scrock30

New England Pavilion

Hey anybody out there have any pictures of the New England pavillion area. Its one of the areas (the other being the fiesta pavilion) I've seen few if any pictures of. thanks for your help. Steve

Hi Randy, NO nothing in particular, the closest pictures I've seen are those taken of the Unisphere from the NY state pavilion. The pictures might help me get a feel for the layout of the place. I also have wanted to see those needle like towers near what I would guess would be the main entrance.

thanks Brad, You're right Randy usually comes up with the good ones although I'm hoping Bill will put up some also.

Great... I've been waitin' for this thread to come along!

So, did each state have its own little building?

And if so, what was in that central building with all the windows?

My family toured the New England pavilion during our visit to the fair (we lived in southwestern New Hampshire). Unfortunately I recall very little of the place beyond the liberty tree - but I remember keenly my parents sour comments about what a less then impressive presentation it was. Happily this wasn't their general impression of the fair as they still prefer New York over Expo 67.

I thought Randy would have beat me to it, but here are a couple of quick shots.

nywf-ne-1.jpg

There was a group of small exhibit buildings connected together. There was also a stage area and a shop, The New England Country Store.

nywf-ne-2.jpg

This night view gives you a good idea of what the exhibit buildings looked like inside. I have some shots of the actual exhibits if people would like to see them.

Bill

Wow I have never seen any pictures of this exhibit before. It sort of reminds me of an outlet mall.

Bill of course we'd like to see them. Do you even need to ask? Bring em on.

I'll post them tonight, but be advised that most look like they were done on a budget of $1.50 or less!

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Although my family and I lived in New England; I do not belive that we visited the New England States pavillion. My dad always had a "why spend time looking at something on our vacation, that we can see any day back home." type of attitude.

I've always been curious as to the exhibit New England States put on at the fair. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Does anyone know if the "liberty tree" display is the same that once was placed in the Boston Common? (I would recognise that tree/sculpture.)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

That's right Hood, New Hampshire's "First in the Nation" sweepstakes was held right here in my home town of Salem, NH. You bought a lottery ticket (I still have my stub) and then through some complicated formula, they picked tickets and assigned the tickets to one of several horses in the big sweepstakes race. The race was held here at Rockingham Park (built by August Belmont of Belmont Park)

From <a href="http://www.rockinghampark.com/history.htm" target="_blank">http://www.rockinghampark.com/history.htm</a>

"While other states instituted broad-based taxes such as a state wide sales, income or property tax, New Hampshire was able to remain tax-free with the help of Rockingham Park.

New Hampshire instituted the first-in-the-nation state lottery in 1963, and Smith had another flash of brilliance. The Rock created the New Hampshire Sweepstakes in 1964, which was patterned on the Irish Sweepstakes, and it was the nation's first sweepstakes lottery.

The race was televised nationally on ABC Sports, and although a crowd of 65,000 was projected, only about 17,000 people actually attended because there was too much advance publicity. A costly infield footbridge built just for the occasion wasn't needed.

The 1965-67 runnings of the N.H. Sweeps were the richest races in the country for three-year-olds with the $250,000-added handles.

In 1967, Hall-of-Famer Dr. Fager, greatest horse ever to run at Rockingham, set records which stand today, and he was named racing's Horse of the Year in 1968. Once again, the NH Sweeps figured prominently on the national scene as Roman Brother was also named Horse of the Year in 1965 following his 1964 Sweeps victory.

Due to declining lottery ticket sales, the NH Sweeps was discontinued after its fourth running in 1967, and the race wouldn't be revived until much later."

I think it was at that point that we started scratch ticket craze that sweept the nation.

The rest is history.

There had been many lotteries in the 19th century but they got out of hand and were all finally banned. New Hampshire's Sweepstakes lottery/race was the first "modern" lottery.

Ok, some pictures of the New England exhibits as promised:

#1 - A gun collection. What's scary about this one is that a number of them appear to be missing!

nywf-ne-3.jpg

#2 - A diorama, perhaps?

nywf-ne-4.jpg

#3 - Mounted fish

nywf-ne-5.jpg

#4 - One of a number of ship models

nywf-ne-6.jpg

New England Country Store

NE_Country_Store1.jpg

Bill Cotter photo, Set 62, picture #012

NE_Country_Store2.jpg

Bill Cotter photo, Set 69, picture #003

NE_Country_Store3.jpg

Bill Cotter photo, Set 60, picture #020

NE_Country_Store4.jpg

ViewMaster Set A674, Reel 2, Picture #10

More exhibits-

Whale boat model

New_England1.jpg

Bill Cotter photo, Set 60, picture #018

Kennedy art

New_England2.jpg

Bill Cotter photo, Set 50, picture #025

more Kennedy art

New_England3.jpg

Bill Cotter photo, Set 50, picture #026

New England city diorama

New_England4.jpg

ViewMaster Set A674, Reel 2, Picture #11

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Looking at these photos makes me believe that whomever put together the New England pavilion: could have done a better job.

