Even though they are reruns, I really enjoyed seeing "The Great Race" tonight

on GSN at 9:00 P.M. The final episode of this race ended on the #7 line with

the winners running to the Unisphere. I really enjoyed all the camera angles on

the train and thru the park. Regards Vladimir

I thought you were talking about the great Jack Lemmon - Tony Curtis film of the same name. It, too, had a NYWF connection. Here's a shot of Professor Fate's car at the Travel & Transportation Pavilion:

nywf-hannibal-8.jpg

The "Leslie Special" was also on display there.

Great shot of that, Bill! That's been a favorite film of mine too, as Lemmon really gets to show why he was the most diverse comic actor of the 60s.

Seeing that car in that setting keeps giving me visions of them leaving it there after the Fair and then demolishing the pavilion with the command, "Push the button, Max!"

I though the same thing, Eric! Except, with the professor's luck, that would have been the end of the Unisphere and not the intended targets. I've used that expression at times and no one has a clue as to what I was talking about (not that uncommon an event I'm afraid).

A great film indeed.

I though the same thing, Eric! Except, with the professor's luck, that would have been the end of the Unisphere and not the intended targets. I've used that expression at times and no one has a clue as to what I was talking about (not that uncommon an event I'm afraid).

A great film indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mmmm - pie!

I thought you were talking about the great Jack Lemmon - Tony Curtis film of the same name. It, too, had a NYWF connection. Here's a shot of Professor Fate's car at the Travel & Transportation Pavilion:

nywf-hannibal-8.jpg

I saw this car today at the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. It is displayed in the upraised position (used to good effect in the movie).

hannibal8-1965greatrace.jpg

They also had one of the six surviving Chrysler turbine cars. I'm not sure whether the one on display was one of the ones at the World's Fair, but of course it's identical if not one of the very ones. The one at the Peterson is #991244 . It was the first time I recall seeing one, other than photographs (if I saw one at Chrysler-and I DO remember the Chrysler lagoon at the World's Fair- I just don't recall the turbine cars). It struck me today how they made the seats an identical copper color matching the exterior paint, right down to a metal flake look. I've never seen seat upholstery even in the neighborhood of a color like that. It's quite striking in person- a lot more than in photos.

I believe that the confusion between the CBS game show and the Jack Lemmon movie is because the game show is actually called "The Amazing Race", rather than "The Great Race". An easy enough mistake to make. My wife and I are big fans of the show, but unfortunately we didn't start watching it until the second season (which means that I missed the frist season finale with the Unisphere ). And we don't have cable so I can't see it on the Game Show Network. Maybe I'll eventually pick it up on DVD.

While on the subject of "The Amazing Race" though I should mention that there was another World's Fair related task recently. During the "Family Edition" season (which was pretty universally disliked by fans of the show) one of the episodes brought the teams to Montreal and the Biosphere on the Expo67 grounds!

<a href="http://janroncommunications.com/pr-cbs-reality-show.html" target="_blank">http://janroncommunications.com/pr-cbs-reality-show.html</a>

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like the "Family Edition". Too bad I had given up on it, as I would have liked to see the Expo 67 grounds.

I just rescanned the picture of the Hannibal 8 and thought I would update this thread.

hannibal-8-1.jpg

Here's a view of the car when it was at the now closed Movie World museum in 1979. It was great fun seeing it up close.

hannibal-8-2.jpg

The car on the left in that shot is the Leslie Special, driven in the movie by Tony Curtis. Here it is at the Fair:

leslie-special.jpg

Take a close look inside. Some kid has climbed behind the wheel and is sitting there reading something!

Some differences on the Hannibal 8 photos. The Hannibal 8 lettering was repainted, cone over the lower center headlamp, and 15 years definitely didn't help that rear window!

Thanks for the rescan. Didn't notice before that it actually had California plates.

My classic 66 Thunderbird Town Landau has those same type of California plates. In fact the DMV tried to take them away from me when I registered the car 11 years ago and I had to insist on keeping them.