Sign in to follow this  
Joe L

Bike ride and NYSP visit today

Took my truck down to FMCP and biked around, the merry go round is running, sounds of Mr.Softy trucks, cotten candy.

Once againg the gate of the NYSP was open and I made a B-line in.

The whole center seems to be sunk below grade, weeds, not even visable

Its appears to really have taken a beating this winter. I didnt see ant Texico stars, it appears somone has removed them.

Note 2: More brick missing from the west gate A bumper sticker reads "System of a Downer" just above the basement elevator.

Note 3: The east elevator appears to have moved UP to the 1st bar below the middle tower. Perhaps it just me, but i remember it being lower but how could that be possible, after 35 years ?

Yellow paint appears to have faded to almost white and is reflecting greenish from the blue sky (on some angles)

The cracks I saw on the east side of the wall last July now extend all the way around nearing the West gate, 2 inch gaps in some spots.

Yes I know, know! Im going to stop here

Now the good news worth talking about:

As I was **politley** kicked out (again, but not by the NAZI) a 2nd person pulled an object out a from a pile of debre, whistled and threw it over the tower fence.

I assumed i'd take care of it, So I took on the deed.

I had this gloomy feeling this worker knew the citys plans for the future of this structure.

The object:

It's white 2X3 feet 1/8 thick, not clear but translucent white fibreglass, retangular panel

Tower panel ?

Its in the truck, I hope to have a pic tonight.

-Joe

Thanks for the site report. I hope your piece of debris turns out to be a piece of the roof. As to the elevator moving, perhaps the counterweight is slipping down and thus pulling the car up?

Bill

They have not even changed the red bulb on the top of the tallest tower. It has been burned out for a few months now.

Thanks for the site report. I hope your piece of debris turns out to be a piece of the roof.

Bill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I just got it out of my truck, it was filthy covered with black grit like you see on Brooklyn roof skylight's, I figured awww fluff

But when I picked it up the sunlight shined through the panel the

"brick pattern" appeared ( watermark ?) I went nuts !

YEAH !!!

Guy next door thinks im crazy, came over and asked if I was ok.... hope I didnt make a fool out myself for nothing

panel2.jpg

After cleanup Sitting on by lawn with a garden hose gun and Mag wheel scrubber I cleaned it and got this

panel5.jpg

Yup... I concur.

Definitely a top or bottom layer of a Kalwall sandwich panel from

a tower roof.

Great report.

How long were you in there?

Yup... I concur.

Definitely a top or bottom layer of a Kalwall sandwich panel from

a tower roof.

Great report.

How long were you in there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow so it is !

I assume that NE wind from the recent storm blew down this panel that been up there for who knows how long.

Inside NYSP about 4 minutes, bike riding 1 hr.

BTW: This panel will remain intact in my hands, unmodified for safe keeping for whatever the future brings.

Gonna use it as a reflector diffuser to grow my tomato plants for now, will share the harvest, NYSP seeds LOL whoever reqquests.

Jeez WHAT A SCORE !

-Joe

-Joe

It is great that you have that artifact but it does not speak well for the condition of the structure and the report is a grim account of a landmark awaiting its demise.

Another storm last night

2 More tower panels between the trees of the NYSP today (west gate), 15 inch square, no doubt cut with a wheel.

The shoddy plywood gate on the East side has a huge hole, you can crawl through. I couldnt leave my bi-cycle so I didnt.

Row of strange quare bumps in the pavement by bridge next to the parkway (Lake Area) Noted a half dozen homeless passed out on the ground

-Joe

Get me a piece and I'll trade some CDs of photos of the Fair for it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have no problem with doing that after all the input and effort you have done to preserve memories. The thought of cutting one really make’s me feel guilt-ridden and is sure to open a can of worms.

This structure has been treated badly enough I suppose I could "Square" one of them up with a wiz wheel.

BTW one is still on the ground behind the tower fence by the West gate. It can be pulled out from under.

These last 2 appears to be the knockouts I think Charlie spoke of to make "The Wiz" They must have landed on the floor the lower towers or columns? Why are they appearing now 30+ years after "The Wiz" was shot?

Charlie do you have any idea, something going on with the structure ?

-Joe

Joe:

When the "Wiz" was made, the production crew needed to refurbish all the blue globe lights on all the structures, including columns, balcony and towers. Most of these globes were in storage at the "Theaterama" building (they were taken down by the park's department after the short concert stint to avoid vandalism). Some of the globes were not original and were purchased by the filming company from the original manufacture.

