Randy Treadway

TiSL a smashing success!

Here's a current story about some plans to renovate the hotel:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/0/E96F2E54C714E3108625704E00320F48?OpenDocument

Hey, Randy - next time you're back that way see if they are going to dispose of anything interesting, like those windows they blocked off. They would look great in your house!

I've been to St. Louis twice in the last two weeks (just got back yesterday), but didn't get downtown either time.

By the way, on my trip back there in April I DID get downtown, ate dinner at the Marriott, and took more photos, including some more "then-and-now" comparisons including what was then the Grenada Restaurant (quite similar configuration now) and a shot inside the Kinko's just for comparison.

Next time I'm back there I'll try to get downtown and ask about their plans.

The baseball stadium right across the street is supposed to get imploded in October (right after the World Series), and they're already setting up auctions to sell everything from the seats to the lawn mowers, and even the scoreboards.

Maybe if we let the prospective buyer know what an art treasure they've got in that stained glass window (show them our color photos from New York), they could open up the back side (where Kinko's is) and restore it (clean the glass, etc.)

I got some closeup daytime photos in April that I was able to compare to the original and confirm that the colors are the same- blue glass is where blue glass is supposed to be, for instance- so it all looks original.

He sounds like an interesting character. BTW, it looks like the area where the Spanish Pavilion was re-erected was a parking lot or perhaps empty space at the time of the picture, which would have been been February, 1963 and October, 1965.

Thanks Bill.

Here's a new article about the sinking of the Santa Maria, and a mention of the Spain Pavilion:

http://www.stltoday....03?OpenDocument

I had just sold some slides of St. Louis in 1969 and one of them was of the Becky Thatcher, also mentioned in the story. The boat looks pretty ratty to me, and I sure know I wouldn't have ben on it in a storm.

becky-thatcher.jpg

Interesting story Bill- thanks for sharing it!

To go with it, I restored all the earlier photos in this topic.

I was in St. Louis this week, but didn't make it downtown.

Great photos, thank you so much for sharing them.  

At age 7 I played a concert in the Spanish Pavilion at the 1964 World's Fair with my guitar professor Senor Jose Franco (who was trained by Andres Segovia in Spain for years) and other students older than me, some adults.   I need to find the B&W glossy and scan it.  We were on a large stage with a full theater of spectators. 

Being 7 1/2 I was a nervous wreck that I would break a string playing Malaguena or Spanish Romance.  Fortunately, I didn't but was prepared with two sets of string if I needed to restring a broken one or two nylon.

The theater appeared huge but I was a young child, playing guitar for 18 months but ahead of the boys in their teens according to my guitar teacher from the then "Long Island Institute of Music" in Queens.

I am trying to figure out where the theater was in the building, that pat I can't recall.  Any ideas where it was located?

Thank you again,

MKS