Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Care to join me for a night jaunt around the Fair?

We set the time machine to September 14, 1965 and jump in. Let 'er rip!

Now remember, you can look but don't touch. We don't want to mess up the space-time continuum. (thanks Scotty!)

Got that vintage time exposure camera ready? Okay- here we go----

Hey look, there's the American Express map, and a distorted looking reflection of a box luminaire!

65-09-20-02_American_Express_map.jpg

Absolutely awesome! I just love that U.S. Pavilion with those green & blue panels that seem to glow, the fountains, and the entire building perched on those four little pylons. I'd give it the architecture first prize for the entire world's fair.

65-09-20-04_United_States_Pavilion.jpg

Ah yes, the Unisphere. Never fails to please. How I wish we could get all those little city lights to work, back in the 21st century.

65-09-20-05_Unisphere.jpg

Thirsty? How 'bout one of those drinks with the little umbrella in it?

65-09-20-06_Polynesian_Restaurant.jpg

The fountain sure looks nice tonight, doesn't it? And that purple Tower of Light-... Light, what light? As usual cameras have trouble capturing the "world's most powerful" light beam up close. We'll try again later.

65-09-20-07_Fountains_of_the_Fairs.jpg

Ah yes, another classic view! I wonder if Dexter would buy this one from me, to make a postcard?

65-09-20-08_Fountains_of_the_Fairs.jpg

Best light display of the Fair. Too bad the folks back in the 21st century will only get a small semblance of how it looks, in these still pictures. The colorful programmed movement of the light bands was the most amazing part of the 'show'.

65-09-20-09_General_Electric_Pavilion.jpg

It's a hot night- up for a moonlight swim?

65-09-20-10_Fountain_of_the_Planets.jpg

Hey look, it's Verizon! Maybe I can get an extra battery for my cellphone in there- whadda ya think?

65-09-20-11_Bell_Telephone_Pavilion.jpg

Now THERE'S that light beam! We just had to back off from it a ways.

65-09-20-13_Fountain_of_the_Planets.jpg

Hmmm.....empty queue----must not be too popular. Maybe there's not anything worth seeing inside. Yeh, you're right- we can just wait 'til it comes out on a 45.

Uh...what's a 45?

65-09-20-14_Travelers_Insurance_Pavilion.jpg

IBM looks fun- let's do it! Oh, that's right, look but don't touch.

65-09-20-15_IBM_People_Wall.jpg

Coke? Refreshing? Yes! Just what the doctor ordered!

65-09-20-16_Coca_Cola_Pavilion.jpg

Wow.....now that's a light bulb manufacturer's dream. You could play a football game under that canopy.

65-09-20-17_Festival_of_Gas.jpg

Okay, time's up. The time machine won't return after the clock strikes, so gotta get goin'.

What, you don't want to leave? Don't worry, we'll be back soon. Just keep visiting PTU!

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy I feel like I was back there looking at these pics. What a great way to start the day, thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a real treat, Randy... THANKS!

But stop the presses! What's the deal with that streetlight on the corner in the Polynesia shot?

Not a cube luminaire!!!!!

Makes no sense.

China is right there, though, to the left of Polynesia... so the shot was taken from the Court of the Astronauts. Strange.

wow.. i have never seen pictures of the fair at night really (well in B+W..)

and wow.. those are amazing. the US Pavillion is beautiful at night.. wow...

thanks for posting!

~Jess

Hi Jess,

He's probably too modest to bring this up, but if you're really into color photos of the Fair...

Bill Cotter has some excellent CD's for you...

<a href="http://www.billcotter.com/nywf/photos.htm" target="_blank">http://www.billcotter.com/nywf/photos.htm</a>

(PS - I've been posting reduced-size versions of many of his photos on the Ford Pavilion discussion this week, so I don't feel too badly about the giving him a shame-less plug).

Best Regards,

Kevin

oooooooo. this is random, but is he the one who sells those picture CDs on EBAY? because ive been thinking about getting them.

hehe

but i'll def. check out that site, thanks Yadda!

Jess, the comment at the Traveler's Pavilion, about no need to go inside, just 'wait 'til the 45 comes out' is kind of an inside joke here at PTU.

