Sign in to follow this  
r0tgmqt

The Fair Led Me To Today

Here is a picture of a kid who lived 12 days at the fair. I'm sure they kissed him for the cameras and beat the living s#@t out of him when they got home.

Anybody care to take 'dibs' on whether this is the guy:

<a href="http://www.caricature.org/directory/tuccid.htm" target="_blank">http://www.caricature.org/directory/tuccid.htm</a>

Who wants to take a stab in the dark and e-mail him?

I sent him an e-mail as well. I want to interview him for my book. This may actually be his son. I read a brief bio that said he graduated in 1990 from college, I believe.

If this one graduated from college in 1990, that kind of reduces the likelihood of it being his son, since he would have to have been born in 1968-69 when the Dominick of Fair fame would only have been 16 or 17.

In my search, besides the artist, I found somebody by the same name who won 3rd prize in a car restoration contest for a '68 Mustang. 12 years old in '64 or '65- interest in a '68 Mustang? And he's in New Jersey. Coincidence?

Maybe it's the same guy as the artist.

Also I found somebody who was in Junior High at the time the web page was put together (not sure when that was) with the same name. Also in New Jersey. Maybe the son of the artist?

Maybe every generation of this family names one of their boys Dominick, just like dad.

Oh yes, I found ANOTHER person of the same name who won some kind of bronze star or something in the Army. Not sure when. What state was he from? New Jersey of course. Is it the artist? The World's Fair adventurer? Who knows.

Here's something odd- while there's a heck of a lot of New Jersey Dominicks on the web (mostly that artist), the parents names in the article are Benito and Lillian.

And how many web hits did either of them turn up? A big fat zero! It's like they never existed.

I figure the Dominick we want has to be about 52 or 53 now.

Maybe Dominick went in the Army right out of High School, earned his medal, then after getting out decided to go to college, graduating 1990 at about age 40, and then became a caricaturist. And now is married, two kids, one of which is also named Dominick and is in Junior High.

See- it all fits together! Let's hope he didn't go AWOL in the Army, only to be found weeks later in the base bowling alley reading comic books! (the cartoon interest angle)

You guys are fantastic. I'm sure the article I read had a picture of the kid with his parents. Although I can't swear this is the one, I'd bet a wad of twenties it is!

chmno:

Not sure what your name is, but thanks for digging this up. Where on earth did you find it? I'm thinking it was it was an AP article and went to all of the major papers. Since I lived in Bristol, CT at the time, I probably read it in The Hartford Courant. An article did go along with it, because I distinctly remember things like the kid fished change out of fountains and scrounged in wastebaskets for food. Also, I believe the article stated that the Pinkertons who discovered him said he was quite dirty -- I guess many days in the same clothes would do that.

I'm back in school to get my Masters and have access to the LA & NY Times on line and found it scanning the West coast paper for their material on the fair. I'm finding a treasure trove of unusual things.

I'm a part-time college reference librarian and those are great services, being able to access all of the articles (though where I work, we only get the NY Times). That's the sort of thing that should be the wave of the future in general for researchers who need more conveient access to old newspaper and magazine articles.

I wish the LI Press was on line it was a large format paper like the times and used pictures very heavily. I have many original pics from the fair cut out of old issues but I'm sure there are hundreds more.

Well, I will be getting a generous amount of photocopied clips from the NYPL Fair clippings file pretty soon, and they come from all of the local NY papers that are now defunct (Journal-American, Herald-Tribune, LI Press) and be posting them here. The subject clip files at the NYPL with every set of photocopied clippings (originals are arranged in chronological folders) arranged by Pavilion are a great untapped resource and fairly easy to go through.

Thanks again, guys! Your knowledge and resources are invaluable to those of us who don't know where to start. Let us know if you ever hear back from Dominick.

And I take it he has no idea who IS the World's Fair Dominick? I would think in the extended Tucci family, the story would be legendary.

Maybe a clue to track down the parents?

There is a Benito Tucci- born 1927 (now age 77)

and a Lillian Tucci- born 1930 (now age 74)

both in Denver, Colorado

that means in 1964 these two would have been 37 (Benito) and 34 (Lillian). How does that compare to the photo? Do they look mid-30s-ish?

But they're at different street addresses in Denver. A divorce perhaps? or maybe one of the two is a nursing home?

There are several other possibilities (reasonable age range) for Lillian Tucci around the country, but far less for a Benito, and Denver seems to be the only place that finds them in the same town.

I asked him if anyone in his family was the Dominick Tucci we are looking for, but he never responded to that question. He told me that he wasn't born in 64/65 and that was pretty much the extent of our corrrespondence.

D

Let's hope THIS isn't our Dominick Tucci. Check out the letter he wrote on a Yankee site. Too many expletives to paste it here.

Denise

<a href="http://www.yankeesnewswire.com/fanmail.html" target="_blank">http://www.yankeesnewswire.com/fanmail.html</a>

Hoo boy. I'm as passionate a Yankee fan as they come (though a lot of it got killed after last year's ALCS) but this guy not only gives fandom a bad name, it also gives internet message forums a bad name too.

Good grief....

Let's hope it isn't this Dominick Tucci, either! I found this single entry on the Internet.

Dominick Tucci - Murder of Ann Renski in Oct. 1983