Sign in to follow this  

The Beatles/NYWF/Shea Stadium

After 23 years, New York oldie station, WCBS has changed it’s format.

This shuts down the last home of the great 1960’s DJs from "WA-Beatles-C." and the “WMCA Good Guys”. The Always great Cousin Brucie and Harry Harrison will be missed.

Attached is a “New York Times” article describing Cousin Brucie warming up the crowd at Shea.

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/06/nyregion/06brucie.html" target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/06/nyregion/06brucie.html</a>

I believe the "Good Guys" were at the 1966 concert too. I remember a group of people from the station doing silly things on stage, maybe like a cheerleader type of cheer, in yellow sweatshirts with the Good Guys logo on the front. This was a long time ago so maybe its not an accurate memory. Brucie was there in '66 though, I think!

Here's a good site. Lots of fun airchecks from WMCA.

<a href="http://musicradio.computer.net/wmca/home.shtml" target="_blank">http://musicradio.computer.net/wmca/home.shtml</a>

<a href="http://64nywf65.20m.com/PA150110.JPG" target="_blank">http://64nywf65.20m.com/PA150110.JPG</a>

I once posted this before- my ticket stub and a small flyer from the concert (or it came with the tickets through mail order)

I had to take my teenage sisters to see the Beatles at Shea........my mother said that they could not go unless I went too. Since I was an employee at the Fair at the time, I did take my sisters to a Beatles concert at Shea........wow !!! I am so glad that my mom said that I MUST go. However, I thought that the Beatles arrived at Shea in a helicopter that landed right on the field. I know that was a long time ago. I'll have to ask my sisters (who are now in their 50's) and see what they remember. Was there more than one concert with the Beatles there during the Fair?

SeminoleLibby

Since the topic of the Chicago Columbian Expostiion came up in this discussion, as well as "Devil in the White City" (which was excellent), you might want to check out the link below. It's a site devoted to a documentary film about H.H. Holmes, the serial killer in the book.

Cheers,

Tom

<a href="http://www.hhholmesthefilm.com/" target="_blank">http://www.hhholmesthefilm.com/</a>

My mother was at the Beatles' Shea concert. She got a pair of box seat tickets because my grandfather was the client of some bigwig who hooked him up. . . it was some kind of sweetheart business premium. Anyway, my mother and her friend were about 16 years old and had two of the best seats in the house, but the screaming was so loud she was unable to hear a single note of music! People were pulling their hair out and fainting all over the stadium, some being taken away by medics.

My mother's now brother-in-law (they didn't know each other at the time obviously) jumped the fence at that concert and got chased all over the field and finally arrested if I remember the story correctly.

Stumbled across this topic by accident......A concert poster from the first Shea concert is available for purchase....Cost.....$ 135,000.00 ....If anyone is interested let me know...It's about $ 134.000.00 out of my range......

Returning to A Century of Progress, for years I’ve hear rumors that the Lima Temple is owned by OSU and in storage. Ring a bell with anyone?

Part of my most recent fascination with the 64 Worlds Fair not only has to do with the urgent situation of saving the New York State Pavilion but, being a huge Mets fan, a huge Beatles fan and a huge girl groups fan, and having older brothers and sisters I lived the 60's vicariously through, it seems to me that northern Queens was absolutely rockin in 1965 with the Mets at their new blue & orange home, the brave new world at the Worlds Fair (in vivid technicolor!!!!), the Beatles at Shea that August (which after an email to the Mets, I am shocked they have nothing planned to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of that concert. it basically ushered in the modern rock era!), plus you have the Shangri-La's busting out of their native Queens that year. A lot of synergy for sure!

Hi,

This is coming a bit late, to be sure, but they commemorated the 40th anniversary of the August 23, 1966 concert. "1964...The Tribute" were billed to play the brief set The Beatles played on 8/23/66 and in between innings. I went to the game last summer, all pumped up for the performance and the game against St. Louis (well, we won THAT one!). I saw no sign of the band at second base, which is where I expected them to be. Suddenly, my friend nudged me ad asked, "Why is the George guy wearing lederhosen?" I looked down near the area behind home plate, and sure enough, there were people in ethnic costume gathering. Then came the announcement that it was "Polish-American night," which further confused me and caused me to check my calendar 3 times as to the date.

