Randy Treadway

World's Fair Helicopter model

Hi, Roger. New members can't post images to help reduce spam attacks. I'll send you an e-mail with my address. You can send the picture and I'll add it here for you. Sounds like a nice kit.

Excellent! I'll email you and you can send your jpg back to me and I'll post it here for you. (you're probably caught in the new user time delay before you get full privileges).

I might be interested to build one of these too.

Ha- Bill and I thinking alike. :)

Of course I'd want to put it on top of a 1/72 Port Authority heliport with 1/72 Beatles disembarking. :)

And of course we want the as-first-delivered version before they removed the sponsons, and the early World's Fair-era NYA markings which include the TWA decal. :)

This is from Roger...

I also do a conversion for the S-61N in various colour schemes - have a look at our website:

http://www.whirlybirdmodels.com

The conversions are based on the Revell Sea King Mk.41 kits, but they can also be used with the Fujimi Sea Kings.

post-164-0-94944500-1396105472_thumb.jpg

Here are the two kits it's said to work with...

post-164-0-66204000-1396105756_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-57739600-1396105981_thumb.jpg

For those who weren't aware--- Westland had a final assembly line for Sea Kings under license from Sikorsky.

Okay, my take-- obviously the paint scheme is for the 1970's configuration (with sponsons removed). However, it might not be too hard to convert it to the 1960's World's Fair configuration and paint scheme. To begin with, sponsons (the "floats" for the front landing gear) are already in the basic Revell or Fujimi kit.

You can get the New York Airways decals from Scalemates in 1/72 scale- for the NYA Chinook but it will probably work okay on the S-61 too.

post-164-0-13024000-1396107658_thumb.jpg

Masking the paint scheme doesn't look too tough from World's Fair photos (we have plenty of those).

That leaves the TWA logo on the tail boom. There are plenty of those available in 1/72 scale. Here's one intended for a 1/72 Boeing 707 that includes the TWA logo.

post-164-0-30265600-1396107441_thumb.jpg

You do need the Whirlybirds conversion kit to get it from a Sea King configuration to a S-61L configuration--- that encompasses many things but the most obvious are the passenger windows.

Here is a composite photo of one of the NYA World's Fair S-61's. Clearly on the tail boom it says S-61N, however we had previously confirmed that these were promotional versions produced by the Sikorsky marketing people and was a hybrid between the S-61L and S-61N.

Whirlybirds makes conversion kits for both, so to be perfect you'd have to get both conversion kits and use appropriate parts from each. For instance the World's Fair S-61's didn't have the protruding nose radar housing, but it DID have the S-61N version of the sponsons rather than the military naval version. And it had the S-61N passenger seats and windows.

post-164-0-79720000-1396111109_thumb.jpg

The nose on that Fujimi kit looks pretty close to the NYA World's Fair nose, so it's probably easiest to get that one along with the Whirlybirds S-61N conversion kit, and simply leave the Fujimi nose in place instead of replacing it with the bulbous radar housing.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/16/t/148147.aspx

I can't remember if we shared this before--- but here's the same helicopter- N4606G- as the composite photo above... in later service in San Francisco. I see that they installed screens to protect the engines from bird ingestion. And the sponson brace has been downsized.

SFO_Helicopters_Airlines_S-61L_N4606G.jp

Regarding the 1963 helicopter landings at the Port Authority Pavilion, I saw a black and white picture in a vintage Air

Travel magazine that may document the occasion. I recall seeing an S-61N parked on the roof, and not in NYA markings!

The magazine predates the opening of the fair. The helicopter was marked with a stripe similar to those used on SFO

(San Francisco and Oakland Airlines) and/or PIA, but it seemed to have large "S I K O R S K Y" titles. I wonder which bird

that was.

Screen capture from the British Pathe newsreel footage of October 16, 1963 (carrying the two governors for the Heliport opening), shows that it was N653X, which was the second or third S-61 built. It did not go to New York Airways. I suspect that the "X" suffix on this bird (along with N652X) means it was used initially by Sikorsky for aircraft certification and route-proving.

Note that next to the passenger door is painted 'Provisional Airworthiness', which to me means they hadn't received the final type certification yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5feuXIW58

It's been a long time & I don't know how I missed this, but thanks a million for that info Randy! Those Pathe films are great! Lots of history there! I recently found another that shows that NYA BV-107 painted in Pan Am colors (1 of 2) at night, when service began from the Pan Am building on the evening of Dec. 21, 1964.

Interesting to see that the "T-Building" (as it was called) was the first to open at the NYWF, and that the restaurant opened as well. I think the Unisphere was also completed fairly early.

P.S. - how did you know that it was Oct. 16th? Another source? I could not find the date in the newsreel . . .

Edited by Vince
corrections & additions

Here is a composite photo of one of the NYA World's Fair S-61's . . .

post-164-0-79720000-1396111109_thumb.jpg

First time I see the right half of that photo! Thanks Randy! We now know that the Beatles flew in on a NYA BV-107 in 1965 but flew out on one of the Sikorsky S-61N's - there was a B&W photo found on the internet a while back which confirms this. Perhaps they landed back where they started (the Wall St. Heliport) and were driven back to their hotel . . .

This is from Roger...

I also do a conversion for the S-61N in various colour schemes - have a look at our website:

http://www.whirlybirdmodels.com

The conversions are based on the Revell Sea King Mk.41 kits, but they can also be used with the Fujimi Sea Kings.

Nice! I want one! Just waiting for the new Whirlybirds website to go up!