Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

The World Famous PTU Holiday Thread

Unbelieveable!!

You guys looking for jobs?

I'm hiring.

That's some sweet Photoshop work, Bill and Randy, and cudos to the song writers, too!

[This message has been edited by DougSeed (edited 12-08-2003).]

"Back to work boys, no Christmas break

this year.

Mr. Moses is gonna' be real mad if we

don't get this snow cleared out before April!"

snowcar.jpg

This is a very entertaining thread. Thanx!

RE: "Vinnie, I wonder if your dad sent out anything greetings-wise to his franchisees at Christmas time?"

I don't know of a Christmas specific item but I do know that the parent company (Frank Mastro. Inc.) had calendars made each year. I have the last calendar (1965) hanging in my office. It is a print of Bari Italy (my grandfather's home town) on bamboo that could be rolled up like a scroll (it was made in Japan).

quote:

Originally posted by c318137:

...bring it on!
biggrin.gif

...between now and Christmas? You lurkers too...For instance, the annual notice that World's Fair Christmas music is now playing on K2US...

OKAY! The K2US ANNUAL Holiday Party will begin this weekend by 12/13 and will go through New Years!... December 18 marks K2US's 3rd year on the air, (or "Net", if you will). So let us try this Season for something NEW. ON TO THE FUTURE, eh?

K2US WILL BE TAKING TELEPHONE REQUESTS, DEDICATIONS AND GOOD WILL GREETINGS FROM YOU ALL - TO ALL THE PTU / K2US COMMUNITY !!!

santaoldphone.jpg

Yes! Step up and be heard! Recite your best Holiday prose. Send a shout out and dedicate a tune to someone we all know here. Tell a joke, or a great story, introduce yourself and share your best holiday and New Year Greeting!! Until we can meet again in Flushing, we'll have a K2US Holiday.

Contact us at: mailto:k2usinternetradio@earthlink.net

and find out how you can be featured on our Worlds Fair radio station this Season! (*)

Be Creative and Festive! Have Fun!

-Season's Greetings! -the K2US crew

(*)You will be directed to place a phone call to a New York City area phone number (at your expense) to record your K2US request, dedication or greeting. We will suggest that you request to play Holiday Music recorded at the NYWF (Coca-Cola Pavilion Christmas); NYWF Pavilion music or sounds; or a top radio hit of 1964 and 1965.

We will help you choose.

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 12-09-2003).]

Say Bench, just a suggestion, do you have anything from the 1964 albums listed below?

Beach Boys

beachboys64xmas.jpg

The Beatles

beatleschristmas2.jpg

Brenda Lee

brendalee64xmas2.jpg

Burl Ives

burlives64xmas.jpg

Doris Day

dorisday64xmas.jpg

NORAD

norad64xmas.gif

Tennessee Ernie Ford

TEF-StoryofChristmas.jpg

Bench, ya can't forget the best Christmas Album of all time, from exactly 40 years ago- Christmas '63- Phil Spector-produced, featuring the Ronettes, Darlene Love, The Crystals, Bob B.Soxx & The Bluejeans, etc.

za71.JPEG

Hello Randy,

Hello Randy,

Randy? I've been collecting Christmas on vinyl long before I started up with the NYWF vinyl and tape. The Phil Spector Christmas "Wall of Sound" album is a must-have (followed by the Stevie Wonder and Jackson 5 Christmases) in that genre.

And Randy? The K2US Library has the Beach Boys; Beatles; and Burl on the shelves.

Love to hear tracks from the Norad LP!

So Randy. And so Randy. What tracks would you like to be dedicated for who(m)???

Contact us at:

mailto:k2usinternetradio@earthlink.net

for the dial in request line.

Hi Rich,

Don't have the album myself, but funnily enough, you can hear five of the soundtracks from the LP "NORAD Tracks Santa" at the web site below.

Just click on the icon:

norad64xmas.gif

The Log Flume ride is put to good use between seasons:

shimerstartpc_big.jpg

hays4-man_big.jpg

Even now, 40 years later, you can still go for a ride yourself! :

http://www.candystand.com/games/cs_shock_csbs.htm

If you get a question about downloading current files you can probably answer "no"- at least it works for me!

