Sign in to follow this  
Chas Aybar

LETTER FROM THE COMMISSIONER ON THE FUTURE OF THE NYS PAV

First, I want to thank all of you for your continued support, letters and accolades in our quest in saving this structure. It has not been easy so say the least, and the following two letters explains it best:

Public Information-- :

January 2004

Dear Commissioner Benepe:

I am writing you because our proposal for the stabilization and re-adaptive use of your structure--New York State Pavilion, located at Flushing Meadows Corona Park, NY, is at a major crossroad and we need your commitment to proceed ahead.

Our ideas, culminating over 3 years of extensive research and due diligence, has not progressed ahead with your department. We have done our homework over these years, hiring some of the best engineers, Meyer Consulting Engineers, to review current structural analysis and future stability issues; conferring and obtaining the approval of the original architect (Mr. Philip Johnson and Alan Ritchie of Johnson / Ritchie Associates); hiring the finest attorneys to deal with our paper and legal requirements (Kramer, Levin & Associates); spending many meetings with your associates-Amy Freitag and Estelle Cooper; and presenting our project to the Borough President of Queens (both Claire Schulman and Helen Marshal) and their engineering staff; collaborating with NYC2012 Olympic Committee to have an interim solution for their possible usage of the structure; and finally, spending numerous hours with the former contractors, which after 40 years many of them were still in business, to research complete historical perspective.

My last conversation with Ms. Freitag this past fall, indicated to proceed ahead with fund raising activities on our own, and that we can have the facilities committed to our efforts until 2005. When given a sample fund raising letter for her approval in December, we have not had any response. Also, when asked for a formal approval letter to commit the pavilion for stabilization on our part, we again received no response.

We are open for ideas if you now consider the adaptive re-use phase as an Air & Space Museum concept not approachable. Remember our approach has always been tow phased; stabilize first, adaptive re-use second.

Commissioner Benepe, we have, very clearly, committed our own resources and talents to get the job done. We have several financial sources to assist in the stabilization issues, but we cannot move ahead with out your final approval in writing.

If it is your department's action, to keep the pavilion in a state of deterioration as it has been for over 35 years, and to not allow us to move ahead, we will simply just have to seek an alternative path to progress forward.

Please respond to this letter no later than February 12, 2004.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

FRANKIE CAMPIONE & CHARLES AYBAR

Response letter from the COMMISSIONER:

March 17, 2004

Dear Messrs. Campione and Aybar:

Thank you for your letter regarding the New York State Pavilion.

As you know, Parks shares your passion and commitment to this icon of the Queens skyline. We agree that the first vital step is its stabilzation but that ultimately, a new, stimulating function will be necessary to ensure the New York State Pavilion's existence for future generations.

To this end our Revenue Division will prepare a request for expressions of interest in offering bold new visions for the pavilion's long-term adaptive use. We encourage you to participate in this process by reponding to the request with your two-step vision for the pavilion. Our hope is that this public process will gain attention and momentum for the project, perhaps yielding additional partners and/or sources of support.

We appreciate your enduring commitment to helping us preserve this New York City landmark. We too are excited to see this project move forward.

Sincerely,

Adrian Benepe

NOW, I MUST ASK YOU FELLOW PTU'S AND THE PUBLIC, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Sounds like the old Stall-a-roo tactic is being played.

Good luck Charles.

Would it behoove you to have any historical status levied upon the structure to make it harder to demolish?

You must have enduring patience.

Sounds like the commission wants to give their friends and relatives a chance at this building.

Let me add- Any chance is a chance at saving it.

Sounds to me like "why waste money on stabilization if there's not a clear commitment toward re-use".

And trying to get commitments for not-for-profits or even corporate sponsor types for re-use can be very hard if there is no commitment toward stabilization to begin with.

A classic Catch 22.

I don't see this as all bad.

If the Parks dept gave an ok to any one scheme without evaluating others there would be howls of protest and inevitable delays from lawsuits. Witness what is going on upstate with the Erie Canal project, in case you're familiar with that. Government should not sole source any project like this, and indeed, there are laws about just such issues. Instead, having them issue an RFP and test the waters will let them bypass that hurdle. Now it may be that an award will go to someone else, which would be a shame, but anything that saves the pavilion is better than letting it rot (I hope, not knowing what someone may propose!) It may also be that all proposals are rejected.

In any event, I personally never saw the city giving a go-ahead to any one proposal without some major problems as a result.

Please keep us posted on what happens next and GOOD LUCK to you!!

Bill

Good Luck, Charles.

I see the glass as half full.

