38 replies to this topic

#31 trylon500

trylon500

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:28 PM

And here is the tilted poles as see from the upper platform.

#32 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

How did you get out onto the track area to get the long shot back toward the "angled poles" office... or is that track area now a parking area?

Did you get a "now" shot from up above where the shots earlier in this thread were taken?

Can you walk from Meridian Rd. right past the "angled poles" office all the way into the plaza where the mosaics of Moses, etc. are?

#33 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Good job Trylon!

Your upper right photo looks like a good approximation of the Metro North 1972 shot.
Of interest is the biggest tree in the picture looks like it's the same tree that was behind the Metro North train, and the fence looks like it's in the same place. And your 'partly ripped up' station platform looks just like it did in Bill's 1980's photo. Apparently it was hiding right behind the Metro North train in the 1972 picture. So it would appear that not much has changed to the trackage over the years. If that was a 'maintenance pit' between the rails, is it filled in now? I couldn't tell enough from your photo to tell if the rails are still attached to concrete walls rather than wooden ties.
As far as the other side of the fence, it sure looks a lot nicer, doesn't it? All cleaned up, and even parking slots. They got rid of the weeds.
Two things I don't care for though- it looks like they painted over all the windows with brown paint! That's probably to cut down on the air conditioning bill, but it turned what was probably once an attractive edifice into something that looks like an old warehouse. And the fairly attractive brick wall surface has been whitewashed! That would probably be difficult at this point to ever restore.
BUT...I'm glad space has been provided for so many community agencies. That's a good adaptive reuse. Too bad more buildings couldn't have been saved for such uses.

#34 trylon500

trylon500

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:13 AM

Attached is an extended shot of the “storefront” side of the plaza area.

When I took the first shot in the previous post I was actually standing on an operating LIRR platform. One of three elevated passenger platforms.The one I was standing on is the furthest one north. The other two tracks look like working maintenance tracks.

The attached photo you see here, was taken at ground level near the roadway that passes under the plaza.

When you reach the "storefront" area of the building you can walk the length to the curved plaza area entrance.

Yes, It looks like the windows are shut up tight and painted over. There are also heavy duty security gates on all doorways. I would imagine it has to be locked up tight at night and during the off season. That doesn't explain the lousy whitewash job on the entire length of the brick. Luckily the white paint stops at the exterior plaza stairs.

I agree Randy, it is good that these buildings are being put into service. I would have liked to have seen the Press Building/Police Station before the tore it down a few years ago.

#35 trylon500

trylon500

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

Here is the attachement to previous post.

#36 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

In Search of Legacies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

I walked by the Station yesterday. It was opening day at Shea. Boy the saw tooth roof is desperately in need of paint!

#37 RMWFP

RMWFP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

I know that this is an old post, however, the Budd Car Company built the M1 cars for the LIRR & MNR. They also built the M2 cars for MNR, which you see in the 1972 photo. Much of the warranty work and modifications by Budd were done on the cars there at the much unused World's Fair Station. The Inspection and repair track contains that pit you see in one of the photos, and a 'shed' was built under the walkway that connects the Fair to Shea. That's why there would be a Metro North train (then New Haven, with cars purchased by Conn. Dept of Trans)

#38 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,726 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:42 PM

I restored the photo to the original post in this thread.

#39 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Did we ever figure out what the 'angled flagpoles' were originally used for? It looks like it was a trackside entrance of some kind. Maybe for dignitaries arriving on U.N. trains? Or was everything from that era torn down to build for the '64-65 Fair?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users