Sign in to follow this  
RocketThrower

Your Current Desk Top background?

What image is your current desktop background? Just curious and thought it would be fun to share.

Hiya Rocket

that wallpaper reminds me a little of the video for "Tonight, Tonight" by the Pumpkins. I actually had to minimize this window as I could not recall what wallpaper I was using. Alas, I am not using any. Howver, you have inspired me to find a new one.

I'll get back to ya

Best,

Billy

You can make this your desktop, complete with animation and sound.

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~c318137a/NYWF_Fireworks_Show.htm" target="_blank">http://home.earthlink.net/~c318137a/NYWF_Fireworks_Show.htm</a>

If you're using Windows, you have to turn on Active X.

You can have your desktop run it directly off the internet (if you're always connected), but I'd recommend saving it locally on your hard drive (it's not that big). If you want to try it, rather than try to download it off the internet send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the files (there are some hidden files that are not obvious unless you looked at the html source code and then went searching for those files).

Unless you have some serious horsepower on your machine (read: CPU) you will notice some degradation of your computer's overall performance if you're multi-tasking- (if you have several applications open at once).

Still, it looks real nice on your desktop, and if you have it on a machine at work when people are arriving for a meeting to see a Powerpoint presentation and they see your computer's desktop projected on the wall as they're finding their seat, it gets a lot of oohs and ahs and people asking where is that? Then you can tell them about the World's Fair.

THIS IS TRULY UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

I just came online to create this very thread myself!

I was going to ask everybody to show us their wallpaper/desktop that they have on their monitors right now. Amazing.

I have the same night scene from NYS that Plumber is using.

Hiya Rocket

that wallpaper reminds me a little of the video for "Tonight, Tonight" by the Pumpkins. I actually had to minimize this window as I could not recall what wallpaper I was using. Alas, I am not using any. Howver, you have inspired me to find a new one.

I'll get back to ya 

Best,

Billy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Billy,

Reminded me of the same, with a few homey touches. the image of the moon is "Tillie" from the Palace Amusents building in Asbury Park NJ. And Santa is riding in one of the Bumper cars from the amusements within it. Love it. The building was demolished earlier this year, but Tillie (which was a huge painting outlined in neon and appeared winking at you) was saved! See Save Tillie for more info.

Here is Tillie during his better days:

Did someone last year share a holiday screen saver of the fair grounds with snow coming down?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

'twas me.

It uses similar java technology as the fireworks show, so it should be installable as your animated desktop wallpaper (I've tried it with the fireworks, but not the snow). The same recommendations about saving it locally and getting the 'hidden files' from me if you want to try it.

Click Here

Hey Billy,

Reminded me of the same, with a few homey touches. the image of the moon is "Tillie" from the Palace Amusents building in Asbury Park NJ. And Santa is riding in one of the Bumper cars from the amusements within it. Love it. The building was demolished earlier this year, but Tillie (which was a huge painting outlined in neon and appeared winking at you) was saved! See Save Tillie for more info.

Here is Tillie during his better days:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Rocket I knew what it was but you beat me to it.I have pictures of the convention center before it was torn down

Dave

Maybe I should look for my entire Pre-Fair panoramic photo under scaffolding and snow c1938....have another with surveyors or whatever taking measurements in the middle the frozen fountain lake during constrcuction. Both were taken by the man who took the image in my icon. I need an organizer! I need help! Too many photographs!

Billy

I am so proud that Tillie is so well known. I grew up with that alive in neon and am so pleased he is well known. Tillie is home to me.

I use a freeware program called Wallmaster that cycles through a variety of photos. I like that better than having one background all the time.

Here are some of the current batch:

wallpaper-1.jpg

wallpaper-2.jpg

wallpaper-3.jpg

wallpaper-4.jpg

Bill

I don't know what it is but I found myself staring for the longest time at the picture of the General Foods arch. It is an angle I never really saw before and it is also so bright and alive. For a few seconds I was back there

Thanks Rob

I really enjoy the picture as well, Rob. It was taken in Sept 64. Here's the text of the sign on the arch:

--A REQUEST FOR YOUR HELP--

ALL OF THE LAWN AREAS WITHIN THE

FAIR GROUNDS WERE PROVIDED FOR YOUR

VISUAL ENJOYMENT. PLEASE HELP US

PROTECT THESE LAWNS BY STAYING OFF