Chmnofbrd

Hollywood Pavilion

You rarely see pictures of the inside of the Hollywood Pavilion, but there is one in this story.

http://www.mainchance.org/upward/read/july_august2004/toby.html

In the Hollywood USA Guide Book it doesn't say anything about a Marilyn Monroe display, but it does show a section called "#16, Museum (memorablia of early days of Hollywood)".

Is that where the Marilyn Monroe display was located? One would think that in 1964 the Marilyn Monroe era was too recent to be referred to as part of 'the early days of Hollywood'.

It certainly wouldn't have been in any "early days" section. Could it be that they had a Marilyn section for only one year of the Fair only?

That was a great feature to find. Seeing how the Fair had things like that to display only makes me appreciate more and more the richness of what the Fair had to offer for visitors.

I went back to the Hollywood USA Guide Book to see if there were any other clues, and found this reference describing the museum in the "Welcome" frontispiece by actor George Murphy.

Hollywood_welcome.jpg

It sounds like it included a lot more stuff than just from the 'early days', regardless of that parenthetical description being attached to the Museum on the pavilion 'map' elsewhere in this Guide Book. For instance The Greatest Show on Earth was barely 10 years old when the World's Fair rolled around, wasn't it?

The reference to displays of costumes seems a good fit for this Marilyn Monroe Itch dress.

Yeah, that sounds like a more accurate description of what they had than just "early days."

One of the photos in Bill's CDs has part of the DeMille display, an artists rendering of one of the scenes from "Ten Commandments".

Maybe we're talking about a different picture, but Bill has at least two pictures of Scene #12 at Walter's Wax Museum over in the Lake Amusement Area- which had a wax replica of Moses raising the Ten Commandments tablets up over his head, ready to smash them. There is also a Wolfe slide showing this same scene.

Ah....now I see- it was labeled Hollywood-Cleopatra so I had it misfiled. It's actually God turning back Pharoah's chariots with a pillar of fire- one of the scenes from the Ten Commandments movie.

Now that I see it- it also looks like Set 18 #2, which is also labeled Cleopatra, needs to be corrected as well- it's likely the DeMille scale ship referred to in the George Murphy description above.

002_-_Hollywood_-_Cecil_B._DeMille_scale_ship.jpg

Set 18 #6 and #7 properly refer to the Cleopatra set, which may have been entirely outdoors.

And where is the Itch dress today?

Apparently actress Debbie Reynolds purchased it in 1972, it was stolen in 2000 but she sued and got it back, and she now displays it (or is getting ready to display it) in her new Hollywood memorablia museum in Tennessee-

http://www.debbiereynoldsonline.com/museum.htm

You can order your own here:

http://www.costume-shop.com/Detail.bok?id=7

Perfect for a SiP outing...

Sorry Doug, they don't have your size!

If that "perfect scale ship" is part of the DeMille exhibit then it's likely one used for his 1934 version of "Cleopatra" which starred Claudette Colbert. I need to dig my copy out sometime to see if it matches the one in that picture.

as for the "60-foot model train from The Greatest Show on Earth", I found that the Ringling Circus Museum in Sarasota, Florida has an ongoing exhibit on the movie, which includes "model trains created by Paramount Studios for the thrilling wreck scene".

http://www.ringling.org/pages/news.html#ongoing

Might one of those model trains be the one which was shown at the Hollywood USA Pavilion at the World's Fair?

Chairman is it you who's going down to Florida this week? If you make it over to Sarasota take a tape measure and see if their Paramount model train is 60 feet long.

Randy

Too late I got back Monday but I am planning another weekend trip next month, so it's a possibility.

Interesting article but the reference to "The World of Tomorrow" doesn't fit his other memories of the 1964 fair and its pavilions.

I remember that the US pavilion at Expo 67 had some memorabilia from Marilyn Monroe including a bed (supposedly with the original sheets) that she used in a movie. In fact, there was a great deal of Hollywood memorabilia in that pavilion. However, I don't recall seeing that dress at Expo.

Best photo of that set I've seen yet. "Action !!"

By the way, judging by the props that they've brought out to the pavilion's entrance area, it looks like they were doing a mini-performance to attract people inside to see the Cleopatra show. I think the performer is made up to look something like Elizabeth Taylor.

Does anyone know who this is outside the Hollywood USA Pavilion?

nywf-hollywood-1.jpg

P.S.- I fixed several broken picture links at the start of this topic.