Sign in to follow this  
Chas Aybar

Recent Night Pictures From Towers

Thanks to Bill Cotter's web search link recently posted (http://www.earthstation9.com/1964_new1.htm) about trivial Fair information, I had the opportunity to see these great recent NYS Pavilion pictures at night:

<a href="http://www.undercity.org/photos/wfs/wfs.htm" target="_blank">http://www.undercity.org/photos/wfs/wfs.htm</a>

I like the shots that show how to get up the upper tower. The stairs in the lower tower are still intact and useable.

This clearly shows the years of no maintenance to this great structure! What a shame...

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Even in it's ruin; NYS is still beautiful.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Wow - some pictures! I had heard how badly the stairs had rotted away, but as they say, a picture is worth a 1,000 words. It sure does take one heck of an effort to get up there, doesn't it? The picture of the Unisphere was really something.

Those pictures should be 1001 words. Absolutely amazing views of the park, yet sad not because of the towers state, but because of the "ghostly" remnants of the park at night.

Now I do have a few questions...

The lower tower was restored to an extent in the late 90s, so this must have included restoration of the stairs or completely new stairs?

Does this mean that the tallest tower's stairs did not crumble because of bird droppings, but because of the elements themself?

It seems that the smallest tower would be the easiet tower to finish restoring, and open to the public? I feel neutral on this issue, but does Charles or anyone else think this could happen, or would they not dare due to the two other towers looming overhead?

P.S. Charles, by looking at the state of the 'elevator to nowhere', I can't describe this other than, could the park depo still have it come down by electricity, or would they need to literally chop the cables and cause the elevator to come crashing down. I always felt it would make quite a contoversal museum piece in QMA. "Now kids lets see an example of what happens when the park depo doesn't take care of things."

The lower tower NEVER had ANY structural rehabilitation work done to it (not even in the 1990's)! The stairs are original and are in very fragile condition. REMEMBER, these structures received hardly any maintenance ever, and yellow paint was replaced twice (or maybe once?)on the exterior metal "rings" of the towers during the past 40 years (when the painting was performed it was simply slapped on without proper surface preparation--thus more corrosion) for cosmetics.

The only work that HAD to be performed in the 1990's was the undersiding of each tower, which is composed of concrete, was removed since a large mass of it fell onto the ground during at performance at QTIP, prompting immediate action.

Both elevators cannot be operated and must be removed on site without attempting to run it down the existing rails.

Had the metal staircase and other structural parts been cared for properly, including the elevators, the deterioration process would be eliminated or drastically slowed down.

The recent addition of the "blue globe" lighting was a nice touch, but the old (lighting) fixtures were not utilized on the towers, since they too were bad corroded.

I am surprised that the elevator cables have not broken loose yet...

Thank you for clearing that up. Something else I noticed. Not only were the lights off in that picture. (Certainly they could be off at any given night), but I have seen pictures somewhere in this present year that show considerable gaps between broken and working bulbs. "When someone cared..."

And like you have said before, it's not even safe enough for parks depo employes to risk their life just to go up and replace the red bulb.

Does the "grappling hook" in the picture become standard issue equipment for SNIPs (Saturday Nights In the Park) ?

Where is Spiderman when we need him?

I thought people might enjoy a little "now and then" comparison. I did some enhancing of the shots on the page and present the results for your entertainment:

THEN

nys-observation.jpg

NOW

nywf-observation-now.jpg

THEN

nywf-unisphere-from-ny.jpg

NOW

nywf-unisphere-from-ny-now.jpg

That's just great stuff, Bill. Thanks!

Did you try overlaying and resizing them to match for a morph?

How do they match up? That would be fun.

GoodJob Bill!

Im glad to see these hard to get aerial views.Boy..you can sure tell were everything used to be.We ought to thank them for doing a great challenge.

Has anyone checked out the pictures of the George Washington Bridge?

Dave

What beautiful photographs! And thanks for the comparison post of then and now. Notice how even walkways changed in then vs now.

When I was a kid I would take my maps of the '39 and '64 fair and compare for hours.

Thanks so much. This is Eye candy to me.

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I checked out the "urban archaeologists" site thoroughly, G.S.. His photos are stunning, and stories unnerving. He seams to be part of a "society" of explorers that visit abandoned and "secret" sites. If you follow his links you'll discover a world of abandoned sites and haunting ruins. Scary but fascinating stuff.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Those pictures actually sent chills up my spine - very ethereal, unreal, and very moving. So sad that only thru the eyes of a few of us can we see the splendor in Flushing Meadow that once was.

Gary.

The images are obviously frozen in time.Another good example would be the parachute jump in Coney Island.A timeless image waiting to tell a story.A reminder of an event that indeed did happen a long long time ago.

Regards,Dave

What is that by Photo number 7? I was there last November, but only had time to snap a couple of

photos. I remember thinking th ere were two tall towers and one of them must have collaspedon

the other one.

By the way, why don't they send out replies anymore? I see this is a new site.

Those images blow my mind especially the daytime "Then and Now" shots. They are awesome and for what it is worth, they should be submitted to American Heritage Magazine which has, at times, published "Then and Now" photographs. They are, as Rose states, an example of modern and/or urban archaeology and the quality of the images is outstading. This site and its members never cease to amaze me.

Those images blow my mind especially the daytime "Then and Now" shots.  They are awesome and for what it is worth, they should be submitted to American Heritage Magazine which has, at times, published "Then and Now" photographs.  They are, as Rose states, an example of modern and/or urban archaeology and the quality of the images is outstading.  This site and its members never cease to amaze me.

I agree Jim.Someone will have to get permission from the organization first.I believe someone should invite those guys at underground Org over here to view this website.I assume they gave bill the go to paste them over here already.

Regards,Dave