Randy Treadway

Löwenbräu World's Fair model beer wagon

Folks, since the seller says this was purchased at the World's Fair, and I knew we had a few pictures of the Löwenbräu souvenir kiosk, I thought I'd go look at those pictures and see if the wagon model was one of the items to be seen on the shelves ready to sell.
No such luck- but possibly one better.
It looks one just like it was mounted on the roof of the kiosk!
The size seems to match the seller's description- 36" in length.
That might mean this was a one-of-a-kind item, and it might have been purchased in one of the sales after the Fair closed.
Comparing the two photos, it looks like one of the two 'lead' horses is now missing, as well as the man sitting on the other lead horse. And the barrels on the tray underneath the wagon may be missing as well. Still, a possibly legacy item from the Löwenbräu Pavilion.

Lowenbrau_souvenir_1.jpg
©Mike Kraus, Picture #T17P46

Lowenbrau_souvenir_2.jpg
©Bill Cotter, Set 28, Picture #55

Lowenbrau_souvenir_3.jpg
©Bill Cotter, Set 28, Picture #56

Lowenbrau_souvenir_4.jpg
©Bill Cotter, Set 28, Picture #56 (closeup)

The seller says it was purchased by an aunt, who has passed away, so details of its purchase are unknown other than it came from the '64-65 World's Fair.

This is not the one from the roof of the kiosk unless the measurement is WAY off.

The one on the roof has to be five or six feet wide.

It's nearly the width of 4 people standing shoulder-to-shoulder.

The one on the roof has 21 barrels - all the same size.

The model has 22 barrels of varying sizes.

You're right! I notice that in the one being sold, there's room behind the driver's seat for another stack of barrels- meaning the barrels are in the same proportion to the driver as the model on the roof. Since there may be 3 regular sized barrels missing, somebody then stuck four smaller barrels (about the size of the ones on that lower shelf on the roof model) up on top of the stack. That increases the count from 21 to 22.

This barrel-counting exercise makes one wonder- when the real full-sized wagon rolled down the street in Flushing Meadow, did anybody ever count the barrels to see if the count was the same as the day before?

And was there really anything inside the barrels, or did they take it easy on the draft horses by having them pull around a wagon of empty barrels as a 'photo op'? Mr. Ed wants to know.

By the way, Mike do you know when your picture was taken?

Bill's two pictures are 1964. I noticed that the globes (spotlights?) mounted on the roof behind the wagon model are painted silver in Bill's pictures, but they're painted blue in your picture. Maybe another way to distinguish '64 photos from '65 photos?

The Alpine painting on the walls of the building in the background is more extensive too.

Almost certainly 1965.....

I'd bet no beer in the barrels, as metal kegs were the norm even then.

A good research project. Kegology!

it's not exactly up my alley, but wow - are you going to make an offer?

To be honest, there's no way to tell if this is the souvenir stand display model, as this set was in production for several years for bars to display. The horses are NOT a match.... but there is a set of the horses that DOES match on eBay right now. *That* set is missing the entire wagon and barrels. There are some others where the color of the clothes on the driver doesn't match the World's Fair set, or one or two horses are missing along with half the barrels. But-- you might be able to get one of those comparitively cheap just to get the extra barrels. (the nice one here seems to missing one barrel)

The trouble is, all of these are too expensive for me, especially since what I would be doing would be building a complete set to replicate what was on display at the World's Fair.

Anybody want a framed Lowenbrau World's Fair art print? I have one like it already. I'm pretty sure these were sold at the Fair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LOWENBRAU-PICTURE-TRADITIONAL-MUNICH-BREWERY-WAGON-FRAMED-ART-SIGNED-/180968711447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a22936517

Here's the horses that match the World's Fair souvenir stand picture. The driver, rider and most of the barrels are missing. This set didn't sell, so the seller might entertain a lower offer than the starting bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowenbrau-Beer-Wagon-With-Three-Horses-/321120844854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac44b3c36&nma=true&si=aXU3%252BToeP1EPx04NKU%252F%252F2CkRXiQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This one was nice. Cheated with a couple of substitute barrels (I think there were maybe 4 small ones down underneath, and they moved two of them up top to substitute for the big barrels). Got 31 bids, and sold for $320.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LowenBrau-Beer-Wagon-With-Horses-Riders-/151014053604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23292396e4&nma=true&si=aXU3%252BToeP1EPx04NKU%252F%252F2CkRXiQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557