Sign in to follow this  
Rose

The price of Gas

I "gassed up" (and no, Randy I wasn't eating Mexican food ) this morning at the area low of $2.09 reg. medium unleaded. (The particular station visited always has the same price for both regular and medium unleaded.). The average price remains, here, at $2.11 for reg. unleaded.

I remember very well the low pricing in the late 90's. Just prior to my move to MI in 1999; gas prices were often under a dollar in MA.

I do think that conservation is well taught. I've spoken to many people lately about the gas crises in the 1970's. Most of those people, who are younger than myself, have no recollection or awareness of the crisis. They look dumbfounded when confronted by the facts of gas rationing, and long lines at pumps.

Here in rural MI; four wheel drive vehicles are well needed. None the less, huge suv's and Godzilla sized trucks seam like overkill even in a good sized snow fall or on a gravel road. Most people with large Suv's and near monster truck's have no practical purpose in owning them. They own them for the look or "feel" of the vehicle.

I think that we need to go back to what we were learning during the energy crises. We need to look at alternative forms of energy, drive more practical vehicles, and learn in general to conserve.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do think that conservation is well taught.  I've spoken to many people lately about the gas crises in the 1970's.  Most of those people,  who are younger than myself, have no recollection or awareness of the crisis.  They look dumbfounded when confronted by the facts of gas rationing, and long lines at pumps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember.It was 1974.I had a 1969 Chevelle SS 396.I was using Sunoco 240 and 260.The station that I used would only sell to regular customers.You had to have a half a tank or less before they would allow you to fill.A friend of mine had a switch under the dash to disable the gas gage.He always had a full tank

Can I say where is that gasahol?

Regards,Dave

Besides a gas eating Jeep Cherokee, I own one of these:

<a href="http://www.monstermotorscooter.com/gallery/gallery1-12.gif" target="_blank">http://www.monstermotorscooter.com/gallery...gallery1-12.gif</a>

It requires no license, goes up a 35% incline, max. speed is 25 mph, makes no noise, no smoke, no oil change and costs about seven cents worth of electricity to charge the battery for a a trip of 14 miles. They even let me drive into stores and public buildings, no problem.

Whenever I use it around the city, people stop me to ask questions.

Everybody should own one just for the fun alone.

I was in grade school during the late 70s and early 80s and all of my teachers talked about the importance of conservation: turning off lights, not always flushing the toilet and not letting the faucet run while brushing teeth. One of the teachers at my school even gave an all-class presentation on the house she was building that used solar thermal mass to help keep the house warm and cut energy use.

1974, 1982 and 1984 all had relevant themes: environment, energy and water and 1986 covered transportation.

I remember driving from Oregon to the 1982 world's fair and how my parents complained about gas prices.

My teachers taught conservation also. Many of my contemporaries and I took my teachers words quite seriously. We tried to conserve in whatever ways we could. ( Many of us still do.) Others of my school mates let the words fall away, along with the abbreviated use of the metric system.

I am in a new addition to my high school. The lights are designed to turn off after two minutes if there is no motion in the room. And there are two banks of lights--one set is designed to use little energy. THe windows are double pane and energy conserving as well. It is a positive step.

$2.11 for 91 octane. Was $2.10 last time. Price seems to be holding a bit. How about in your areas?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->$2.39 about average for regular in my part of Los Angeles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bill,What are they getting for 100LL avgas now?

Dave

It's back down to $2.11 here. I had to fill up the car on Saturday, and prices then were at $2.17 per gallon reg. unleaded.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Varies, but about $3.50<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok..I had a friend that used to own and fly a 172 .We used to go everywhere in florida.The last time I was up was in 1992 and it was around $1.80 then

Dave

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's back down to $2.11 here.  I had to fill up the car on Saturday, and prices then were at $2.17 per gallon reg. unleaded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rose, it's down to $1.92 in Toledo, just over the border from you. It's funny how important that border can be when it comes to gas prices.

For those of you "up that way", do you get any price break by crossing the border into Canada? Just wondered if it's like prescription drugs.

If only it didn't take a good part of my fuel to drive to Ohio and back! Any price under $2.00, now seams like a bargain.

I'm in the thumb, Jim. About four hours there and back.

My biggest weakness (of many) is math.

I live about fifteen minutes from Sarnia, Ont. Canada. I can tell you that current prices run from 82.9 per liter (dirt cheap) to 91.9 per liter. (Expensive.)

High gas prices seam ironic to locals in Sarnia. They serve as host to the Oil industry. A good part of Sarnia is called "Chemical Valley". (It completely surrounds the Aamjiwnaang first nation reserve.) Many refineries are in Sarnia and it is not far from Petrolia, or Oil Springs, Ont.. Petrolia, we are told, is the home of the first discovery of oil in North America. Sarnia is, for some reason, often seeing Ontario high gas prices.

Sounds like Southern California. Plenty of refineries, but makes no difference when it comes to prices.

For years the Mobil refinery in Torrance has had a 'flagship' station right on the corner of their refinery property, where a major boulevard runs past. It has prices that are some of the highest in the area. Funny, one day I was driving to Torrance when I was dating my wife-to-be (she grew up in Torrance- can't beat those 'California Girls' as the Beach Boys used to say; and a UCLA coed as well). Anyway, on the way there I was cruising down the freeway and pulled behind a gas tanker truck with its polished alumnum tank 'riding low' like it was full. Eventually it exited the freeway at the same exit I was taking and I followed it a bit further, until it pulled in to that flagship station to 'unload'!

Turns out the location there "at" the refinery is just a hoax- you're not getting a 'direct pipe' from the refinery or anything. In fact, they're trucking in the gas from somewhere else!

[more than likely they load it into the truck at that same refinery and drive it around for a few hours to jack up an excuse for their labor costs, and THEN bring it back to the service station and unload it....

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> 

I live about fifteen minutes from Sarnia, Ont. Canada.  I can tell you that current prices run from 82.9 per liter (dirt cheap) to 91.9 per liter. (Expensive.)  <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You won't save any money by buying gas in Canada. 82.9 CDN per liter = $2.28 US per gallon and 91.9 CDN per liter = $2.53 US per gallon. However, this is still a lot cheaper than the $4 -$6 dollars per gallon that Europeans reportedly pay.

Mobil and Exxon are highest priced here north of Boston.

Tonight a Mobil station right on the MA-NH border was $2.17 for regular. Right next door is a Hess station at $2.03.

At the moment that I drove by, there were 4 cars at the $2.17 pumps and one car at the Hess $2.03 pumps. Go figure.

Sunoco used to be the expensive gas but not anymore. Getty also is in the lower price range now and they used to be on the high side. There's a no-name station a just a mile from the $2.17 that's at $1.99.

paid $2.02 for 91 octane here in OK this week. That's the highest in months.

Two weeks ago it was $1.79 for the same fuel here (My Maxima is pretty good on gas), and the next day I arrived in Dallas and it was $1.99 there.