Randy Treadway

Knoxville Walking Tour

Sorry to hear of your loss Randy

Hi all. Arrived in Knoxville a couple of hours ago. Had a ridiculous connection in Chicago (I had to take what I could get as far as a last minute plane reservation), only 20 minutes between arrival and departure and the gates were on opposite ends of the airport. My son and I ran and made it just as they were getting ready to close the jetway door, but naturally our checked bags didn't make it. They'll come later tonight (when we arrived in Knoxville there was already an electronic message waiting, that our bags would be coming later tonight, so they'll bring them to our hotel.)

Moderate temps here- high in 40's and very cloudy. Chicago was 30 at midday and cloudy.

Thanks for all your condolences- it's appreciated.

I did some color corrections on about 30 more slides on the flight between California and Chicago- a couple of good ones to share. Maybe later this evening after dinner. We'll see. Lots of relatives arriving in town that I haven't seen for 30-40 years, so gotta make the rounds to greet all them too. My son headed straight to the hotel's heated indoor pool (he put his swimming trunks in his carry-on luggage), while I'm "testing" the free high bandwidth internet.

Later!

P.S.- on approach into Chicago, flew directly over Jackson Park- site of the 1893 World's Fair.

The lake was iced over (although the ice looked thin). From overhead it looked like nothing remains from the World's Fair, but it's a nice little park. At least it looked little from the air. I recognized the shape of the park from pictures I'd seen.

Off in the distance I could see closed Miegs Field airport (on the island where the 1933-34 World's Fair was held), but the plane didn't go over that way, so it was just a glimpse.

I hope things are going as well as possible for you, Randy. Our thoughts are with you.

John

P.S. There are two structures left from the Columbian Exhibition in Jackson Park. The best known is the Museum of Science and Industry, which is well worth seeing if you have some time in Chicago. The Museum was the Palace of Fine Arts during the Exhibition and serves as an excellent example of how a World's Fair type building can be used to good purpose after the fair closes. The other structure, which is not as well known, is the statue called "The Republic" (knicknamed "The Golden Lady" by locals).

My condolences too, Randy. As to your O'hare experience, I'm afraid it's all too common when making connections there. Hope your return trip works better.

Randy,

Well wishes and condolences from here too.

Mitch

In reference to Jackson Park: One of the most noteworthy reference points is the Midway which runs about one mile from the Park itself. The site of all of the Columbian amusements (especially the Ferris Wheel), it is a prominent landmark which borders on the University of Chicago campus. There is a website for the Hyde Park Historical Society in Chicago. Hyde Park is an affluent conclace of homes not far from Jackson Park. In the early 20th Century, many of Chicago's most prominent families lived there. In any event, their site has a brief discussion of the Ferris Wheel and its history. Also, they indicate that their urban archaeology along the Midway Plaisance has allowed them to locate the actual concrete foundations of the Ferris Wheel.

Hyde Park is also the location of the infamous 1923 Loeb-Leopold murder case. Those two young jerks killed a young neighbor, Bobby Franks, in an effort to commint the so-called "perfect crime" and confound the police. It did not work. But Loeb, Leopold, Franks and others involved all lived in the Hyde Park area. In addition, the two murderers typed a ransom note on a typewriter which they later dumped into a fair lagoon in Jackson Park.

A great book on the World's Columbian Exposition: The Devil In The White City. It is a remarkable account of the Fair and one of the creepiest loons in American history--HH Holmes. What a great read!!

I just got back. Boy that was a lightning quick trip, reservations Thursday night, travel to Knoxville from John Wayne Airport (Orange County) on Friday, and return trip today. Now I'm pooped!

No sunsphere pictures this time- didn't drive by there, and besides there wasn't any snow or anything.

Thank you all for your condolences and well wishes. It is appreciated.

You have my condolences as well Randy. I lost my grandmother about 2 years ago now. In the past 5 years, my family has shrank terribly. Mom, Sister, 2Nieces and one great nephew is all I have left.

Welcome back and glad you had a safe trip.

Seconded... this newbie would love to see those! smile.gif

1982 was a interesting year for exposition. It always amuses me that EPCOT opened the same year, and had a World Showcase that boasted many of the same international pavilions as Knoxville. Not to mention that a headliner attraction in Future World, the Universe of Energy, also was a major theme at the fair.

I wonder how many locals said to skip out on Disney and just see the World's Fair.

...seeing that EPCOT would continue to grow, and the WF was a limited engagement, I would think that would have been the smarter choice.

Randy, can you restore the pictures at the start of this thread?

done!

I'm down in Florida and went to Epcot yesterday.

The model of the Tower of the Four Winds which was in the Contemporary Hotel at an elevator landing 3 years ago when I was last here... is gone. I asked the concierge downstairs if he knew anything about it, but he didn't. I was just passing through (the Contemporary Hotel is a transfer point for bus-to-monorail).

By the way, I spotted two World's Fair look-a-likes in Downtown Disney in Lake Buena Vista. Can anybody guess what they are? One looks like something from the 1933-34 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago, and another looks like something from the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. Gotta run now-- headed to Sea World! Thursday is off to Kennedy Space Center. I'll see if I can get a photo of those 1960's launch vehicle models, to compare to the set that was shown in Space Park in '64-65.

On Thursday morning I'll be visiting Dr. Walter's lab at the Univ. of Central Florida to see how their virtual World's Fair project is coming along.

Hobbies and interests *always* mix with vacations right? B)

Randy, the Tower of the Four Winds model has been added to Disney's Hollywood Studio's "One Man's Dream", the attraction dedicated to Walt. As is a Lincoln AA. LOVE that exhibit.

Randy, the Tower of the Four Winds model has been added to Disney's Hollywood Studio's "One Man's Dream", the attraction dedicated to Walt. As is a Lincoln AA. LOVE that exhibit.

Dang it- DHS was where I was today! I didn't know to look in One Man's Dream- walked right by it though- we left about 6:20 to catch our shuttle bus (in a downpour) back to the hotel.

By the way, I spotted two World's Fair look-a-likes in Downtown Disney in Lake Buena Vista. Can anybody guess what they are? One looks like something from the 1933-34 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago, and another looks like something from the 1939-40 New York World's Fair.

Travel and Transport Building, 1933-34 Chicago World's Fair

4A-H551_36A5_Travel_and_Transport_Building.jpg

Cirque du Soleil, Downtown Disney, Lake Buena Vista, Florida The exterior cables and towers are what reminded me of the 1933 Travel Building.

451852805_07844fdb83_o.jpg

United States Steel Building, 1939-40 New York World's Fair

8A-H948_48W_The_United_States_Steel_Building-1939.jpg

Planet Hollywood, Downtown Disney, Lake Buena Vista, Florida

5414985487_2cfc65a1f6.jpg

Good catch on both buildings Randy. The Planet Hollywood dome is almost a carbon copy of the Steel Pavilion.

Dang it- DHS was where I was today! I didn't know to look in One Man's Dream- walked right by it though- we left about 6:20 to catch our shuttle bus (in a downpour) back to the hotel.

Let me guess, on the way to Toy Story? ;)

Yeah, if you can, make sure to go into OMD... It's a lovely tribute, and has a nice cache of history, from the NYWF and EPCOT.

Sorry the weather is so bad, here, it's pouring all over the state. Ick.