Flushing Meadows Corona Park

Queens, NY 11368-3398

T: 718.592.9700 F: 718.592.5778

http://www.queensmuseum.org

THE QUEENS MUSEUM OF ART CELEBRATES THE

40TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE 1964/65 WORLD’S FAIR WITH

THE SEEING EYE: ART AND INDUSTRY AT THE 1964/65 NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR

OPENING RECEPTION: Sunday, July 18, 3-6 pm

In celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the 1964 World’s Fair, the Queens Museum of Art presents The Seeing Eye: Art and Industry at the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair (July 18 – October 24, 2004), a retrospective focused on the convergence of art and corporate sponsorship in Fair Pavilions. Kodak sponsored one of the most artistically important displays at the Fair - 121 exhibition prints by noted artists including Ansel Adams, Richard Avedon, Cornell Capa, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Elliott Erwitt, Yousuf Karsh, Dorothea Lange, and Irving Penn, originally shown as Photography as Fine Art: Museum Directors' Selections for the 1965 World's Fair. This exhibition, intended to elevate photography's recognition as fine art, is the core of The Seeing Eye. Models, films, documentary pieces and other works of art associated with the Kodak Pavilion, and the World's Fair as a whole, provide context and reveal the exciting interplay between art and industry that existed, uncovering a crucial element in photography’s ascendancy to the realm of fine art.

The Seeing Eye is curated by BBQ Productions’ Terri Marlowe and Curtis Cates.

Hey anybody want to go as a group some saturday soon. Email the dates you have available and lets see what we can put together. Right now July 24th or 31st. or Aug21 is good for me. Lets hear from you Steve.

Hey anybody want to go as a group some saturday soon. Email the dates you have available and lets see what we can put together. Right now  July 24th or 31st. or Aug21 is good for me. Lets hear from you Steve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

31st looks good to me...who else is in?

Curtis, I would love to come and support you and your work as I always have in the past. Alas, I am now locked within the perimeter of Atlanta (self-imposed exile) until the rabbits go crazy in 05.

I am 855 miles from Flushing Meadows Corona Park, I did a map search for the distance and seeing how I did not have an address for the QMA, I did a general search for Queens New York.

What was surprising to me was that the end location MapQuest gave me was for the intersection of Main Street and Jewel Avenue, is that the <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->center of Queens<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->? If so, it is also the center of my childhood and teen years, as I spent many a night on that corner with my peers.

I'm there Steve! ...Who else will come?? I've gotten a call from someone associated with the exhibit (not Curtis - not Terri ---can't say more), asking when the next group of PTU-ers might be visiting the QMA. The person would like to plan to be there for some continued work on the displays.

So we got "scrock30", "yessong" and "da'Bench"...who else for this Saturday??

Hi All,

I'm planning to stop by on saturday.

I'm going to start out around 11am at Queens Zoo.

I have free admission for myself and 3 guests (let me know if you want to join me).

I figure to spend approx. 30-45 mins. checking out zoo and aviary dome.

Then a quick bite (at Hertz?) and on to the museum.

Let me know your schedules.

......Gary

Folks, how 'bout a complete report on the exhibit, once you've seen it?

Pretty please?!

And, I would humbly suggest a donation, to show the higher-ups that this kind of exhibit is popular and desirable. We have a chance to send a little message here.....

Just so everybody knows... we still have over 900 slides to go into the show. We hope to have them up and running on the projector on Sunday, but it probably won't be until next week. We are playing second fiddle to the Shea show.

Can't wait to get some feedback on the show! Hope you like it. QMA gave us about 2 weeks to put it together! If you like the show.. let them know! Please! The new director is Fair friendly and good things could come out of good words.

As always - we GREATLY appreciate your continued support of our Fair efforts to let people know of this amazing event.

Curtis and Terri

OK, all,

I have to be at the NY Jets Training camp at 9am on Sat and expect to stay till 12noon-ish - so I'm thinking about getting to the park around 1pm.

What say we agree to meet at the museums entrance at 1:15p-1:30 on Sat?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to be at the NY Jets Training camp at 9am on Sat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... and I'll be at the Patriots training camp at the same time!

Hi folks! I haven't seen you all since that great Saturday in the Park this year. Terrific event and thanks for making me welcome into your band of brothers (and sisters).

I'll be there tomorrow 7/31 to say hi again and enjoy the photography show. Meeting Gary over at the zoo for an early visit to the Aviary dome. Hey, let's take a stroll to the Lemon Ice King afterwards.

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Hello Denise! Welcome to PTU!

It looks like the balance of male to female is beginning to shift, gentlemen. (We, however, are still far in the minority.)

I was also wondering about a catalog. I am hoping one might be available for order for those of us who live out of the area. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I live in the Mid-Wilshire section of Los Angeles, between the Los Angeles County Museum and the Grove. I grew up in the east, however, and one of the defining moments of my life, was my first trip to the 64/65 World's Fair. It actually set my taste for my life, with a love for all things Space Age and Mid-Century Modern. I'm a voracious collector of items from the World's Fair. Thank god for Ebay! Often, when I look at the photos, postcards and brochures of the fair, I get a sad feeling that something so wonderful is gone. I'm happy I was able to be a small part of it.

Denise

Nice to hear from a neighbor, Denise. I'm up in the San Fernando Valley. A few of us are talking about a local get together and if any thing develops I'll let you know.

I would appreciate receiving any information about a get-together in the Los Angeles area. Thanks, Bill.

Thank you for the greeting, Rose. I am thrilled to have found this wonderful web site.

Denise

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I'm glad your here, Denise.

I love this place, too. Before I found PTU, I thought I was the only person who continued to think about the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. I was very wrong and I'm very happy that I was.

Keep coming back.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->