Near LIRR Entrance 1972

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

1972 photo if Metro North car near WF entrance.

<a href="http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?7972" target="_blank">Photo</a>

img_7972.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Excellent Thanks for posting.

7 years later after the fair closes.And what is left of a now sleeping Worlds Fair from a long time ago

Regards,Dave

Posted · Report post

Trying to figure out what a M-N train is doing there. Isn't that LIRR trackage? No third rail or catenary though.....

Posted · Report post

I actually have a picture of that same section of track from 1987:

nywf-lirr-1987.jpg

Besides being a real mess, it's unusual as the track in question consists of rail on concrete beams, and an open space between them, no ties. Comments, railfans?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

In the 1970's I had gotten into developing film and enlarging photos. I have to get them out I have 2 boxes of them. A lot of them are not that good but some have views of the park that have changed a lot. I also have dozens of pictures of the US Pavilion before, during and after demolition. I'm not 100% sure but I think I also have pictures of the contractors tearing the roof off NYS. That was a sad day

Posted · Report post

If you find them and would like them scanned/restored just let me know.

Bill

Posted · Report post

This may be a LIRR freight-only line. Intended for diesel hauled trains.

Still can't figure out what that M-N train is doing there. If a diesel loco hauled it there, why?

I think what Bill is looking at, right side of his picture (?), is the remains of an old platform.

Posted · Report post

You can match my picyure to the 1972 one through the piece of wood? braced by two legs. There was a platform, the odd track, and another platform.

Posted · Report post

It looks like the train has been "parked" there and railroad employees are working on it.

There may have been a problem with it, and it was backed onto this 'siding' to make repairs.

Those air conditioners that are mounted to the wall behind the train-

are those windows some kind of offices or maintenance shops, or is that one of the restrooms that was entered from Gotham Plaza?

1972-entrance.jpg

Why the angled flagpoles? Was this a lower level 'entrance' to something at one time?

Posted · Report post

You can match my picyure to the 1972 one through the piece of wood? braced by two legs. There was a platform, the odd track, and another platform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the samething.However after looking at that pedestal Im not sure if its the same one.In the former picture looks like a temporary wooden electrical service that provided power for the workers tools.In the last picture there is a piece of 2 x 4 mounted on top.

Dave

Posted · Report post

There's actually two of whatever they are - look further down the same platform and you'll see the second one.

Posted · Report post

That supports the idea that this siding was for maintenance.

In Bill's picture it looks like the reason the rails are built on concrete without most of the ties, is that maybe it's a maintenance 'pit' in between the rails, so that workers could get down in there to get at the underside of the rolling stock.

It's interesting that in the 1972 picture I don't see that yellow "safety line" painted on the asphalt next to the rail.

Posted · Report post

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to the PTU community. I joined a few weeks ago and this is my first post.

I’m a graphic designer and live in New York City.

I lived on Long Island and visited the fair in 64 and 65 when I was six and seven. As a child, the fair had a big impact on me. But years after that, I never really thought much about the Fair. Eventually I moved to New York City. I would take the 7 train and tour the old fair grounds from time to time. Gotta love that Unisphere!

But last year it hit me. I don’t know why but I just can’t get enough of the 1964/65 World’s Fair!

It started with the souvenir map. I had had it since 1965. The map has always appealed to me (by the way, it is a beautiful designed map ). I just needed to get all the information I can on the 1964/65 Worlds’s fair. I decided to take the map to the fairgrounds and match it up with the current state of the park. I’ve also been taking lots of photos of the current fair grounds. I can’t tell you how glad I was to find the the nywf64 and the PTU sights.

Anyway, I have a photo to post related to the LIRR entrance. It;s a stairway leading up the the main entrance platform. I took the photo a few months ago and it’s still painted NYWF/NYC orange and blue! It can’t be the original paint, it looks to new. But someone had the foresight (or hindsight) to paint it the World Fair colors.

