Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Pictures of the Day

Here are a couple of winter '63-64 pictures (processed in January '64) snapped by somebody who was apparently on their way to work in the morning on the Long Island Rail Road.

Picture #1

Jan64-13.jpg

Closeup- the Bluebirds have arrived

Jan64-13a.jpg

Closeup- Singer Bowl

Jan64-13b.jpg

Closeup- the Kodak tower looks finished, but no pictures discernable on it

Jan64-13c.jpg

Closeup- United States Pavilion

Jan64-13d.jpg

Closeup- and last but not least, a "bonus"- Shea Stadium reflected from the other side of the train!

Jan64-13e.jpg

Picture #2

Jan64-14.jpg

Closeup- more Bluebirds

Jan64-14a.jpg

Closeup- Pavilion of American Interiors. It wasn't ready by Opening Day.

Jan64-14b.jpg

Closeup- Are these the power transformer concrete safety barriers? If so, they still exist today (abandoned), and there's a recent picture somewhere here on PTU.

Jan64-14c.jpg

Closeup- a picnic canopy on top of the Pavilion dome? Nice lunch break location for the workers, with a view. But I'd think it'd get a might chilly up there!

Jan64-14d.jpg

Closeup- no trace of Mastro Pizza yet

Jan64-14e.jpg

Closeup- and finally we have that mainstay of domestic aviation, the classic piston-engined passenger aircraft. Probably a DC-6 or DC-7. It has its landing gear down, so it must be on final approach to LaGuardia. The 727 had it's first flight in '63 and didn't start entering airline fleets in large numbers until '64. And 707's, DC-8's, and Convair 880's were mostly used on intercontinental and transcontinental flights. That left the bulk of trunk aviation- New York-Chicago for instance, to these propeller jobs, which faithfully served for many years, but were mostly gone by the early 70's.

Jan64-14f.jpg

I see a shadow of Shea on several of the photographs. Is that a reflection that is found on the original snapshots? Or is it a computer related creation?

Great photographs. What an exciting time that must have been in NYC.

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. How exciting it must have been traveling past that magic land everyday as it was being built.

Randy,

In the bottom right hand corner of picture #2 appears to be a checker cab stuck in the snow.Or could it be a cabby waiting for a customer?

Nice picts.

Dave

In the bottom right hand corner of picture #2 appears to be a checker cab stuck in the snow.Or could it be a cabby waiting for a customer?

No, just somebody who parked in front of a fire plug, got blizzardized, and then "plow-sprayed". There are some other cars around the lot buried even deeper. Must have been a major snow the night before.

Jan64-14g.jpg

I remember that winter well, there was superior sledding to be had.

Randy, the power transformer concrete safety barriers that you talked about in your photo, are the barriers that were removed, the other set are still there, last time I looked.

When you think about it, today we can peruse pictures like this and almost instantly identify the iron framework of the Singer Bowl, the roughed-in shape of the Pavilion of American Interiors, etc.

But to somebody passing by on the train in the winter of '63-64, I'm sure almost all of it was a big wonderful mystery! A lot of odd shapes and curious spires and such, which were quite intriguing, and plenty of 'rumors' about what was going to be there. But probably no maps unless you were a fair insider or architect or construction worker, and no way to identify one pavilion from another.

At this time in the Fair’s construction, we had the World’s Fair Kit put out by the Mobile Gas Company.

We learned an enormous amount about the Fair from the maps and photos in that kit. My cousins and I did our homework and by opening day we knew exactly where we wanted to go.

And artist's renderings were out and about also, if one had the inclination to seek them out.....

What a great time to be a New Yorker! I would've been insane with excitement!

I can't see these either. I can just see the file names. I'm logged in and using Chrome and tried Firefox but NG.  Any suggestions?

The files may have been misplaced in a long-ago server change. I'm sending a note to Bill Cotter to ask if he can determine their status.

Bill says they were links to Randy's geocities.com account.

Try messaging Randy.