Sign in to follow this  
Mary Ellen

Anyone going to the Rocket Park Rededication?

I got an invite in the mail on Saturday. There were a bunch of names listed on their planning committee but I didn't recognize any of them.

I guessed my presence on PTU must have got my name on the list somehow, but I'm not sure how they got my address. No problem with it- just curious.

I wish I could be there, but it won't be possible this time. Of course whenever I DO get to visit FMCP, the Rocket Park will definitely be one of the tour stops.

Hi Mary Ellen,

I received an invitation as well. By a stroke of luck I will be in NYC on that date so I called in my acceptance. I shall hope to see you there.

John

Somehow I was invited to the September 30 event. Anyone going? I probably missed a long discussion about this somewhere along the line.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I was invited, too.

Someone has placed me on a list that deals with all things Flushing Meadows Corona Park. I'm quite grateful for whomever did this. I love the updates and save the mailings.

As always: I wish I could attend. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I was invited as well. Thanx to whoever put me on the list but I will not be able to attend either.

Hope those of you who go, enjoy it.

I hope whoever goes from PTU has an excellent time! This should be a bittersweet moment. I hope the weather is great and high hopes to all!

What is so neat about this is that the rockets don't need wires/cables to hold them up anymore.

You can have mine. It was sent to an address I haven't used for years but still found me. I think they must have used the old NYWF mailing list from the museum.

I want to go, its a weekday (the only days I can do anything)

I braught this up in the spring and was given a date in (November ?) I think ?

I called the HOS and cant get a call back ...need a name.

-Joe

Here is the "announcement / invitation" that I received.

There is a phone number with an extension # to RSVP- I'd bet you could try to call the number and say you accept their gracious invitation, and then see if they double check your name against a list or anything...

Science.jpg

...or just print out this picture on your color inkjet printer, take it with you, and see if it'll get you admitted... [you didn't hear it here, of course!]

Here is the deal with those (as far as I get)

Each one is good for a group of people, you have to call to RSVP with in your name and number of people in your group and if you need the bus from Manhatten.

Its first come first serve, the invite must be the hard copy.

Can sombody put me in there group ?

-Joe

Can sombody put me in there group ?

-Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Update: Im set and bringing my digital SLR

-Joe

Im not sure if this was ever posted but here are some photos of the reinstallation of the rockets:

<a href="http://nyhallsci.org/nyhs-pressroom/nyhs-pressreleases/pr-rockets_returned-gallery.html" target="_blank">http://nyhallsci.org/nyhs-pressroom/nyhs-p...ed-gallery.html</a>

Question: Is the new rocket park in the same area as the old rocket park or was

it completely moved.If so, what did they put on the old rocket park area?

I was at the park recently, but didnt have a chance to look.

The new rocket park is in the same vicinity in the old rocket park area. The new rocket park is like only 1/4 to 2/4 of what the old rocket park used to be. That other part of the old rocket park was taken out when the Science City wing was installed and will open around Thanksgiving this year.

The new rocket park will have of course a fully resotred and real Atlas and Titan rocket, along with replica capsules on top. They are somewhat near their original location from the world's fair, but not quite.

The new rocket park will also have an elevated mock up of the Saturn V engine. The other engines I guess were sent off to other museums or scrapped in some possible cases.

I guess you will be able to walk under the engine, since it appears to be propped up.

There will also be a mercury climb in capsule, very remininsent of the one at the world's fair.

A rocket launch site, and some water pressure thingy for kids. The real mercury capsule that was on the atlas rocket for eyars was resotred and lies inside the museum indoors. I don't if it is on public display or not. There will also be new lighting and signange along with of course new landscaping and pavement to help give the rocket park, or what's left of it, a new start.

I won't be around on dedication day, but hope to see by the spring.

A brief press announcement about the festivities:

<a href="http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040928005689&newsLang=en" target="_blank">http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...689&newsLang=en</a>

Now if we could just bring the Sinclair dinosaurs back !!!!!! What a great addition to the Hall of Science they would make.

Im Back, nice little party.

Watch CBS new here in NYC (NY-1)they were covering it.

They gave who I think it was actress Daryl Hannah a NY Times Reporter and myself acress into the great hall !!!

Im trying to get some pix up.

-Joe

PIX From today:

All Photo Credit's Joe Lancia

1.JPG

YES THOSE ARE REAL ENGINES,PUMPS and GIMBOLS !

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Rocket Solute

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

-Joe

RAW 300K images available