In order to replace the globes on the upper towers (towers 1 and 2), it was deemed too dangerous to walk on top of the fiberglass panels, so an easy method was devised. Simply by cutting holes in the double Kalwall panels (with a saw), the light fixtures could be reached on the outer rail, and bulbs and blue globes could be replaced.

After the filming, the globes went back in storage. Those in the towers columns were left behind out of convenience and cost.

The panels that you found show a "brick" pattern which was the areas the aluminum reinforcements, or sandwich fillers could be found to keep the panel stable. Bruce Keller of Kalwall (President) told me that Philip Johnson wanted these panels to move since the crown and towers were subjected to high winds, but Keller's dad wanted more of a rigid structure in the suspension roofing to keep the panels intact. That is why later on after the fair the panels were starting to fall off. Just before the Wiz, park's decided the roofing had to be taken down, but the towers stayed intact until the 1990's.

Any other questions?

And yes, Frankie and I still have not given up our hopes in saving the building!

Joe:

The panels that you found show a "brick" pattern which was the areas the aluminum reinforcements, or sandwich fillers could be found to keep the panel stable.  Bruce Keller of Kalwall (President) told me that Philip Johnson wanted these panels to move since the crown and towers were subjected to high winds, but Keller's dad wanted more of a rigid structure in the suspension roofing to keep the panels intact.  That is why later on after the fair the panels were starting to fall off.  Just before the Wiz, park's decided the roofing had to be taken down, but the towers stayed intact until the 1990's.

Any other questions?

And yes, Frankie and I still have not given up our hopes in saving the building!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Charlie, just one.

I am trying to understand.

There is no marking on the brick pattern that shows any contact with any brick pattern reinforcement. The pattern itself is transparent and "inside" the 1/4 inch thick panel like a watermark inside a dollar bill.

I do see some "dots" of splashed clear resin and roofing cement on the panel

Perhaps the pattern was caused by years of sun bleaching and masking by the reinforcement layer only on the upper panels?

Side view show no aluminum inside the panel, (a cracked of part shows just clear fibers) Perhaps Philip Johnson and Bruce Keller came to an agreement and went semi re-enforced?

Just did a test, I removed a piece of what looks like black roofing cement.

No shadow, I assume the sun bleaching theory is out!

I can’t find a good photo of these "in the day"..... Bill

-Joe

I can’t find a good photo of these "in the day"..... Bill

Don't know if it's helpful or not, but here's one from 1964, taken looking down from one of the towers-

http://www.geocities.com/c318137/11_NYS_Tent_Roof.jpg

It's not the best picture in the world, but you can see the brick pattern.

"Tent panels" Whoaa I didnt know NYSP had a dome on the center ring!

Anyway we are discussing "Tower" panels

-J

I went looking for a similar view taken at night, with hopes that lights from below would reveal more of the sandwich structure. The best I could find was this one.

Strange that the tent at night looked so bright from below, but from above all that was lit up was these "fingers"!

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/c318137/23_Vatican_Pavilion_at_night.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/c318137/23_Vatica...on_at_night.jpg</a>

Yes, I'm looking for pictures of the panels on top of the towers too...Kind of an odd angle for a photographer unless you're a mallard heading north for the winter...

I went looking for a similar view taken at night, with hopes that lights from below would reveal more of the sandwich structure.  The best I could find was this one.

Strange that the tent at night looked so bright from below, but from above all that was lit up was these "fingers"!

http://www.geocities.com/c318137/23_Vatica...on_at_night.jpg

Yes, I'm looking for pictures of the panels on top of the towers too...Kind of an odd angle for a photographer unless you're a mallard heading north for the winter...

Didn't work, Randy:

Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Return to Yahoo!

...hmmmmm.....seems to be working now....

maybe their server was down for a short time. Anybody else able to retrieve it?

Joe:

So that you understand further:

The "brick pattern" in cause by aluminum inserts--not bricks which were glued into place. Two fiberglass sheets are sandwiched between the inserts, forming a panel about six inches thick. On the tower panels, both fiberglass sheets are white verses the lower panel on the crown panels being colored (blue, red, orange, etc.).

Now, the reinforcement part that I previously touched base on was concerning the cables that support the roof and not the design of the panel; they (the cables) are flexible and "give" under high winds which caused these panels to move way too much, making them fly off!

Here is my photo back in 1970 showing the basics (look at the 4th picture in color with me on the roof):

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/newyor07.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/newyor07.shtml</a>

Understand now?

On the tower panels, both fiberglass sheets are white verses the lower panel on the crown panels being colored (blue, red, orange, etc.).

This artist sort of missed the boat, didn't he?

bc_1_b.JPG