Sign in to follow this  
Expo_Seeker40

Have a very merry vintage x-mas?!

It seems that in recent years everything vintage has become quite a success in popularity. Last year was one of the first years that more people tried decorating for a replica vitnage x-mas than was seen in nearly 2 decades! It is both fun and amazing that people are having an interest in decorating for the holidays in good old fashion american x-mas.

My question is has anyone here at PTU tried and having a vintage x-mas or still puts vintage x-mas decoration around their home?

LOL has anyone tried to turn their living room into the original ending of the carousel of progress. Complete with fake silver tree and gold ornaments.

I have a vintage 6 ft aluminum silver tree I put gold ornaments on. The instruction manual is dated 1957. Were they even out way back then? I always thought Aluminum trees was a 60's thing.

It is in it's original box, with sleeves to slide the branches in for storage and also have the original musical (real music box, no micro-chip cheese) rotating stand in its original box as well. No color wheel however. Never liked the weird colors the color wheel changed the ornaments into.

Speaking of vintage, my favorite vintage decor for the holidays is halloween. I have lots of vintage paper mache halloween decoratioons. Some original and some replicas.

placeholder.gif

CPB.jpg

I have a vintage 6 ft aluminum silver tree I put gold ornaments on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That looks like mine. I've got a late 50s Regal Aluminum tree, with pom-ended branches. It's that exact same shape, all the branches of equal length, and the angle of insertion changing from bottom to top, so that it ends up looking quite abstract. I've got the Penetray colour wheel (love those!) but not a rotating base. I put silver balls on mine

In general, I just like the 'space age' Christmas decorations better. They look more festive.

For those who're interested, Meijer's stores are selling the blinking C7 lights this year. They're the transparent jewel-coloured sort that were so popular in the 1960s. I'm using them to line my windows.

You guys need to check ebay, as you may be sitting on goldmines. I've heard those vintage metal trees are extremely desirable these days.

Yes indeed, Bill Y. is Mr. Christmas. He starts decorating September 1st, and is finished with removal on May 1st! The North Pole has nothing on Bill's Sheboygan Christmas Wonderland!

I just bought a vintage lighted Candy Cane on ebay. I found the one my Dad used to put on the side of our house for the holidays. I remember it so fondly. When I saw the Candy Cane - Santa was not far behind.

My friend Roberta just got 2 vintage wall decorations her Grandmother used to have. She is still however, searching for a silver tree with blue balls that rotates on its stand.

Oh the good old days.

She is still however, searching for a silver tree with blue balls that rotates on its stand.

This was my grandma's tree complete with the blue balls, in December 1964 at her house in Florida. The tree didn't rotate, but she did have one of those rotating color wheels aimed at it, that made it look like the silver tree branches were changing colors. Notice the matching silver & blue wrapped garlands. The first time I saw it I was 7 or 8 years old, and I thought it was the most bizarre Christmas tree I'd ever seen.

That's my mom standing next to the tree.

ChristmasTree.jpg

To segue this topic into a World's Fair connection, here's a Trivia Quiz-

This Christmas Tree was prominently displayed at the New York World's Fair throughout both the 1964 and the 1965 seasons, and was seen by millions of visitors.

Who in PTU-land knows exactly where it was located?

ChristmasTreeNYWF.jpg

To segue this topic into a World's Fair connection, here's a Trivia Quiz-

This Christmas Tree was prominently displayed at the New York World's Fair throughout both the 1964 and the 1965 seasons, and was seen by millions of visitors.

Who in PTU-land knows exactly where it was located?

Ah...let me guess.The American Express Pavilion

I did a search here but couldnt find a link.

American Express was known for their holiday decorations

Regards,Dave

Bradd is correct!

Specifically, it was on the kitchenette table in the 'modern kitchen' display on the left side of the set for the final 1960's scene.

ChristmasTreeNYWF02.jpg

Hey Randy,

Your grandmother's tree was actually quite elegant - nice controlled mix of color! The trees I remember were a riot of color. My aluminum tree memory was of a family who had a six foot tree through most of the sixties. I too thought it strange back then as a New England boy who always had a real tree.

Then, in the late sixities my mother bought a little two foot aluminum model she decorated as our "pre-tree" after Thanksgiving.

bluetree.jpg

Here's my aluminum tree, all mysterious and blue. One of the things I love about these is the way they change moods as the colour wheel does its work. The lights behind it are the random-flashing C7 type (here just turned on, so they're all lit). It's Christmas 1964!

another link

<a href="http://www.kshs.org/cool2/cooltree.htm" target="_blank">http://www.kshs.org/cool2/cooltree.htm</a>

<a href=" xmastree1.jpg" target="_blank"> xmastree1.jpg</a>

or

<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2004-11-29-aluminum-trees_x.htm" target="_blank">http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/200...num-trees_x.htm</a>

Ooooooo.......nice!

Is that a nativity scene I see? I thought they were illegal?

Seriously though, we had a very nice one as kids, with several china figures. Each figure was wrapped in tissue and stored in a box. On the appointed day, my brother and I would dig into the box, alternately, and pull out figures. Of course, the one who unwrapped the baby Jesus won the lottery!

A thrilling holiday tradition.

Is that a nativity scene I see?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is. You've a keen eye. I need to get a light bulb run into the back of that to illuminate it.

My 6 ft aluminum tree in 1991. Only the second time it was ever used!

The original owners gave it to me. It was overheard that I loved these trees, they had one that was only used once, hated it, so it was given to me.

I grew up with one in the late 60's as well. Both my Mom and Grandmother each had one. Don't know what ever happened to those. But having this pristine one makes up for it.

I don't use it every year to save wear and tear on it. This year it is at rest. When in use, it now goes in the bedroom. I have Gold to put on it one year, red in honor of my grandmothers favorite color for other years, and Blue in honor of one of my very best pals favorite color (who passed away at a very young age). So, it is different every year.