Sinclair Transportation Diorama

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:27 PM

I have been obsessed with one of the modern dioramas at the Sinclair Pavilian since I was 6 years old.

I am looking for any information regarding the diorama that depicted a parkway system

Who made it? What happened to it? What scale was it in? I think it was HO.

Housed in the lower level of the Sinclair pavilian, the Diorama depicted a Robert Moses inspired parkway. Wood fences and lamps, black slate signage etc.

In the center of the display was a small Sinclair Gas Station. About 50 to 100 small vehicles transversed the parkway. I assume on some type of cable system.

I remember the automobiles as being very detailed, Cadillacs, Ford Wagons, Corvairs etc. In the background of the diorama were various Oil refinery towers and Sinclair tank cars on a rail system.

I could not read at the time, but I am sure the diorama was indended to show Sinclair products in a positive way

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I remember being in total aw of the sight of this Diorama

#2 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:29 PM

Welcome PortJeff!

Your timing is good. Just this past week we "discovered" the assistant manager of Sinclair's Dinoland at the World's Fair. His name is Tom Weakley. He joined us here at PTU to share some of his experiences at the World's Fair, and told us what happened to the diorama when the Fair closed (not good news I'm afraid).
The information he shared at that time is in two threads:
http://www.nywf64.co...TML/000079.html
http://www.nywf64.co...TML/000080.html

You might want to contact Tom to ask your specific questions.... (but share any juicy World's Fair revelations with us!)
Tom's e-mail address is:
<!-- e -->mailto:TomW9028@aol.com<!-- e -->
He said he would be glad to entertain questions or chat about the World's Fair with anybody here from PTU.

#3 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

In the background of the diorama were various Oil refinery towers and Sinclair tank cars on a rail system.

PortJeff, we finally have a photo verifying your memory. This photo comes right after an exterior photo of the brontosaurus eggs, and the next photo is over at the NYS Pavilion, so I was already reasonably certain this was at the tail end of the indoor Sinclair diorama. I felt even more certain after listening to the audio tape, and then finding your recollection here.

Here's the photo:

Posted Image

And thanks to Tom Weakley's effort to "rescue" the original pavilion audio narration tape 41 years ago, you can now listen to the section of the narration that goes with this photo (and PortJeff's memory):
This section is called 'Sinclair Serves The World'.
http://randytreadway...s_the_World.wma

I asked Tom today to take a look at this photo and see if he remembered it. He said
Gee - that picture does not look familiar -- it was probably at the end of the Diorama just before the exit - I don't remember it - but that was a few years ago --

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users