstein would have done it in a heartbeat, but maybe those were special circumstances, not just a human interest story. Maybe our newspaper friend can also suggest or help with some investigative techniques at his disposal- like perhaps checking their archives to see if their World's Fair story on the kid included a hometown or maybe an address for the kid's family, and then trying to track them down where the family went from a '64-65 starting point.

I was a news director and reporter for most of my career. It is okay to call people for an actual news story on their cell, but this is a little in the grey area. If nobody wants to call, I'll try and get his e-mail.

Denise

I saw that you had tracked down the phone numbers. That was excellent work! It would be so great to find this guy and get him to write a little piece on his experience for the site.

Okay. I grabbed the bull by the horns and called the new Dominick Tucci on his cell phone. He's not the right guy but he was incredibly fascinated with the story of the Dom Tucci at the fair. He is not related to the guy we are looking for.

He kept me on the phone forever talking about the fair! Cool guy.

The search continues.

I was sure that the original article (in its entirety) was on nywf64.com, but I looked last night and couldn't find it.  For one thing, nywf64.com's search engine seems to be "down".

Anyway, I recall that the article explained where they found him- he'd been hiding in the same place every night- and for some reason I've got it in MY brain that it was the Coca-Cola Pavilion.  And I thought somebody here thought it was back in a dark area (curtains/partitions, or whatever) behind the blue Jeep which had a Coke bottle sitting on it.  We've got a couple of good color pictures of that Jeep.

Does anybody know where the full original article is located on-line?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if this is the link you're talking about, but it seems to include all of what you remember. The paragraph about Dominick is about halfway down the page. There's also a reference about getting the information on Dominick's exploits from the Saturday Evening Post.

http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Rash/words/in_1965.htm

Thanks Tom! This article spells his name Dominic, without the "k".

Start the search over again!!!

It also said his family was from Long Island. Well, that's helpful. That should narrow it down to a couple billion Dominic Tucci's.

Here's the Coca-Cola jeep that he hid behind. It was in the Angkor Wat area.

17_Coca-Cola_Pavilion.jpg

I don't know who the kid in the Atlantic City t-shirt is, but this photo was taken in July '64, so who knows- Dominic could be peaking through those green vines!!!

I can see Bill Cotter now, fishing out the original slide and getting his magnifying glass....

Great picture, Randy. If memory serves me correctly, wasn't there a shaky wooden foot bridge you had to cross over in this area? And drums -- I remember drums like from a Tarzan movie.

Ahhhhh..........so it was the lifeboat that he hid in at Coca-Cola, not the jungle behind the jeep at Angkor Wat.

That would mean the Rio cruise exhibit:

011_-_Coca-Cola_interior_-_deck_of_ship.jpg

©Bill Cotter, Set 73, Picture #011

Actually if you were this kid would you reveal ALL of your hideout locations? After all, the '65 season was still to come. He probably just told them the lousiest and kept the best locations his secret, in case he wanted to try it again.

The article says a lady finally recognized him at a shoe exhibit. Where might that be? I've heard that Johnson Wax had some automatic shoe shine machines.

Yes, he'd make a good interview 40 years later.

I asked him if anyone in his family was the Dominick Tucci we are looking for, but he never responded to that question. He told me that he wasn't born in 64/65 and that was pretty much the extent of our corrrespondence.

D

Hi Denise,

I've contacted Randy Treadway and Bill Cotter regarding Dominick Tucci. He's my brother and , sadly, passed away in 2001. I'm looking for magazine and news articles for his daughter and other young family members. The only magazine I've come across so far is the 'Saturday Evening Post' but I seem to remember a pictured article in 'Look' or 'Life' Magazine but I'm not sure. I was 5. I've been unable to locate the particular issue because I don't have the actual date.

I'm wondering if you know of it or can direct me to it and anything else that might be available. I came across this site by accident and am excited to know the the legend of my brothers adventures is still talked about here. It was greatly downplayed in the family. Nick was the oldest of 7 at the time and my parents didn't want to glorify his adventure. Any information will be appreciated.

Sincere Thanks,

Gloria Tucci