Do you know what the 'Traveler's 45' is all about?

oooooooo. this is random, but is he the one who sells those picture CDs on EBAY?  because ive been thinking about getting them.

hehe

but i'll def. check out that site, thanks Yadda!

Yup, that's me!

Thanks for the plug, Kevin

Jess, the comment at the Traveler's Pavilion, about no need to go inside, just 'wait 'til the 45 comes out' is kind of an inside joke here at PTU.

Do you know what the 'Traveler's 45' is all about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*eep* i dont know about that

my history of the fair is very limited, because, well i dontknow why it is haha. but i do have the "triumph of man" 45 record.. if that has anything to do with it haha..

id love to know about it!

Yes, you have in your hands exactly the subject of a long history of PTU chuckles.

It seems that the insurance company ordered up those 45s to give out at the Fair, but ordered something like a hundred times as many records as they could possibly give away.

There were stories years after of Traveler's showing up at insurance trade conventions and stuff with boxes and boxes and boxes of them trying to give them away. And when somebody asked 'are those free, can I have one?' they'd say 'not only can you have one, here- take ten!'.

Today they are probably the #1 64-65 NYWF souvenir found on eBay, and are probably really only worth about 3 cents (based on rarity and the collector marketplace saturated with them), but sellers inevitably ask for five or ten dollars starting bid, and often claim them to be a 'great rarity'. Ha!

Somewhere there's even a PTU thread where many of us suggested uses to which these red vinyl 45's could be put- stuff like frisbee contests and so on. We'll have to find that thread- some good ideas in there....

hahah! that is hysterical! i cannot remmeber how much i paid for mine.. idk if the price tag is on mine still (it is.. i just checked: 15 bucks haha... and that was one of my first items i bought haha!!)

wow, was that pavillion really that unpopular!? hahhahaa i feel their pain though, i was on my high schools art and literature magazine (the odyssey), and we always bought more Odysseys than we sold. i was like practically bugging people to buy them haha.

yeah.. i know that was a random story.. haha

Don't feel bad if you paid $15 Jess, we all have our stories about paying something for a souvenir, only to find out later it's really worth a whole lot less. We just chalk it up to lesson-learned, and laugh about it.

After a period of time collecting this stuff, most of us can also cite some time where we got something for a bargain price that turned out to really be sort of rare and worth a lot more than we paid. So in theory the bargains start to outnumber the 'gyps'.

[at least that's how we justify it to the skeptical spouse ]

Truth be told, if you enjoy collecting this stuff for the stories that go with it and the fun of exchanging info and pictures and stuff with fellow enthusiasts, that's where the value really is, not the intrinsic value in the collectibles market. So pay for stuff based on what it's worth to you in terms of enjoyment (if you can put a price tag on that) and you'll be happy with your purchases regardless.

We can make a lot of friends here, and friends are worth more than...well, however that saying goes (you'll find that us old farts have trouble even remember how common sayings end....)

Now Jess, here's a good eBay lot to consider-

four pins, starting bid just $5- the two pins that make it 'worth it' are Morocco and Florida (second year water ski show available in '65 only)- the other two are very common.

Don't go up too much though- CERTAINLY not any more than $10.-

can you message me the link? i currently dont have an e-bay account but id love to see it.. actually i need to put the 64-65 search query back into my favorites, the new laptop has yet to get all of my favorite links back...

OOps- that was dumb of me-

here you go:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7702610692" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7702610692</a>

nope.. it wasnt dumb at all.. i dontknow what time it is in your neck of the woods, but right now its almsot 3am in CT so i'll jsut say its late lol

That's okay Jess, just remember- no matter what time the clock says, it's always "World's Fair time" somewhere in the world!

I would submit that THE most common landfill on ebay is the Sinclair Dinoland booklet, followed by the Mobil tumblers, then the red record.

The first two items had the advantage of nationwide distribution thru gas stations.

MHO.

beautiful photos...just gorgeous. they made me more than happy. they made my week.

yay progressland. they should put a dome and lighting effects on ye olde carouselofsinginginnoventions building at disneyland.