The commissioner seamed to open the possibility of your ideas. He seamed, at least on some level, motivated to keep NYS erect and usable. This is, undeniably, a good thing.

Your interests have my support and prayers.

Charles I wish you the best of luck. Could another option be to turn the NYS Pavilion into some type of large theater? The tent of tomorrow being converted into some sort of stage and theater, or exhibition hall? The towers as Observatories or... a VIP lounge

Guest GUEST

Hello all my name is Joe.

I was been an audio engineer at the Jones Beach theatre and worked in many halls on rock tours

I have an Idea:

The NYSP is perfect large concert events, if all else fails I may suggest sombody contact Clear Channel SFX entertainment division

<a href="http://cc.com/main.html" target="_blank">http://cc.com/main.html</a>

(yes they are a bunch of cutthroats who WILL go straight to the Mayor to attempt to cut you right out of the picture so be cairful).

Perhaps they can commit a 10 year lease and pitch in

(They put 200 million into the Jones Beach ampatheatre)

A roof and revolving stage in the center would have to be installed.

See the Westbury Music Fair floor plan, it about the same size and shape <a href="http://www.musicfair.com/index.cgi?page=seating" target="_blank">http://www.musicfair.com/index.cgi?page=seating</a>

This plan gives the Mayor more ammo to win his olympic games contract. Just roll away the stage and it could be used for anything, use the upper level for, follow spot operators, production and press.

-Joe

mailto:joe.amp@NOSPAMverizon.net. (remove "NOSPAM"

An idea that has been thrown out before, however, I can't see why Clear Channel would want, or need, another venue that would only compete for Acts/Audience that already patronize their many other venues in the NY/LI area.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An idea that has been thrown out before, however, I can't see why Clear Channel would want, or need, another venue that would only compete for Acts/Audience that already patronize their many other venues in the NY/LI area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And they had no intrest in re-opening Forest Hills which could be done with very little money conmpared to the cost of re-opening NYS.

The guy asked for ideas and his office should be swamped with ideas. Would contacting the media be of any benefit? A little public attention might help--a newspaper or television feature story on the pavilion. I would not simply assume this person is playing politics (although that could be true). He may actually wish to hear ideas. He did respond to the letter and that is a good sign. I like his statement about the pavilion being an important part of the Queens skyline. It sounds as if he does not want to see the structure forever lost.

PS: I saw an interview with Donald Trump on one of the news networks several days ago and he stated that he does not believe NYC will receive any Olympic bid (for a wide variety of political, social and economic reasons). Tying the pavilion's future to any Olympic bid may not be a good idea. If Trump is correct, and there is no bid, then the pavilion stands spurnned for another twenty years. It has to have a future all its own.

Thanks once again for your support on our concept.

It is interesting to note that the park's department, has had very few proposals in the past on this pavilion, which has been vacant since the mid 1970's. Further, all of them that did propose SOMETHING did not do their homework as we did (including independent geotechnical and structual reviews), and gain support from the original architects and contractors of the pavilion.

Most likely, the lack of regular maintenance on the derelict building has made it very unattractive to prospective tenants and developers. The studies that were commissioned by park's on the stability of the structure (1992 and in 1996) probably has been a turn off as well. One would think that park's would be extremely happy that we have been beating on their doors for three years with sponsors to save THEIR building and make it an asset to FMCP...lets talk about preserverance!

As mentioned in their (park's) letter to us, an open invitation is extended to all of those interested by means of a "letter of expression" for proposals. No matter what the ultimate decision is on any one proposal, we desire the pavilion be saved for future generations and put to good useage. I am certain that issuing the letter is allowing the public to have some say as well, which is to be expected.

Guest GUEST

I been told the floor (by and old guy peeling through the fence last year)the towers and floor are more or less sitting on wood pounded into mud, to fix this building you "May" have to destroy more then half of it.

No one has allowed a core samles to be drilled.

If it declared a unsafe emergency the state cuts NYC a $$$ big check to knock it down.

I smell some fat rats !

My question now is what’s holding this building together and what is exactly salvageable (certainly not the floor, I saw it and got sick to my stomach)

I'd Like to strangle old mayors Lindsay and Ed Koch, not to mention certain FMCP slobs using the tent to do oil changes for there junk cars.

There is a gate Nazi down there, he works storing stuff for theatre. I tryied to be nice but he's worse then Archie Bunker and George Jefferson put together.

Perhaps sombody can sell him to Hollywood, I dont know

Can sombody orginize at least a tour, even a hard hat tour ?Sombody at FMCP must be nice.

-Joe