Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Humor Photo for Sunday Night

Another heat wave- it hit 105 in my back yard this afternoon- so this May 1965 photo of the World's Fair Log Flume ride certainly looks refreshing.

Then I looked a little closer at the girl in the front seat- there seems to be an extra set of arms sticking up! Did somebody slip down into the bow of the log?

Flume-1.jpg

A closer look revealed the answer- a second girl in back of the prominent gal, with her head laid down like a mink stole.

Flume-2.jpg

Does it strike anybody as odd in 1965 that two couples out on a double date would choose to let the 2 guys ride in the back and the 2 gals in front (to take the brunt of the splash)-

The trick that I learned when I was a teenager a few years later was if you were in the front of the log, when the big splash comes you suddenly duck down and put your head against your knees, and the person in back gets wiped out with the water- - -

Maybe that's why the gal in front is dying with laughter while the guys in back are wondering how they got so soaked!

By the way, what is that junkyard of carnival-ride cars (with three steering wheels each) in the upper right of the full photo?

Randy,

Thank for the awesome picture. I have been an avid reader of this site for quite a while, and while I was too young to have gone to the fair, I find everyone's rememberances of this wonderful event to be truly joyful and bittersweet at the same time. I am always amazed at how everyone dressed "back in the day". It wasn't ripped jeans or t-shirts and shorts when they were out for an event. Everyone looked clean and dressed for an outing in public. Do we just not care today about our appearances?

Again, great photo. The fun they are having is so contagious, I can't help but smile! Thanks!

Aren't those paddle boats?

Sure thing, Larry. I could wear jeans & sneakers only at home playing.

Leather shoes, dressier pants and a collared shirt was the order of the day when "out". Hense, mom loved the "new" wash-&-wear fabrics of the 60's. No ironing.

Today, I wear jeans almost everywhere. CDSS. (Clothing Delayed Stress Syndrome)

As far as the kiddy-car junkyard (or maybe "storage area" as they don't look exactly beat up), my first thought was the kiddy car ride over at the New York State Pavilion on their mezzanine (as unlikely as it would seem that the New York State people would have a storage area over the Meadow Lake bridge next to the Log Flume).

But I went looking for photos to compare and found this Bill Cotter one, where the cars are obviously different, with just two steering wheels instead of three...

NY_Cars.jpg

Bill Cotter photo

Once gain the thermometer hit 105 today.

Do you think I can build a log flume in my back yard?

There'd be a line of neighborhood kids around the block!

Randy

Today it was an unheard of 103 degrees in Pasadena. Dogs were walking in the shadow of other dogs. (Thanks, Henny, wherever you are!).

I spent over four hours at the double feature, air conditioned, three dollar for seniors matinee theater nearby. I then ducked into the air conditioned mall for three more hours of fake shopping. What's it gonna be like when summer hits?

Randy,

The "before and after" shots from the Log Flume are great!

And thank you for quoting me so I could find the typo in my previous post! I'll get over it. Thanks again!

Randy, I love ya... thanks.

Hey, did you notice the dotted line on the "road" there at NYS next to the kiddie car ride! We talked about the Safe Driver certificates they gave out there, but we've never seen the "road" until now.

I did some searches but can't find the thread about the junior driver certifictes. Randy, go to it, buddy. I know YOU can find it!

Delirious all right- when the thermometer holds at triple digits in April and May, we can't be held responsible for our actions.

Belgian Waffles for everybody- Bill is buying!

Here is the previous thread on the topic of the certificates-

<a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1916" target="_blank">http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/v...opic.php?t=1916</a>

Thanks for digging up that thread!

Notice that the kiddie cars have grilles similar to a BMW. Also look at the cloth covering the kiddie ride mechanism... looks like my mother-in-law's dining room wallpaper... it's usually a solid color canvas.

We are at the opposite end of the spectrum here in Michigan.

Last night the temperatures dipped below freezing. I awoke to temperatures in the mid thirties. It's currently 45 F.

Late April and May have seen below normal temperatures here in the "thumb" of MI. The last two Sundays saw snow flurries in my neighborhood!

I wish I could send you just a bit of our cool weather, Randy, Bill and Ray (and all you others out in California.)

Could those junked kiddie cars be from the amusement arcade that opened in the abandoned circus tent or was it Texas in 1965?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish I could send you just a bit of our cool weather, Randy, Bill and Ray (and all you others out in California.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Rose, I think it worked!

Today the high here was just 84 (21 degrees cooler than yesterday)- and it's now started to drop back down from that at 2:30pm (down to 81 now).

Woo hoo!

Randy

Flume-1.jpg

I tracked down this "oldie but goodie" topic to see if the 'junked' car might be one of the Avis cars, like we discovered this week on eBay.

No dice.

I notice now that the junked one next to the log flume has three steering wheels.

The kiddie cars at the New York State Pavilion had two steering wheels.

The Avis go karts at the Pan American Highway Gardens had just one steering wheel.

We'll track down the three-wheelers yet!

I can tell you this though, Randy... now that I've seen that pic of the NYWF log flume... I would almost guarantee it's the exact same logs they used to run at the now (sadly) defunct Bell's Amusement Park in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Will try to track down a good close-up photo of one of them... this is the best I can do now, shielded by splash down.

main.php.jpg[/attachment:96cbf]

In case you missed the start of this topic a few years ago, that's not a mink stole being worn by the gal in the front seat of the log. It's a 4th person!

A double date, no doubt. But perhaps not too serious, since the boys sat together, and the girls sat together. What fun is that? uh, never mind. It was 1965 after all.

Those are thae same logs most of the older Log Rides had, aren't they, Trey? They look just like the ones at Lake George, NY

Am I wrong. or doesn't that look like the one they're about to tear down in Astroland?

logflume3.jpg

logflume.jpg

logflume2.jpg

Flume-1.jpg

.... what is that junkyard of carnival-ride cars (with three steering wheels each) in the upper right of the full photo?

2006 Turnbridge Fair in Vermont

not only a similar car, but look at the vehicle behind it- almost a carbon copy of the orange vehicle in the photo above

812014983_6e04ecf79f_b.jpg