Sign in to follow this  
AMF Monorail

Third Ghost...

Hi Gang,

The last of my test images is now online at:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/AMFMonorail/pages/nt3.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/AMFMonorail/pages/nt3.html</a>

This is a view looking north-northwest across the Meadow Lake Bridge towards the New York State Pavilion.

Sorry about the delay, but the cleanup around the flags and the bridge railings took longer than anticipated.

I plan on revisiting FMCP in the near future to gather my next batch of "Now" photos.

If you see someone puzzled, standing out in the middle of nowhere, holding up an old image, shuffling back, forward and side to side, please stop by and say "Hi!"

Regards,

Randy.

Wow - GREAT Shots!!! There is a similar shot in the 1965 Guide book with a more direct perspective over the Bridge which I have tried (unsuccessfully) to re-create. The shot has so much action in it with people, GAR's the Monorail etc.

I don't know what type of lens the photographer used but I just can't get the Unisphere to bob over the road in the distance. I think it's in the page 40's - but I don't have my guide book handy.

Randy,

Very impactful to see a standing relic as background to the apparition. This image gets me. Hey when are you going to get a website here? All the best,

Rich

Yes, the GAR is at the top right side, just barely visable leaving the Amusement Area.

The amount of activity (people, the tram, the monorail passing) in contrast to the stark white of a new snowfall really provide a dramatic setting.

Mary Ellen, when at FMCP, it was all I could do NOT to include the Unisphere in the shot. Seemed that from almost all angles it kept peeking in at the lower right.

When I finally found a place from where it couldn't be seen, then I knew I was in the right spot.

I know the guidebook shot you mention, but Time/Life/AOL/Warner/Turner own it, and I'll be darned if I pay them thousands to use it.

I do have a private view taken from a similar location, just a little further up the bridge, that is in color. I have been toying with doing another try with the two images but this time "in living color".

But that will have to wait for a while.

Ta,

Randy.

[This message has been edited by AMFMonorail (edited 03-01-2001).]

Hi Ken,

Yes I agree. In most cases 60% seems to be the best compromise.

Believe it or not, all the different views have been nominated, from 35% to 100%. 60% remains the favorite.

I appreciate all the feedback the group has provided. This gives me the necessary motivation to continue the series.

Thanks to ALL the PTU members,

Randy.

Randy,

60% gives the effect. 100% too strong, 35% too weak. 60 is a terrific balance of the new image with just the "right" opacity for the ghosts. You can see through them; yet see them clearly. Nice work