Sign in to follow this  
lotsaoldstuff

The Amphitheatre

The Home of the 1939 Billy Rose Aquacade,and I believe The Florida Pavillion during the 64 Fair.Living in Queens I attended the Fair Regularly in 64/65.Great Memories of the Lake Amusement Area.After the close of the Fair,They had Regular Water Shows there as I remember My dad taking us there and watching the High Divers,Clowns,etc.When they no longer had shows there,it was used as a Public Pool through the 1980s.I can remember walking past it then and remarking how much was still there from its 39/64 Fair Days.The Art Deco Wall Sconces were still attached to its massive columns,the large 1939 Dedication Plaque was still affixed to the side of the Building and then it happened.........The Dramatic Rise in scrap metal prices and in a Flash all of that disappeared,along with any other salvageable items.They closed the pool and the structure was useless through the mid 90s.I would walk inside and stand in the aisle and just "Feel" 1964 all over again.The politicians had it demolished saying it was unsafe when it was as solid as a rock.

Demolition was a tear jerker.They just drove a Bulldozer through the seating area plowing up row after row of seats.The massive art deco clock atop the center Tower was yanked down and crushed.People retrieved some Bricks.I was fortunate enough to get a Complete Seat and some seat remnants.I still remember the sight of people crying as the last of the debris was carted away.

I too have fond memories of that building; it was my castle in the sky. Set out at the end of large lake bordered by an equally large meadow was my castle, its towers lit with many colors. Such is my childhood memory back in 1956.