FYI...

You CAN ride the bobsled run at Lake Placid! In the summer, they have 4-man sleds with WHEELS for training sled teams.

For a $20 donation to the US Olympic Team, you can go for the ride down the full bobsled track - with a professional driver and brakeman.

Yikes! It's FAST, BUMPY, and SCARRY!

And your brains squish into your throat on that last turn. Our run was just 5 seconds slower than the real track record (which, I know, is eons, in telemeter timing). Gives you an idea how good they go on wheels, though.

This is the track that was used in the 1980 Olympics.

A mile or so down the road, they were skijumping on Astroturf moistened with sprinklers! Amazing to watch.

If you can get up to Lake Placid, it's a great place to visit. Highly recommended.

Years ago when I was in college we heard that you could go down the Lake Placid run - this was on the real track with real sleds, no wheels. Some guys went and said it was incredible. We tried the next day and they had closed the prior night for the summer, as it was now too warm for the track. Graduated soon after and never been back in winter, but now that I know about the summer runs I will try it when next up that way for my next reunion. Doug, do you know if they still have winter runs for tourists?

Bill

Hey Bench lets not forget "Merry Chirstmas" by Johnny Mathis. A great album. Johnny has a wonderful voice for holiday songs. I think it came out in the late 60's.

Holy skyrockets, Cotterman... looks like you CAN!

For $25 bucks, you can even run the LUGE in the winter.

Be careful you don't get too much "bang for your buck"!

<a href="http://www.orda.org/verizoncomplex.htm#bobsledding" target="_blank">http://www.orda.org/verizoncomplex.htm#bobsledding</a>

I think I'll stick to the on-line bobsled game that I posted the url for.

The audio 'Oh no!' is as close to bone-jarring as I care to get biggrin.gif

At a Winter Sports show at the Convention Center (here in L.A.) a few years ago, they had a luge SIMULATOR.

The racer is surrounded by high definition convex screens which project the luge track flying past and as the person leans left or right (while angled down about 30 degrees) the images respond accordingly, even to the point of crashes. A fan blew cold air to simulate that feeling too.

There was a very long line to 'ride it'- especially popular with the teenagers.

I think they said they made all the film at the Salt Lake City luge facility.

"In a failed attempt to provide a 1964 winter World's Fair attraction,

Tommy Bartlett's Wisconsin: Harvest Of Ice extravaganza at the

Amphitheater closes after only one performance."

Music composed and provided by Da Yoopers.

aquacade.jpg

quote:

Originally posted by AMFMonorail:

closes after only one performance.

A pretty predictable outcome when the concession stand only had snow cones and popsicles and no hot chocolate! biggrin.gif

Also the porpoises borrowed from the Florida Pavilion between seasons had trouble blasting up through the ice to snatch fish out of the hands of the Eskimos.

"People arrive early in order to reserve a good spot in line for next years revised GM Futurama exhibit."

frozenpeople.jpg

Methinks some have been there a little too long! biggrin.gif

Time to get this thread started up again!

Everybody post a "Round Two" contribution - smile.gif

I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY

(Henry Wadsworth World'sFairFellow)

I heard the carillon on Christmas day

Its long forgotten songs at play,

And loud and fast the words they blast

Of Peace through Understanding.

I thought how, as the day was here,

The Fairground bells both far and near

Had tolled aloud for every crowd

But in dismay I bowed my head

"There is no peace on earth," I said,

"Bob Moses was wrong and mocks the song

Of Peace through Understanding"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:

"Moses is dead, but doesn't sleep;

The wrong will fail, the right prevail

With Peace through Understanding."

Till ringing, singing on its way

The Unisphere revolved from night to day,

A ditty, a rhyme, music sublime

It's getting near Christmas. Some of you may be leaving to visit loved ones. Others will be too busy, until after the holidays, to check this message board.

Without fireworks or poetic meter; I'd like to wish everyone a very happy and healthy Christmas Day. May you, and all you care about, be filled with the joy of Christmas. May blessings fall upon you, and all you love, on Christmas day, and all other days.

To those who do not celebrate Christmas; I wish to know that my best goes out to you on this day and everyday. May your each day be your very best.

Happy Holidays PTUers!!!!