Sign in to follow this  
r0tgmqt

The Fair Led Me To Today

Hello to all --

My name is Tom, and I was amazed to finally find a site like this. The Fair still lives, it seems! I went to the Fair when I was 10 and 11. The thing that still gets me is the view of the Fair, especially of the Unisphere through the hazy morning air, as we drove in from Connecticut. My heart would beat faster as I caught sight of that incredible far-off globe. I have to tell you that over the years and distance (I live in Ohio now) I have had dreams that I have returned. I have actually been awakened by the excited beating of my heart as I saw the Unisphere in my dream.

That's the kind of effect it had on me, anyway. Going to the IBM pavilion led me into computers. GMs Futurama caused me to become an optomistic futurist, despite how things are in the real world. There is always hope -- so goes the lesson of the New York World's Fair. I can still smell waffles with strawberries ...

Anyway, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to say hello. I'm sure I'll have questions for many of you who have been here a while.

Tom,

Welcome to the site. When I read you description of the feeling you had when you would catch that first glimpse of the Unisphere, it brought tears to my eyes. That's the very same feeling I would get whenever we arrived at the fair. I know that most of the people on this site, share this memory, so you have definitely found the right place!

Welcome, Tom.

Denise

Hi, Tom! I still get a twinge of nostalgia every time I get back to NY and see the Unisphere, so I can relate to your thoughts. Welcome to PTU! Fire away with the questions, and what the team can't answer we'll just make up <g>.

welcome to PTU!! so glad to have another fan here

(you'll get to know that i am one of the younger ones here.. but proud to be 18 and in love with the fair hehe)

Hi Tom, loved your post. There are very special people here at the Peace

Through Understanding board. Please come back every day and also take a

look at all the archives. Finally take a look at NYWF64.com if you have not

done that already. Welcome and regards Vladimir.

Welcome, Tom! Although I was 21 when I visited in 1965, your description of the emotions of first seeing the fair are right on with what I remember! What a fabulous place it was! I know you will enjoy hobnobbing with your fellow enthusiasts here! (Is that enough exclamation points? I say NO!!!!!!!!)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Doug, I found PTU by doing searches for NYWF stuff. PTU came up on almost every search, so I thought I’d better check it out.

I love to hear others’ recollections of the Fair, and I see that there are many categories with many posts. I think I will be busy. I am especially interested in the behind-the-scenes stories. What the experience of working at the fair was like. I’ll bet there are some fantastic stories out there, and I’d love to hear them. I guess the story that would interest me most, though, is one that I had only heard about briefly as a kid. I believe I read it in some newspaper, and I don’t think it was fiction. It was about a boy who hid out at the fair for a few weeks. He eluded security for all that time and, I believe, used change from fountains and such to buy food. The thought of this intrigued me, I guess, because it was something that I thought would have been really cool to do, and yet it was something that I would have been too timid to do. So I was wondering … does anyone have more information about this? Can anyone point me to newspaper or magazine articles? I can only hope that this young man - older man these days, if he’s still around - might be involved with a forum such as this, or may have written about his experiences in book or article form. For me, the Fair took on a whole different feel at night. Once all the lights came on, the excitement doubled. Can you imagine being there in the dead of night, the fair empty, except for night employees, you trying to avoid detection, scrounging for food, finding places to hide, to sleep? Now that would be a book I would buy!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Doug, I found PTU by doing searches for NYWF stuff.  PTU came up on almost every search, so I thought I’d better check it out.

I love to hear others’ recollections of the Fair, and I see that there are many categories with many posts.  I think I will be busy.  I am especially interested in the behind-the-scenes stories.  What the experience of working at the fair was like.  I’ll bet there are some fantastic stories out there, and I’d love to hear them.  I guess the story that would interest me most, though, is one that I had only heard about briefly as a kid.  I believe I read it in some newspaper, and I don’t think it was fiction.  It was about a boy who hid out at the fair for a few weeks.  He eluded security for all that time and, I believe, used change from fountains and such to buy food.  The thought of this intrigued me, I guess, because it was something that I thought would have been really cool to do, and yet it was something that I would have been too timid to do.  So I was wondering … does anyone have more information about this?  Can anyone point me to newspaper or magazine articles?  I can only hope that this young man - older man these days, if he’s still around - might be involved with a forum such as this, or may have written about his experiences in book or article form.  For me, the Fair took on a whole different feel at night.  Once all the lights came on, the excitement doubled.  Can you imagine being there in the dead of night, the fair empty, except for night employees, you trying to avoid detection, scrounging for food, finding places to hide, to sleep?  Now that would be a book I would buy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its here on PTU somewhere.However..you will have to read the Mole Man story first.

http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...469entry26469

Regards,Dave

Dave:

Thanks for pointing me to the "mole man" story. People here have a good sense of humor, and I like that! Stories like "mole man" are just what great urban legends are made of.

Tom

Well, now that this legend has reared its head in discussion, I should mention that I have been writing a novel about a similar story entitled "Fair Child." That's what led me to this website over a year ago. My story has a young girl as the lead.

Tom I remember reading a good story about some girl who worked at Belgium

Village and she let a kid sleep in one of it's rooms when everyone left.

Story sounded real, good reading anyhow. Randy probably knows about that

one and where the story is located on this board. I believe it was posted just over

a year ago. Regards Vladimir.

P.S. Go to nywf64.com. Go to site map. Find story title "A World's Fair

Odyssey"... By Craig Bavaro. You will like that one Tom.

That wasn't an urban legend- one of the PTUers here claims to have been the guy who was allowed to sleep in one of the upstairs rooms!

i thought i remmebered hearing about a kid who stayed at the fair and slept in many of the pavillions and i believe got caught at the Vatican Pavillion? i dont know, i could be wrong hehe

and by the way, the :mole man: story was awesome.. hehe

Welcome to PTU, Tom,

Yup, the Fair lives here 40 years into the future. Enjoy! Nice people and a lot of interesing stuff to read.

Best,

Bill

nywf64.com

That wasn't an urban legend- one of the PTUers here claims to have been the guy who was allowed to sleep in one of the upstairs rooms!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is not an "urban legend" that someone spent many a night in the Belgium Village. It was me. Oh, to go back for just one more day!

Hi, Plumber. Could it be true that the kid who slept in Belgium Village is now a fellow Buckeye state native? How long did you get away with it? That must have been an awesome experience. We'd love to hear your story!!!!

Denise, tell us when you publish your novel.

Tom

Hi Plumber, were interested, please tell us the story again.  Or where we can

locate the thread on this board.  Thank you Vladimir.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vladimir, the only links I have found are at:

http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...indpost&p=14462

and,

http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...indpost&p=14468

Plumber:

Thanks for the links. Incredible story. Your friend from the Belgium Village sounded like an amazing lady, and it was our privilege to hear of her.

Tom