Sign in to follow this  
Marc Williams

Moving Day Coming Soon!

I'm fresh from the wonderful world of the new PTU. The soon to be finished product looks great Marc. Easy reading, navigation and tons of extra's! I love it! Thank you.

Bill,

It's the message board I had planned on using without the portal software.

I like the portal software and I will use it some day but in the end it wasn't the best fit for PTU's needs. I'll let you know if I still feel that way in 2008.

I've changed your name on the new board. The board can be set to allow user name switching but since a feature like that can be abused I don't think I'll turn it on.

Maybe we could have a change your name day and allow members one day to make changes.

Marc and Bill, I find I cannot access anything but this forum. Have our passwords been changed? Is this temporary or am I doing something wrong?

I get this message when i try to read anything:

Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

I was able to log into the site but can't read anything.

So, Bill, are you insinuating that my mysterious, cryptic, moniker exudes an inhospitable air?

Then, by all means, Marc... give mine the more friendly Bill Cotter treatment, too!

Love the new site.

The direct private messaging will save a lot of hassle.

I messed with the "bold, italic, quote, etc." tools and they didn't work right for me. (probably my error). When I tried to make a word bold, it would only give me the command. I couldn't get it to insert the opening bold command. LOOKED easy... don't understand why it didn't work. (again, I guess it was me and not the forum. I'll try again another time.)

Not complaining.

I know that our late-night-wizards will have this thing singing in no time, and will help us simpletons get the hang of it.

The other thing I DO want to know right away is... what would the equivilent URL be to THIS one that I use a zillion times a day, now? <a href="http://www.nywf64.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=getdaily" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?a...action=getdaily</a>

Can't live without that bookmark!

[This message has been edited by DougSeed (edited 02-12-2004).]

Found this there at the bottom of the page, thought it was interesting:

"Our users have posted a total of 17764 articles

We have 261 registered users

The newest registered user is Cupaloy

In total there is 1 user online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests   [ Administrator ]   [ Moderator ]

Most users ever online was 20 on Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:50 am

Registered Users: DougSeed

[This message has been edited by DougSeed (edited 02-12-2004).]

I'll have to look into the access issue. There were only a few hiccups during the member conversion. I'm guessing it's a matter of resetting access privileges. I expected a few people might have problems because of the scale and complexity of the conversion.

I’ve also noticed a few posts out of place. I expected this as well. With the huge volume of posts I knew a few wouldn't be quite right.

I won’t make any more changes to user accounts on the test site. When the final conversion is done any changes would be lost. Once the new site is live just send me a change request and I’ll get it done.

Marc

The status message at the bottom is nice. It makes using the private message system very easy, but just so you know if you don't wish to be listed as being logged in to the board you can choose to be hidden in your profile.

Marc, do you kno the equivalent of this URL, yet?

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=getdaily" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?a...action=getdaily</a>

Doug,

Working on that. I know you have several options.

Liz,

I'll look into importing it into the new message board. UBB was difficult but the original message board has no support that I can find. Anything is possible. Any SQL database wizards out there want to write an import script? The archive that Bill has kept will stick around. We could move it to the new domain so it's not taking up space at nywf64.com.

Everyone,

The UBB uses 100 megabytes of storage space. The converted message board uses 25 megabytes. More room for growth. I expect the difference will be used for new features like member photo albums.

We have a gigabyte of storage to work with so there's plenty of wiggle room.

Actually I think I have about 3 gigabytes, but for probably 2/3 of that I don't have 'ownership rights' to put it on a public forum, except for single instance cases of limited exposure.

But much of those 'rights' is resident right here among PTU "residents"- so if everybody posted everything they have then yes- we'd probably need up around 10 gigs or so.... biggrin.gif

3 gig. Heh. Gulp. Well... storage is cheap I guess.

There will be restrictions on the size of images. What those end up being can be customized. We'll have to see how popular the feature is.

Doug,

You would use the View Posts Since Last Visit link that appears at the upper-right-hand-corner of the Index page.

The new message board keeps track of the posts you've read. When you use the link it will give you everything that's new since your last visit. You can also mark all unread posts as read. I guess that would be useful if there are topics you don't wish to read.

Everyone,

It's just about time to turn off the lights here at PTU UBB. Your feedback on the second test site has been very nice and I feel good making the switch. I'm going to close the board around 22:00 EST so the file transfer can begin. The new site will be available tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for helping out with the move. You've all been great and I'll see you at the new site.

Marc

Moving is always bitter sweet.

This place, and all of you, are wonderful.

I'll miss the old building.

I look forward to what may occur in our new home.

See you, old PTU, in my most pleasant of conversational memories.

[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 02-12-2004).]