Some rousing polka music ensued, I wondered if I was becoming prematurely senile, Mr. Met presented a birthday cake to Julio Franco, and finally, 1964 appeared in the stands in right field. Whew. I had my sanity, but it was touch and go there for a while! I think there's some video of them at the game on YouTube.

I also remember the controversy over Meigs Field and, I believe, the current Mayor Daley actually had the city make furrows in the runway to prevent aircraft from taking off or landing there any more (this may have been a year or so ago).

The runway at Meigs was LESS than 4,000 feet.

A few years ago United Airlines decided to donate a historic 727-100 to the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry. Normally such things would be flown in to O'Hare and trucked to the Museum- necessitating removing the wings, lifting power lines, tying up traffic, etc.

Instead, a United pilot volunteered to fly it into tiny Miegs.

Check out the video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks

How many of you attempted this feat in Microsoft Flight Simulator and failed? Well, it was proved possible.

For a totally IMpossible Flight Simulator feat (computers can be programmed to do ANYTHING)- watch this Antonov 225, with a Russian Space Shuttle bolted on top to boot!, taking OFF and landing at Miegs. RIdiculous.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IgBoJ52j5wM

Here is the real AN 225 taking off. Probably needs about a 30,000 foot runway. A monster of a plane though.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvCrNIrZgk

Reminds me of the second* most famous airline incident to occur in up here in the Northwest corner of the country...

Jet Lands on Short Runway at Wrong Oregon Airport

New York Times, August 13, 1962

A four engine jet with 88 persons on board landed at the wrong airport here today, skidding to a stop on a runway half as long as those normally used by large airliners. The United Airlines DC-8 from Chicago, Flight 861, touched down at Troutdale airport rather than Portland International, ten miles to the west, where it was scheduled to land. United called it a misinterpertation of landing instructions. None of the 81 passengers or seven crewmembers was injured. A passenger said the big jet slammed on it's brakes shortly after landing and skidded up to the edge of the 4,641 foot runway. The runway at Portland is 8,800 feet long.

I've been told that United had to basically rip out most of the plane's interior, and load it with a minimum amount of fuel in order to fly it out of Troutdale and on to PDX.

*Does anybody besides Marc remember the most famous?

The most famous airline incident in the Northwest is probably the guy who jumped out the back of a 727 with nothing but a parachute and a huge amount of money. D.B. Cooper- was that his name?

That United incident sounds like one with American Airlines in the early 1960s. The Air Force has recently closed Mitchel Field on Long Island as the runways were too short for modern fighters. The base was under caretaker status and a great spot to sneak into when I was growing up. One night a jetliner suddenly shows up, and they had to get the volunteer fire department to take people off via ladder. The pilot claimed he had mistaken it for JFK, which made no sense on several grounds, not the least being that JFK is on the water 20+ miles away and Mitchel was inland. Totally different runway configuration. He explained the lack of lights and radio by saying he thought they had a power failure. Turns out a month or two later another pilot ratted him out saying the guy had done it as a stunt. AA dumped him, but still needed to get the plane out of there. They had to gut it and get a test pilot to take it out with just enough fuel to go to (I think) MacArthur airport in Islip. It was odd to see the plane sitting there while they were trying to sort it out.

The most famous airline incident in the Northwest is probably the guy who jumped out the back of a 727 with nothing but a parachute and a huge amount of money. D.B. Cooper- was that his name?

Yes, that's the one - give that man a Cigar! He did it on Nov. 24, 1971 - and hardly a Thanksgiving goes by here where we don't see at least one story about it on the local news...

Good story too Bill - There's a similar rumor/urban legend about the Troutdale incident that says something to the effect that the pilot was close to the mandatory retirement age (so his career would be ending soon anyway), and his fellow flight crew members either dared or bet him that he couldn't land a DC-8 on the short runway at Troutdale...

Best Regards,

Kevin

here's one I like

You like that? Check out what they did with a CH-53- a big Sea Stallion-

These maneuvers are common with today's attack helicopters like the Apache, but not with the big boy copters.

That 405 video is great. Pretty impressive given that it wasn't a professional effort. There's a web site out there explaining how they made it = quite interesting.

This forum is so confusing. I'm not replying to Shea Stadium. Can you still get to the stairway?

I know I have maps of the place been there twice, I find it very creepy anyway with the lions

and the Egyptian cat. I'm lost . There isn't anyplace to reply but here?