Sign in to follow this  
Rose

Bankrupt Food/morman Pavilion Question

I have a question.

I came upon the below statements while perusing the net for all things NYWF 64-65.

"Poised to become a true international faith in the early 1960s (global membership reached 2 million in 1962), the Church chose to enter an exhibit in the 1964 World’s Fair in Queens. Church leaders were at first disappointed in the location they were allotted, an obscure spot that would be buried behind a large food pavilion sprawling just inside the main gates. But when the sponsors of the food pavilion went bankrupt, the Church pavilion emerged as the first exhibit to be seen by main-entrance visitors, many of them stepping right off the subway. The Mormon Pavilion itself, housing displays, audiovisual presentations, and a film produced exclusively for the fair, rose as a replica of the imposing three-spired east facade of the famous temple in Salt Lake City.

An estimated three million visitors toured the exhibit over the next 18 months, producing an enormous lift in recognition for the Church, and as many as 2,000 converts. Continued growth raised Church membership in New York state to 26,000 in 1980, 40,000 in 1990, and approximately 61,000 in 2000."

What food pavilion was the author referring to? On my fair map I note a Brass Rail near by the Morman pavillion. I note the House of Good Taste preceding the Mormon pavilion by the Gotham plaza. There appears to be an empty lot near the Mormon pavilion. Was the aforementioned food pavilion meant for that "empty spot" ?

A cool thing you can do is include a link to the search.

Show us everything posted containing the <a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=6be250bfdd3e0ad652efcf5a40685af8&search_in=posts&result_type=posts&highlite=world+of+food" target="_blank">World of Food</a>.

And there it all is.

(Still working on those broken images. New posts with images work and old posts with images are broken. Very frustrating.)

Marc

• Like 1

Yep, if you look at your map, you'll see an empty corner lot between Mormon Church and the main entrance ramps. That's where WOF was to be.

Thank you all.

Very nifty "search/link in the thread" feature, Marc. I'm impressed.