Sign in to follow this  
expo66

Rocket Thrower in Orlando

Hi Jake-

I remember reading, I think in the WFCS "Fair News" that that was the artist's final casting before the real one was created for the Fair (and of course the Park!). That process where sculpters make models bigger and bigger and refine as they go.

-Rich

Hello Rich,

The size of the Orlando R-T was about two-thirds smaller than the one at FM. As it stood on a marble foundation it began about six feet from the ground and certainly provides easy access to the touch with little effort. I believe the one in F.M. is at least fifteen feet up and has a far more muscular "model".

Jake

Great! Take Pictures??

There's another statue made for the Fair by D. DeLue that also stands in FMCP park today.

Which? cool.gif

Yes, I took pictures...NYS pavilion at Universal's MIB was also a rush....Would the other DeLue sculpture be at the Boy Scouts Pavillion????

Yup.

DeLue's other statue in FMCP is George Washington, Mason. (I believe that is the title) An 8 - 10 foot George decked in full Masonic regalia on an inscribed 6 foot pink marble base.

Ken? Where does he stand in the Park?

George is 100% in favor of saving the NYS!!

rolleyes.gif

Seriously folks, the best way to describe where he stands in the Park today is to talk in terms of 1964 (although I believe he is marked in the current FMCP Park Map)

George was left in the approximate area of the 64 Masonic Pavilion. Very approximate.

I have paced the area off and can tell you George is in the middle of what was the LUNAR FOUNTAIN. For years one could see the large circular patch of sod. In the last year the statue was fine polished and placed on a round planted mound with a concrete rim with a new perimeter walkway and benches.

short answer: George is in the middle of nowhere @ FMCP - between the USTA and the Fountains of the Fairs