Sign in to follow this  
jmcsweeny

Legacy in Saint Louis?

Somewhere I read that one of the NYWF 64 pavillions was moved to Saint Louis and became part of hotel. Can anyone provide some details, please? I will be traveling to St. Louis in early February and would like to locate it.

Thanks.

John

Back on April 26th 2003, Randy Treadway posted information about the Spanish Pavilion that is now a part of a hotel in St. Louis. The Marriot I think.

Somewhere I read that one of the NYWF 64 pavillions was moved to Saint Louis and became part of hotel.  Can anyone provide some details, please? I will be traveling to St. Louis in early February and would like to locate it.

Thanks.

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you thinking maybe of the Parker Pen Pavilion? According to http://www.nywf64.com/legacies02.shtml it got turned into the offices for the Lodge of the Four Seasons at Lake of the Ozarks. Not quite St. Looie, but close.

Thanks for those leads, folks. The Downtown Marriott is about a block from the convention hotel I am staying in (Adam's Mark) so it will be no problem for me to walk over and take a look at it.

Thanks for those leads, folks.  The Downtown Marriott is about a block from the convention hotel I am staying in (Adam's Mark) so it will be no problem for me to walk over and take a look at it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi John,

If you can, please dont forget your camera

Regards,Dave

Hey John, WHEN in early February?

I just found out I've got to jump on a plane Monday morning and high tail it to St. Louis for some business, and I'll be there through Thursday.

If the timing overlaps, maybe we can link up and go snoop around the Marriott to see if there's any discernable World's Fair traces.

Hey John, WHEN in early February?

I just found out I've got to jump on a plane Monday morning and high tail it to St. Louis for some business, and I'll be there through Thursday.

If the timing overlaps, maybe we can link up and go snoop around the Marriott to see if there's any discernable World's Fair traces.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Randy,

I will be arriving in St. Louis Tuesday evening and departing Thursday afternoon. My time in St. Louis will be tight but perhaps we could meet for a nightcap on Tuesday and compare schedules. I would like to work somthing out if we can.

I will send you my mobile number using the message feature of the forum.

Thanks for letting me know!

The Spain Pavilion is basically now the ground floor of the downtown Mariott Hotel.  It's right across the street from Busch Stadium.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actaully, now that I think of it, I stayed at the Marriott in 1980. I didn't know of the Fair connection then, however.

I had an enjoyable evening on the first of February visiting the Spanish Pavilion, which is now the first two floors of the downtown Marriott in Saint Louis, with Randy Treadway, who also happened to be in town for a meeting. (Thanks for the ride from the airport Randy!)

I went back to the Pavilion and took some exterior pictures during the day. I am attaching the pictures below. I am not sure what order they will come up in but they include: 1) the exterior of the Marriott, 2) a closeup of the East wall (it appears to include some glass but the interior wall of what now is a Kinkos is solid), 3) a grill around the parking lot, 4) a plaque commemorating the Pavilion, 5) the front desk area, 6) three pictures of the lobby, 7) a closeup of the fountain, the entrance to the "Pavilion" restaurant, 9) a door to a meeting room, 10) a bench seat, and 11) a statue of Queen Isabella. Although the signs for Kinkos and Starbucks are a little distracting, I think that the Marriott has done an excellent job of keeping much of the physical structure and the spirit of the Pavilion intact.

I noticed that the plaque on the east side of the Pavilion states that it opened as a Pavilion to the public in Saint Louis in 1967 and that the Marriott acquired it and began building their hotel in 1973, with the opening of the hotel taking place in 1979. It would be interesting to know what happened in the 1967-73 interval, i.e., what led to the acquisition of the Pavilion. Did it fail to produce enough interest to be sustained as something independent of a hotel? If so, we should be pleased that the Marriott has preserved it as well as they did. My guess is that they had to agree to preserve it to some extent in order to acquire the land but keeping it good shape for the 26 years since the hotel opened is a pretty good record, in my opinion.

You might wish to look at the picture of the Spain Pavilion on Bill Young's website for purposes of comparison before delving into the pictures below - <a href="http://www.nywf64.com/spain01.shtml" target="_blank">Spanish Pavilion at the Fair</a>

post-3769-1211338505_thumb.jpg post-3769-1211338654_thumb.jpg

post-3829-1211430313_thumb.jpg

post-3769-1211518354_thumb.jpg post-3769-1211519385_thumb.jpg post-387-1211581753_thumb.jpg

post-387-1211581797_thumb.jpg post-387-1211581816_thumb.jpg

post-387-1211581841_thumb.jpg post-1280-1211586321_thumb.jpg

My information is that the City of St. Louis acquired it and had it shipped and re-assembled at its current downtown location with the intent of it being a Convention Center for the city.

But in that role apparently it was a total flop, not attracting nearly enough in convention business to make it appear anything other than a white elephant to a City Council which was growing increasingly impatient with Mayor Cervantes' "Spanish kick" (the Santa Maria being the other money-loser).

By 1973 they had brought in Marriott to erect the first of the two towers and convert it into a hotel.

I also have seen some information that says during its time as a convention center ('67-73), it had two restaurants open, using the same names as the Spain Pavilion used at the World's Fair- the Toledo Restaurant and the Granada Restaurant. (At the NYWF there was also a 3rd smaller restaurant that was more like a patio cafe).

But in St. Louis the Toledo and the Granada restaurants were said to be flops just like the Convention Center. The source I read said that apparently St. Louis stomachs just didn't cotton to upper crust Spanish cuisine, preferring barbecue, ribs, steak and Italian food.

Thanks for that information, Randy. I did note that during my visit that St. Louis does have some great Italian and rib places, BTW

John, Thanks so much for posting these pictures of the Spanish Pavilion today in St. Louis. I had visited St. Louis as a kid in 1970 as I was just beginning to get interested in the Fair and I saw the pavilion as it looked then. It looked just like they'd taken the pavilion from Flushng and recreated it to St. Louis in its entirety. However, it was abandoned and padlocked. It is so good to see that Marriot kept the pavilion looking as it did and saved elements of the reconstruction from the Fair in the pavilion. I guess it is with good reason that Marriot calls it the "Marriot Pavilion Hotel." These photos are wonderful. I've not been back to St. Louis in 35 years but these pictures make me want to take a trip down there to see this sight for myself now that I could actually get inside the building! In many ways, it looks like this is a true legacy of the Fair because they kept statuary, ironworks and architectural elements of the pavilion intact. Amazing!

Thanks!

Bill