Sign in to follow this  
MitchS

US Royal- You gotta see this...

I received an email from a gentleman who has in his possesion an interesting US Royal Ferris Wheel. Not a toy, but a full tire sized working model made for promotional purposes. Its very cool.

Please view a few pictures here <a href="http://64nywf65.20m.com/0USRoyal.htm" target="_blank">http://64nywf65.20m.com/0USRoyal.htm</a>

He is interested in determining the value but has not decided what he will be doing with it just yet.

Any comments?

Wow! That is too amazing. I bet it goes for a bunch if it ends up on eBay.

Isn't it amazing how things keep turning up in garages, etc. after all these years? Perhaps we'll one day see Robert Moses' personal Unisphere again!

I wonder if all the major US Royal stores had one of these on display? What a great collectable, they even have the original crate.

The original box makes it unique, but otherwise it doesn't look all that difficult to duplicate with an old U.S. Royal tire that could be sawed in half, and the ferris wheel could be built, along with the red buckets.

It would be kind of neat to have one of these operating, with a caricature doll in each bucket representing a PTUer.

There goes Bill...

There goes Doug....

Hi Mary Ellen....

Howdy Ray....

'Bench!- you been on there for 40 years?

Jess would be easy to spot in her Arlington Hat with the tall feather....

Any guesses as to what this is worth? $1500? $2500?

Any guesses as to what this is worth?  $1500? $2500?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not for long if the owner starts gluing things back on, or decides to "clean" it.

Best,

Billy

I agree that is incredible how things keep turning up when one least expects it. Did I read correctly that this was possibly displayed at dealerships? Does this mean that there may be others out there?

I think that GE model went for over $5,000.

It was classier, easier and more atractive to display, the lights lit and rotated, it was in better condition... PLUS it had the Disney connection.

That being said, who knows? This Tire is so cool and unusual!

We know of at least two of the GE models (the one on eBay and John Ricciardelli's which is in the Queens Museum, and maybe some of you know of others, but in all this time, we've only seen ONE of these.

I hope we get to see where this goes. Interesting stuff.

Thanks all, I shall forward him some of our opinions. I will also see if he has a story behind it, where and how he acquired it. Maybe we'll see it on ebay some day, destined for a PRIVATE collection...oh well, at least we saw the pictures

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Wow!

What an amazing piece of history.

...um Randy, can I ride the giant tire, too? Or maybe, because I'm generally afraid of heights: my character can wave from the ride's base. You can put a mini bel gem waffle in my non waving hand. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

On 10/26/2004 at 8:02 PM, MitchS said:

I received an email from a gentleman who has in his possesion an interesting US Royal Ferris Wheel. Not a toy, but a full tire sized working model made for promotional purposes. Its very cool.

Please view a few pictures here <a href="http://64nywf65.20m.com/0USRoyal.htm" target="_blank">http://64nywf65.20m.com/0USRoyal.htm</a>

He is interested in determining the value but has not decided what he will be doing with it just yet.

Any comments?

Sorry for resurrecting a 14 year old thread, but does anyone know what became of this model?