#3 Yadda Yadda

Yadda Yadda

Blueprint Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

Very cool! Thanks Randy!

By-the-way, for any die-hard fans of the '92 Fair, there is an excellent out-of-print book entitled: "Expo '92 Seville: Architecture and Design" by Francesco Dal Co (ISBN: 1558595805) that I would highly recommend. It contains hundreds of photos, maps, floorplans, etc.

I saw that Amazon has used copies starting at $150 (ouch!), but you may be able to find a copy to check-out at some of your larger city libraries.

Best Regards,
Kevin

#4 GoldSeals1

GoldSeals1

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

Nice
Thanks for posting these
Regards,Dave

#5 Gary Rose

Gary Rose

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:19 AM

Nice
Thanks for posting these
Regards,Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the memories of of my wonderful visit to the Expo in Seville - it was indeed a gorgeous fair in a gorgeous city. I loved those aerial postcards - has anyone ever seen them on e-bay?

What I noticed, however, a lot in Seville was many of the budgets seemed to be cenetered in the structure rather than contents. The best combination there was Great Britain's Cathedral of Water.

#6 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

Those photographs are breathtaking. That is what a world's fair should look like and I had no clear idea that is what Expo 92 was like. It had a beautiful setting and seems to have been centered on water. Also, the architecture was dramatic. I'll bet it created lifelong memories for those who attended. Thank you for posting. I have never seen postcards from that fair before.

Does any of this remain or was most (or much of it) demolished? Was there any idea for post-fair use of these structures or the site?

#7 winkd2

winkd2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

The site of Expo 92 is now an industrial/business park. Below is a link for the current site:

<a href="http://www.cartuja93.es/index.en.jsp" target="_blank">http://www.cartuja93...ndex.en.jsp</a>

The site is still pretty amazing to walk around. Many of the buildings look the same as they did back in 1992...on the outside. Some have been maintained while others are falling apart. I spent a day walking around the park and had a great time.

Below is a link that has some amazing pictures from the fair (also some from 98 and 2000)

<a href="http://www.solo-photography.com/expovision.htm" target="_blank">http://www.solo-phot...ovision.htm</a>

#8 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:57 AM

Hi winkid, Thank you for those links. It was an incredibly beautiful fair. Do you know of any more complete images of the American pavilion at Seville?

#9 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

I might have a postcard of the U.S. Pavilion at Seville, showing its geodesic dome roof- I'll check when I get back home (I'm in the mountains of western North Carolina right now for a vacation).

The good thing about the '64-65 NYWF (or any World's Fair for that matter) is you can take it with you just about anywhere in the world. (unfortunately the Seville postcards which aren't scanned yet are at my house in California!)

