• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 FRMW

FRMW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

1972 photo if Metro North car near WF entrance.

<a href="http://www.nycsubway...perl/show?7972" target="_blank">Photo</a>

Posted Image
  • nl1899fan likes this

#2 GoldSeals1

GoldSeals1

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Excellent Thanks for posting.
7 years later after the fair closes.And what is left of a now sleeping Worlds Fair from a long time ago
Regards,Dave

#3 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:25 AM

Trying to figure out what a M-N train is doing there. Isn't that LIRR trackage? No third rail or catenary though.....

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:42 AM

I actually have a picture of that same section of track from 1987:

Posted Image

Besides being a real mess, it's unusual as the track in question consists of rail on concrete beams, and an open space between them, no ties. Comments, railfans?
  • nl1899fan likes this

#5 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

In the 1970's I had gotten into developing film and enlarging photos. I have to get them out I have 2 boxes of them. A lot of them are not that good but some have views of the park that have changed a lot. I also have dozens of pictures of the US Pavilion before, during and after demolition. I'm not 100% sure but I think I also have pictures of the contractors tearing the roof off NYS. That was a sad day

#6 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:53 AM

If you find them and would like them scanned/restored just let me know.

Bill

#7 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

This may be a LIRR freight-only line. Intended for diesel hauled trains.
Still can't figure out what that M-N train is doing there. If a diesel loco hauled it there, why?

I think what Bill is looking at, right side of his picture (?), is the remains of an old platform.

#8 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

You can match my picyure to the 1972 one through the piece of wood? braced by two legs. There was a platform, the odd track, and another platform.

#9 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:40 PM

It looks like the train has been "parked" there and railroad employees are working on it.
There may have been a problem with it, and it was backed onto this 'siding' to make repairs.

Those air conditioners that are mounted to the wall behind the train-
are those windows some kind of offices or maintenance shops, or is that one of the restrooms that was entered from Gotham Plaza?

Posted Image

Why the angled flagpoles? Was this a lower level 'entrance' to something at one time?

#10 GoldSeals1

GoldSeals1

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

You can match my picyure to the 1972 one through the piece of wood? braced by two legs. There was a platform, the odd track, and another platform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the samething.However after looking at that pedestal Im not sure if its the same one.In the former picture looks like a temporary wooden electrical service that provided power for the workers tools.In the last picture there is a piece of 2 x 4 mounted on top.

Dave

#11 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

There's actually two of whatever they are - look further down the same platform and you'll see the second one.

#12 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

That supports the idea that this siding was for maintenance.

In Bill's picture it looks like the reason the rails are built on concrete without most of the ties, is that maybe it's a maintenance 'pit' in between the rails, so that workers could get down in there to get at the underside of the rolling stock.

It's interesting that in the 1972 picture I don't see that yellow "safety line" painted on the asphalt next to the rail.

#13 trylon500

trylon500

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to the PTU community. I joined a few weeks ago and this is my first post.
Iím a graphic designer and live in New York City.

I lived on Long Island and visited the fair in 64 and 65 when I was six and seven. As a child, the fair had a big impact on me. But years after that, I never really thought much about the Fair. Eventually I moved to New York City. I would take the 7 train and tour the old fair grounds from time to time. Gotta love that Unisphere!

But last year it hit me. I donít know why but I just canít get enough of the 1964/65 Worldís Fair!
It started with the souvenir map. I had had it since 1965. The map has always appealed to me (by the way, it is a beautiful designed map ). I just needed to get all the information I can on the 1964/65 Worldsís fair. I decided to take the map to the fairgrounds and match it up with the current state of the park. Iíve also been taking lots of photos of the current fair grounds. I canít tell you how glad I was to find the the nywf64 and the PTU sights.

Anyway, I have a photo to post related to the LIRR entrance. It;s a stairway leading up the the main entrance platform. I took the photo a few months ago and itís still painted NYWF/NYC orange and blue! It canít be the original paint, it looks to new. But someone had the foresight (or hindsight) to paint it the World Fair colors.

Iíve lived in NYC for twenty years and I can tell you itís very unusual to see those classic NYC colors around today.

All the PTU people seem very nice and Iím glad to be aboard!

Itís the next best thing to actually being at the fair.

#14 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,349 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

Welcome trylon- great to hear from you!

Aren't those colors of blue and orange the Mets' colors? Maybe they continue to paint the railings those colors to greet fans arriving for Mets games.

#15 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:40 PM

Welcome aboard - glad you found us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users