Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Fair From 8th Ave Subway Entrance @ Night

Hi All,

here is a nice b/w of the Fair taken from the 8th Avenue Subway Station showing the night illumination this Fair was famous for.

Best,

Billy

postedFAIRfrom8thAVEentrance.jpg

Fair at night from 8th Avenue Station

© el ic

Billy,

Your images blow me away. I really feel I was born in the wrong era.

I can not thank you enough for sharing your excellent images with us.

I can never get enough...

RocketThrower

Billy,

Is this the subway station located in the amusement zone? It appears to be based on the angle of the Perisphere. If it is, I am trying to locate the Carrier "igloo," but maybe my bearings are off.

Jim

This reminds me of Luna Park

Does anyone remember Luna Park?

Regards,Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm too young to remember Luna Park, but my folks talked about it all the time. I have always loved the 64 NYWF because I was there, but all these recent images lately of 39 make me want to explore it more. It has such a different feel to it almost sureal.

The history of Coney Island and especially Luna Park reads like the best World’s Fair of their time. Of course, there were little in the way of the Arts and Sciences, but there was much to see and enjoy. Surf the net and you will be amazed, I grew up going to Coney Island all the time. In fact, during a ten-year period of my childhood from five to fifteen years of age, I estimate 1500 visits.

MitchS and I have had our own little PTU Coney Island style for some time now.

A small note of interest regarding Luna Park, after it burned down the remaining owner, (I believe it was Frederic Thompson) charged admission to people who wanted to see the smoldering ruins of what was once Luna Park.

One of many World’s Fair connections is the Charles Feltman Carousel that is still in FMCP. Feltman invented the ‘hot dog’ and a man named Nathan Handwerker worked for him.

Nathan saved his money, opened a hot dog stand across the street from Feltman’s place, and charged people a nickel for his hot dog, half the price that Feltman was charging.

No one thought you could get a good hot dog for that price and the place remained empty. Nathan hired bums to fill his counter, that only discouraged would be patrons. Mr. Handwerker went to an advertising agency; they in turn dressed the bums in doctor’s lab coats. When people came out of the subway station and saw all these doctors eating at Nathan’s they assumed that the food had to be healthy. The rest is history.

One more World’s Fair connection regarding Luna Park, the two geniuses behind Luna Park, Frederic Thompson and Elmer "Skip" Dundy; met and created their partnership at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo with Thompson's "Trip to the Moon" illusion ride, they later brought that ride to Coney Island.

One more World’s Fair connection regarding Luna Park, the two geniuses behind Luna Park, Frederic Thompson and Elmer "Skip" Dundy; met and created their partnership at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo with Thompson's "Trip to the Moon" illusion ride, they later brought that ride to Coney Island.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GoodJob!

I have the pbs special on Coney Island and Luna Park.

Isnt history a great thing!

Regards,Dave

ps,one more thing.When you guys do a search for Luna Park on Google it probably will bring you to PTU

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I thought the PBS, American Experience, documentary was very good.

Luna Park was beautiful in it's electric wonder.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Seattle had a Luna Park as well.

I had seen it on some maps from the same time as the 1909 AYP Expo (the site of which became today's University of Washington campus), and there are a number of pictures of it on this web site-

<a href="http://pdxhistory.com.tripod.com/seluna/seluna.html" target="_blank">http://pdxhistory.com.tripod.com/seluna/seluna.html</a>

But when I was in Seattle twice last year, we drove out toward Alki Point to eat at Salty's- a classy seafood restaurant- and I drove around the area where I knew Luna Park was located on those 90-year old maps, and couldn't find any sign of it. You no longer need to take a ferry to cross Elliott Bay from downtown Seattle- there's a bridge. But anything remaining of Luna Park? Nope- absolutely zero. And I didn't have time to ask around to find out if anybody knew where I could find any remaining artifacts, ruins, foundations or anything. Today it's all a thickly wooded residential area.

But back in it's day.....just take a look at that web page.

I must have driven right past the last remaining edifice from Seattle's Luna Park and didn't know it.

And as we speak this last remnant is being replaced, because it is danger of collapsing.

<a href="http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/maintenance/luna.htm" target="_blank">http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/maintenance/luna.htm</a>

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Luna park knows no geographical boundaries.

When my sister, Cathie, moved to Australia she sent me a book about various sites around Sydney. One of them was, yes, Luna Park.

<a href="http://www.lunaparksydney.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.lunaparksydney.com/index.html</a>

There is also a Luna Park in Melbourne:

<a href="http://www.lunapark.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.lunapark.com.au/</a>

I viewed the images of the Looff carousel with great interest, Randy. I've ridden several Looff's in RI, and always thought them things of beauty.

I also discovered, through your link, that I rode the Luna Park carousel during a trip to San Francisco many years ago. Thank you for the links.

Rose, of the saddle blisters and ever whirling head (but the latter is pretty much my natural state.)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

It is a Moon thing; think about it, a lifetime goal for all humanity, the moon. Recurring theme in public events. The cinema, our fair had a dozen of them*. Did other previous fairs look to the Moon?