For instance, last week I was flying back to California from a business trip in Wichita, Kansas, and I had a plane change connection in Dallas. On the trip from Dallas to Long Beach I was editing some NYWF .jpg photos (trying to make another banner for Marc- the subject a surprise!), when the guy sitting next to me commented 'oh, are you interested in Disney?'
It turns out, for the last 13 years he has been employed in Anaheim at Disneyland, and he works the 2nd shift carrying around a beeper, and any time it beeps with a 'Code 103' or whatever he comes running (he explained to me what all the codes mean- basically 10-anything means the ride has come to a complete stop because of something or other).
He's assigned to work the end of the park including Small World, and knows every in and out of all those rides- how they work, etc., because he has to get them back up and running as quickly (and safely) as possible.
So we spent the entire rest of the flight looking at '64 and '65 pictures of Small World in New York- he was amazed at how little has changed in 40 years- down to the tiniest details. He spotted 3 dolls that he said aren't there any more; the French Can-Can dancers' costumes are no longer as fancy (he said Small World still employs a full-time seamstress to keep the doll costumes in constant repair- sound familiar Hoodlock?); the boats are still the same but plastic seat backs have replaced the upholstery at the World's Fair.
We stopped at a great Bill Cotter picture of the Taj Mahal in Small World, and he explained to me in detail how he has to climb on a ladder to the top of each minaret to change the light bulbs inside when one burns out- the top of the minaret is hinged so it will open up. He knows by heart everything right down to the bulb socket's model number.
He said over the last 10 or so years while he's been there every doll has had its insides completely replaced- the mechanical movements are now controlled completely by digital signal.
He explained all the changes that are made for the Christmas special show each year (he pointed to the doll scenes in my NYWF photos which get completely draped over with opaque curtains for Christmas) and how the music is replaced with a special Christmas version. He said every year the changeover is earlier- this year it happened in October.
I asked him if they 'turn the lights up' when the park is closed, to do maintenance, where every nook and cranny would get lit up (things you normally couldn't see clearly from the boat). I don't think he quite understood my question- he said they never turn the lights off in small world when the park is closed, because they found years ago that turning them on and off was more wear than just leaving them on. He said all they turn off is the dolls, the music, and the water/boat ride.
I asked him if they find a lot of lost stuff like purses or whatever, next to the water trough. He said not too much- anybody who loses something like a purse usually reports it right away and it gets found pretty quickly. He said there are sometimes paper wads or stuff next to the dolls, but people that lose stuff out of the boats usually drop their item in the water, and in no time at all it floats right around to the entry/exit area, where staff spots it and picks it up out of the water.
As I showed him more World's Fair photos, we came to Mr. Lincoln. He said that Mr. Lincoln can now do all kinds of movements that you don't see in the show, and somebody there in their spare time programmed him to dance a jig to the tune of Irish music. He said they're not allowed to 'play him' doing that for the public, but they sometimes run that program after hours for their own kicks.
When I showed him photos of Mr. Lincoln at the World's Fair, he told me all about how the projectors work that do the backdrop behind Lincoln when he stands up to give his speech.
It was an enjoyable plane ride- for the both of us! He had never seen any pictures from the World's Fair and knew practically nothing about it- he was amazed at how Small World was exactly (almost) like it is today, right there in New York. He also commented that he was on his way back to California from a vacation in Egypt, and he'd spent the night in New York (and saw a show) before continuing home- and just a couple of hours earlier his taxi had driven right by these tall towers that he saw on my computer- he asked me what they were and I explained to him that that's the World's Fair location where Small World started out! (and I told him more about the New York State Pavilion towers including some vintage '64 photos, of course).
Coming to or from California you never know who you're going to be sitting next to. And I suppose on the east coast, every other person over the age of 45 will have vivid memories of going to the World's Fair when they were a kid.
Makes for some lively chats on plane rides which are otherwise boring.

#10 Yadda Yadda

Yadda Yadda

Blueprint Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

Hi winkid, Thank you for those links.  It was an incredibly beautiful fair.  Do you know of any more complete images of the American pavilion at Seville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jim,

Just to clarify...

Are you looking for photos of the USA Pavilion, or of the Plaza of the Americas Building?

Best Regards,
Kevin

#11 winkd2

winkd2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

[attachment=1990:attachment][attachment=1991:attachment][attachment=1992:attachm
ent][attachment=1993:attachment]

Here are a few pictures of the US pavilion at Expo'92 Seville that I found on line.

#12 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Very Nice!

#13 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:11 AM

The entry into the US pavilion is very interesting. That is an impressive image of Sitting Bull. I would love to know more about the exhibits within.

#14 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

Very cool! Thanks Randy!

By-the-way, for any die-hard fans of the '92 Fair, there is an excellent out-of-print book entitled: "Expo '92 Seville: Architecture and Design" by Francesco Dal Co (ISBN: 1558595805) that I would highly recommend. It contains hundreds of photos, maps, floorplans, etc.

I saw that Amazon has used copies starting at $150 (ouch!), but you may be able to find a copy to check-out at some of your larger city libraries.

Best Regards,
Kevin

Used copies on Abebooks are showing up as low as $78-
http://www.abebooks....u...p;x=42&y=14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users