I’ve lived in NYC for twenty years and I can tell you it’s very unusual to see those classic NYC colors around today.

All the PTU people seem very nice and I’m glad to be aboard!

It’s the next best thing to actually being at the fair.

Posted · Report post

Welcome trylon- great to hear from you!

Aren't those colors of blue and orange the Mets' colors? Maybe they continue to paint the railings those colors to greet fans arriving for Mets games.

Posted · Report post

Welcome aboard - glad you found us!

Posted · Report post

Hi Trylon

Good to meet you !!

Rob

Posted · Report post

Welcome Trylon!

I just lightened up Bill's photo and it sure does look like an open pit beneath that siding to the right of the yellow line!

Good eye!

Posted · Report post

12/7/2003

It looks like that "maintenance" siding on the far right is still there.

Apparently they don't shovel the platforms when there are no special events like Mets games or tennis tournaments.

shea1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There's actually two of whatever they are - look further down the same platform and you'll see the second one.

<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Bill your absolutely correct.Thanks for pointing this out:)

Regards,Dave

It started with the souvenir map. I had had it since 1965. The map  has always appealed to me (by the way, it is a beautiful designed map ). I just needed to get all the information I can on the 1964/65 Worlds’s fair. I decided to take the map to the fairgrounds and match it up with the current state of the park. I’ve also been taking lots of photos of the current fair grounds. I can’t tell you how glad I was to find the the nywf64  and the PTU sights.

Welcome Aboard trylon.Glad to have you here

I see another one has made the pilgrimage to FMCP with their souvenir program in hand.My journey was in 86 and 87 and of course I brought my program back to the fair.I too feel like that guy in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Regards,Dave

Posted · Report post

That maintenance siding may go way back.

After WWII, the LIRR used this station to service U.N. headquarters which was in the NYC building. The station was called United Nations station at that time, and was in use from '46 to about '52.

Some time during this period, this photo was taken. Notice what looks like the same (or similar) maintenance siding rails on the far right.

Of course the platforms were totally rebuilt in preparation for the '64-65 World's Fair, and the station was reopened July 10, 1963

Late 40's/early 50's photo:

unsta.jpg

Re-opening newspaper article:

qqwf64-2.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Apparently they don't shovel the platforms when there are no special events like Mets games or tennis tournaments.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's correct. LIRR doesn't stop there regularly, only for the events you mentioned.

I agree with the maintenance siding thing. What's bugging me is what this "foreign" train is doing there?

Sunnyside yard stores & maintains Amtrak equipment, plus stores NJT trains for the outbound rush. Woodside yard is for LIRR equipment. Corona yard is for IRT trains. Metro North never sets foot on Long Island, AFAIK.

Posted · Report post

Interesting.

Why would they run trains from Penn Station to the Fair every 15 minutes on weekdays but only every 30 minutes on weekends? I would have guessed it the other way around.

Mike, what's an M-N train?

It says "Connecticut Department of Transportation" on it.

Very curious

Posted · Report post

Hi Trylon. Welcome! And thank you for sharing that photograph. I use the name trylon for my e-mail address.

From the very first post in this thread: I used to live in southern Connecticut and know something of the NYC metro area and I, too, was surprised that a Metro-North train would be in this area. Am I correct that Metro-North serves the area from Grand Central northward into Westchester County?

Posted · Report post

Exactly. Metro North is the entity that took over the New York Central and New Haven commuter lines out of Grand Central Terminal. I don't think it was called Metro North during the Fair days, as the railroads didn't shed their commuter operations till the late 60's or so.

M-N electric trains (and NJT electrics also) use overhead wire to pick up power, as does this Connecticut DOT train. LIRR uses third rail. This CDOT train was obviously pushed to Willets by a diesel loco, but why? I'd pay a doller to know!

Posted · Report post

Hello,

This is trylon5 with my second post.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

This is certainly a sharp group of people. I have a lot to learn about the 1964/65 World’s Fair.

But that’s what makes it interesting!