Sign in to follow this  
DeniseFuller

Restaurant of the Five Volcanos

I am thrilled to say I just snagged a wonderful piece of nostalgia from the NYWF! It is the cookbook from the Restaurant of the Five Volcanos in the Hawaiian Pavilion. That restaurant experience is one of my favorite food memories of the fair. The cover is bright red with purple volcanos and flowers. The font color is white. The booklet is in fabulous condition. I'd be happy to make a copy for the first couple of people who e-mail me. Book includes recipes for Kulua Pig and Pu Pu Platter appetizers!

....if only someone would invent a time travel machine would could all meet for a cool Planter's Punch in '64......

You can e-mail me at mailto:cluemap@aol.com with your requests for a copy.

Denise

P.S. I also just bought the charming booklet, "Let's Go to the Fair and Futurama" issued by General Motors.

Nice pickup Denise- the Five Volcanoes cookbook is one of the better NYWF cookbooks.

At one time I believe we had an illustrated list of '64-65 NYWF cookbooks from various pavilions on a PTU topic. Collectors like Denise might appreciate the list.

I'm having trouble finding it- apparently it didn't get indexed for searching when we migrated from the old board to the current one- but I'll keep looking.

Randy,

I would love to see the information regarding all the Fair cookbooks. This is my first of the cookbooks and it is my intention to collect them all. I was at the Beverly Hills Library today doing research on the '64 Fair. Didn't take very long. They had no information.......

Sigh.

They need a copy of Mr. Cotter's and Mr. Young's book. So do I, come to think of it.

Denise

I found a version of the previously posted 'list' that works-

<a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?showtopic=1470" target="_blank">http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...?showtopic=1470</a>

Don't forget that the Fair's Official Souvenir Book includes a chapter by Myra Waldo entitled "Dining Around the World" with about two dozen recipes for "classic dishes from restaurants of the International Area" plus a few regional U.S. dishes, too.

I got the Hawaii Pavilion Pineapple cookbook over the weekend. Lots of interesting recipes with pineapple as a main ingredient.

It came in an envelope with a cellophane cutout window in the shape of a pineapple (you can see the girl on the cover through the window).

The cookbook was produced by the Pineapple Grower's Association, and my copy was originally mailed in that envelope in December 1965 from the Association's headquarters in San Francisco.

Maybe visitors could fill out a coupon at the Pavilion to have one sent to them, or something like that, or maybe send in a dollar or so.

No, the pineapple cookbook was on eBay, where you can find it fairly frequently. Until I received it in the mail I didn't know it originally came in an envelope with a pineapple shaped cutout (it wasn't advertised or pictured as such on eBay in this case, and I don't remember ever seeing it pictured with the envelope). But now that any World's Fair cookbook collectors here know, you'll want to ask any sellers offering it whether they still have the envelope that it came in- it's definitely a plus.

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'll look for that booklet.

Denise: It's the hardcover Official Souvenir Book published by Time-Life, not to be confused with the paperback Official Guide. I bought my copy many years ago in a second-hand bookshop for under $5. You can usually find several copies on abebooks.com for around the same price today. They're probably also available on eBay.

Hi Bob,

Maybe you could let use know if there is anything on the Ice-Extravaganza in your book.I noticed some skaters on the front of your book.Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,Dave

Maybe you could let use know if there is anything on the Ice-Extravaganza in your book. I noticed some skaters on the front...

There's not much, Dave. Just this large photo of Dick Button and his lovely partner Sandy Culbertson (the same picture is on the cover).

The blurb at the top reads:

Entertainment at the Fair has the mark of

the space age on it. At the Wonderworld

Show in the Amphitheatre a daring young

lady is shot off on a trip to the moon. In

Dick Button's Ice-Travaganza (right) skat-

ers spend as much time up in the air as

they do on the ice. At the Florida pavilion

even the porpoises (left) seem eager and

ready for orbit. Guy Lombardo's produc-

tion of Around the World in 80 Days at

the Jones Beach Marine Theatre celebrates

the adventure of old-fashioned space travel.

The caption at the bottom of the page says:

A SPRINT THROUGH SPACE

Skating stars Sandy Culbertson and Dick Button

(right) skim and soar over the ice in Button's

Ice-Travaganza, a show with original music and lyrics.

It is in the City of New York pavilion.

Dick Button...YES!

Yes, I'm afraid so Denise. We had an 'attack' last year by an outside party and as a result the sponsors of this board put in the filter, but as you see it has frequent unfortunate results for us innocent parties.

Some political names are on the list too, like recent candidates President B.- and Senator K.-.

Do I ascertain that the exegesis of circumlocutary discourse is henceforth redundant?

Do I ascertain that the exegesis of circumlocutary discourse is henceforth redundant?

Dick Button. Dick Button. Dick Button. Dick Button.

Try it! It's great!

I also had a problem they other day when I typed in the theme of the Protestant & Orthodox Center- "Jesus Christ, The Light of the World".

In spite of my typing it in that way, it displayed "Son of God, The Light of the World".

That's one of the better filter replacements- certainly better than replacing "Kerry" with "Superman" - but still we don't want to change the official theme of the pavilion do we?

Thanks for getting the filters pulled Marc!

Since several key PTUers now have certain moderator powers, hopefully we can spot and do effective 'keyboard combat' with any internet terrorists who come this way in the future.