*who can name them?

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->There was a court of the moon at the Golden Gate International Exhibition.

I look forward to learning the answer to your question, Hood sensei.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Hi,

yes, this is the station. Carrier is too low I think to be seen in this overexposed image, but we are looking more or less in the right direction.

Best,

Billy

Billy,

Is this the subway station located in the amusement zone?  It appears to be based on the angle of the Perisphere.  If it is, I am trying to locate the Carrier "igloo," but maybe my bearings are off.

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

yes, I have some awesome b/w candids of Luna park at night. The Steeplechase etc.. When I find them I will post them

Best,

Billy

This reminds me of Luna Park

Does anyone remember Luna Park?

Regards,Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a Moon thing; think about it, a lifetime goal for all humanity, the moon. Recurring theme in public events. The cinema, our fair had a dozen of them*.*who can name them?

I found thirteen!

1. Court of the Moon

2. Lunar Fountain

3. Kodak Moondeck or Moonroof

4. Space Park Apollo mission Lunar Excursion Module (LEM, or Lunar Lander)

5. Space Park- Apollo Command Service Model (designed for trip to moon)

6. Space Park- Saturn V boattail (designed to boost Apollo on its way to the moon)

7. Space Park- Ranger lunar spacecraft

8 To the Moon and Beyond (T&T Pavilion)

9. International Silver's "Moon Room" (Pavilion of American Interiors)

10. G.M. Futurama II Moonbase

11. G.M. Futurama II Lunar Rover

12. The "Lunar" set of Official Fair Collecting Stamps (stickers) (the other set was called the "Solar" set)

13. Japan Pavilion's MOONey-Mitsubishi MU-2 aircraft

Okay, maybe the last one is cheating....

I must have driven right past the last remaining edifice from Seattle's Luna Park and didn't know it.

And as we speak this last remnant is being replaced, because it is danger of collapsing.

http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/maintenance/luna.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that I remember reading that during the occasional extremely low tide some Luna Park pilings are visable.

Randy, a great start, however you omitted New England and the exhibit at The Better Living Center, Federal too. I am willing to bet that one of every two pavilions had some sort of moon theme.

Hi there again,

I think that is Carrier right in front of US Steel. I have a color slide of it at dusk and a b/w print at night - awesome building.

Best,

Billy

Hi,

yes, this is the station. Carrier is too low I think to be seen in this overexposed image, but we are looking more or less in the right direction.

Best,

Billy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Randy, please tell us again why you chose the Log Flume as your monica (handle)?

No particular reason- fun, refreshing, different; the forestry theme is appealing (although the NYWF didn't seem to build on it much- they just erected the flume on a 'parking lot' without any fake trees, robot audioanimatronic raccoons and bears, NOTHING. But that's okay- cool spray in the face on a hot day is attractive all by itself.

Nowadays a World's Fair log flume would have to be a 'dark ride'- like what Space Mountain did for roller coasters- with all kinds of special effects, surround sound & video, etc. And of course the sudden drops in the dark, splashes and sprays. Have the log come down a chute directly into a virtual sawmill heading directly toward a buzz saw, then at the last second have the log drop down under the saw down a large ramp to another splash.

What would be real cool would be to come off a drop, hit the splash and have the log 'break in two' between the front seat and the back seat, with the front section continuing down one flume and the back section going down a different flume to one side. Then they each spin around like a top in the water, race side by side, passing each other, going over, around etc.,- kind of like the Indiana Jones mine cars, until 'miraculously' joining back together at the end of the ride.

Oh yeah, you could make it a 'Mars' ride by putting red coloring in the water, have steam machines all over the place and underwater bubblers, to make it look like the water the log is careening through is 'boiling hot'.

I believe there were several other connections between Luna Park and The Pan American Exposition. The central structure of Luna Park was an enormous and ornate tower which was a remarkable replica of Buffalo's Electric Tower. I also believe two other Pan exhibits were recreated at Luna: The Johnstown Flood and Dreamland (both from the Midway area of the Pan). Certainly, the lighting of Luna--with the buildings studded with thousands of bulbs--was directly taken from the Pan American Exposition's stunning success with electric lighting. I believe there is an Images Of America book devoted to Luna and other Coney Island Parks. Also, there is one devoted to the Pan American Exposition.

I bought a book recently about the history of Coney Island and it's got a lot of great shots of Luna Park and Steeplechase and Dreamland (is that it? I read the book a while ago...). I would have given quite a lot to have been born back then. such a simpler time and the architecture is fantastic.

On another note, my grandmother always used to yell at us when we had too many lights on in too many rooms..."Whaddya think I'm running here? Luna Park?" or "Why is this house lit up like Luna Park!?" I always thought it was Luner Park, no thanks to Nana's Long Island/Brooklyn accent! I couldn't figure out what lights being turned on had to do with the moon!