Matters representing the history of New England, and it's place in our countries development; could have provided many interesting exhibits. Exhibits in regard to whaling, textile manufacturing, and stories of the famous, and infamous, could have provided so more than what is seen in these photos.

There were a few nods to the above, but I suspect most nods were from heads falling asleep. (Including security, where are those missing guns?) It would take quite a few maple candy bribes to get the kids enthusiastic about these exhibits.

Great moments with John Quincy Adams, anyone? (just kidding.)

Great photos! Many thanks for them.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Now I know why I've not seen many pictures from here. What a sleeper of an exhibit. I agree with some of the other posts. I've been to New England many times, its a beautiful place, I even spent my honeymoon on Cape Cod. They could have and should have put on a much better show. Thanks to everyone for this look into another corner of the fair.

Was the Millstone in the New England Pavilion?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Menus-Placemats-NY-Worlds-Fair-The-Millstone-1964_W0QQitemZ7754928794QQcategoryZ4169QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Menus-Placemats-NY-W...1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

Yes. There's a photo somewhere here on PTU

(here it is-

http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?showtopic=3407

....showing Tonight Show band leader Skitch Henderson signing the guest book at the Millstone Restaurant. The picture was shot by the restaurant manager, and I bought it from his estate. I also bought a Millstone menu, just like the one on eBay, but autographed by Skitch Henderson during that visit.

I suspect that the New England Pavilion would look a lot differently today with Greater Boston being a major high-tech region, medical and educational mecca... not to mention home of two World Series' and three Superbowls in five years!

You'd still have the big focus on lighthouses, lobsters and skiing, but the technology and sports would be more than just a footnote.

!!**LEGACY LEGACY**!!! I am taking a guess posting this query in the New England Pavilion thread, but here it goes: I am at the New Bedford Whaling Museum in New Bedford Mass, where we have an 1830's Purrington & Russell panorama entitled "Whaling Voyage Around the World". A portion of it was apparently displayed at the NYWF, and I would like to find out exactly where, and obtain a photo of it installed there. The reason being (aside for curiosity's sake) that it was apparently "modified" to fit around some air-conditioning equipment, and now it falls on us 45 years later to fix the damage that was done for display at the fair. A September 4, 1964 letter sheds light on this incident: "Letter from Davis Howes (ODHS President and member of Prescott, Bullard & McLeod) reviewing condition of Panorama (app. 150' of New Bedford section) exhibited at the World's Fair, N.Y. 1954-1965. Appears solving the opening of the air conditioning ducts involved: 'The third solution advanced was to carefully cut the Panorama four inches from the top, and fold back the cut area so that it could be restitched, which would allow for the air conditioning to operate'". An image of the panorama is displayed on the homepage of our website at http://www.whalingmuseum.org if that helps jog anyone's memory. Can anybody help us get more information regarding the use (and abuse) of our treasured panorama at the fair???

What are you doing in New Bedford? I grew up there, and I've spent untold days in that museum. Haven't been in probably 10 year though. ( I live about 1 1/2 hrs northwest of NB now).

I'm also curious about the photo of the whaleboat that Randy posted. That looks like a piece that would either be in the New Bedford or the Nantucket museum. Maybe you can look around a bit more...?

What are you doing in New Bedford? I grew up there, and I've spent untold days in that museum. Haven't been in probably 10 year though. ( I live about 1 1/2 hrs northwest of NB now).

I'm also curious about the photo of the whaleboat that Randy posted. That looks like a piece that would either be in the New Bedford or the Nantucket museum. Maybe you can look around a bit more...?

Yeah, that was my thought exactly re: the whaleboat. I will print off a copy to bring to the next curatorial meeting and see if anyone can recognize it as one of our holdings. After all, we apparently loaned the panorama to the fair so it is plausible that other items were put on display at the fair as well. We do have an awful lot in storage for rotating exhibition. In fact, I am now wondering what archives we have here that might pertain to the museum's involvement at the world's fair. I am here at the museum for a few months working on conserving their old books and papers, and doing some cataloging for them being a conservator / archvist. I really like New Bedford and the area. I lived in Boston a long time and never came here to visit, so it is all very new to me. I have quickly become a kale soup and cacoila addict! Anyway, I would write to Randy for his thoughts on the panorama at the fair, but I suspect he put all his photos on this thread already. Well, maybe I will ask anyway just in case. Stay tuned!