Sign in to follow this  
Rose

4 degrees of Red Sox separation

In honor of last nights win: I've been trying my best to find some sort of confirmable fair reference to the Boston Red Sox. The best I can do for now:

richard Radatz, of the Boston Red Sox, threw in the 1964 All Star Game. The All Star game was held in Shea Stadium. Shea was built in conjunction with the 1964-65 world fair. One could, and many did, watch the all star game at the Singer bowl in the New York worlds fair.

(Frank Malzone and Eddie Bressoud, Red Sox both, were also a part of that game.)

Yes, it's a rather pathetic and distant link to the fair, but, a link none the less. (Let's not get into that other Shea Red Sox link. 86 was so far after the fair, after all. smile.gif

And in an even more distant link, Elston Howard, then a Yankee, but a future member of the 67 Red Sox, was also in that game. smile.gif

In addition to Elston, the other Yankees were Bobby Richardson, Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford and Joe Pepitone giving them a bigger tangential Fair connection then the Red Sox (as befitting the true champions!) smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eric Paddon:

And in an even more distant link, Elston Howard, then a Yankee, but a future member of the 67 Red Sox, was also in that game.
smile.gif

In addition to Elston, the other Yankees were Bobby Richardson, Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford and Joe Pepitone giving them a bigger tangential Fair connection then the Red Sox (as befitting the true champions!)
smile.gif

hmmm..interesting....

no Maris, Kubek, Stottlemeyer, Bouton, Bunning or Boyer on the all-star team?

Did Clete Boyer's brother Ken make the National League all-star team?

(they faced each other in the Series that year).

I remember a Sporting News issue during the '64 Series doing a photo spread comparing the Boyer brothers side-by-side, calling them both 'human vacuum cleaners' for their defensive play.

Who managed the American League all-star team in '64? Was it Yogi?

I was a Yankee fan about this time as a kid, and had the whole Yankee team memorized...

Let's see if I remember right- the Cards beat the Yankees in the '64 Series, so the Yankees fired their manager Yogi Berra and stole the Cards' manager Johnny Keane- as befitting Yankee modus operandi, right? biggrin.gif

In fact it's rumored that the Yankees had struck a deal with Keane long before the '64 post-season- before they knew they would be playing the Cards, let alone the Cards winning! The Yankees make it to the World Series, but Yogi's pink slip was already written before Game 1 even began! Now that's tough!

Yogi took a coaching job with the Mets, who were desperate enough in '65 that they brought Yogi out of a 2-year active player retirement to catch for them for a few games!

Now that's enough trivia to stump any of your friends!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c318137:

Now that's enough trivia to stump any of your friends!<HR></blockquote>

Ask the question this way-

"What Hall of Famer got hired as manager in the spring and led the team all the way to World Series Game 7, only to get fired because that wasn't good enough?"

Clue: 38 years later he was famous once again for saying "it won't hurt to miss work".

I remember Yogi for his being an advertising spokesman in the early 60's for Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink, where he would say "Yogi goes Meehee for Yoo-hoo".

I don't know, somehow Yogi's ears, grin and Yoo-Hoo went together. :D

Yogi.jpg

Stottlemyre hadn't even been called up from Richmond yet when the All Star Game took place in 64.

Yes, Ken Boyer was on the NL All Star team in 64. Also there as an NL player was Cardinal first baseman and future Yankee broadcaster Bill White.

Because Ralph Houk, who managed the Yankees to the pennant in 63 was no longer manager of the Yankees, the AL squad was managed by Al Lopez of the White Sox, who finished second in 1963. It's the manager himself who gets the honors of managing the next year's All Star Game, and if he's not managing any longer then it goes to who was second or runner-up in effect. (It is possible for him to manage the All Star team if he's managing for a different team the next year, as happened with Dusty Baker this year at the All Star Game and richard Williams in 1974)

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c318137:

no Maris, Kubek, Stottlemeyer, Bouton, Bunning or Boyer on the all-star team?

<HR></blockquote>

Bunning? Where the heck did I get that?

Of course I meant to ask about Yankee pitcher Al Downing who led the league in strikeouts in '64- later a broadcaster too.

I suspect the all-star game voters in '64 (the public didn't get a vote then) still had it in for black pitchers- Downing was the first Yankee black starter.

Of course Phillies great Jim Bunning WAS in the '64 All-Star game for the National League. The Yankees WISHED they had Bunning!

He threw a perfect game in '64.

More trivia: what is Al Downing most famous for?

Answer: Pitching for the Dodgers in '74, he served up the pitch that Hank Aaron parked in the left-center field stands to break Babe Ruth's all-time home run record (#715).

Downing, pitching for the Yankees, also served up a 6th inning grand slam homer to Ken Boyer in Game 4 of the '64 World Series.

In spite of these two infamous headlines, Downing had a very long solid career with the Yankees and the Dodgers (with very short stints with Oakland & Milwaukee in between N.Y. and L.A.) He was an ace pitcher with the Dodgers, becoming a 20-game winner as he matured.

If they hadn't gotten Ramos after the August 31 deadline, the Yankees win the WS over the Cardinals (because Berra wouldn't have used the inferior Pete Mikkelsen in relief) and maybe Berra keeps his job!

1965 was not a happy year to be a Yankee fan with that sudden and rapid collapse they went through. The problem was that Keane's presence was used as an excuse when in fact the team just got old and brittle overnight.

Indeed, and very appropriate with the real prospect of a Subway Series on the horizon (though the Mets pitching woes and Randy Johnson's bad back make it less of the sure thing the oddsmakers were putting it as a week ago).

They have not been no-hit by one pitcher in a game since Hoyt Wilhelm in 1958. I am hoping that trend continues (six Houston pitchers combined for one in 2003).

For those of you who don't know the heck what Eric and I are talking about, as we were typing, pitcher Daniel Cabrera of the lowly Baltimore Orioles carried a no-hitter past one out into the 9th inning, looking like he was cruising to a historical no-hitter against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. Then......a clean hit into left field.

.....followed by a double play to end the game. Yanks lose the game, but preserve their dignity, as Eric said.

My favorite baseball song.

<a href="http://www.thedeadballera.com/yankees.wav" target="_blank">http://www.thedeadballera.com/yankees.wav</a>

Very nice. I'd love to locate the version of Meet The Mets that Channel 9 used to play as the Met game intros in the 70's. It was kinda of a 60's style version with male and female voices on it.

Clete Boyer and his brother Ken were among those featured in this topic.

I saw in the paper that Clete Boyer died on Monday at age 70- brain hemmorhage, I think it said. Ken Boyer had died in 1982.

Boyer.jpg

Clete was the last of the Boyer brothers (Cloyd was a pitcher in the 50s). He was widely regarded as the second best defensive third baseman in baseball next to Brooks Robinson, but on the Yankee team of Mantle and Maris that tended to get lost in the shadows. And sadly not much film footage exists that shows how good he was other than the 61 WS highlight film.

After his playing days, Clete was a coach with the Yankees and Oakland at various points into the early 90s.

It's sad to see that so many of the players of the 50s-60s are leaving us since when I started as a fan in the mid-70s they would still be apt to play in the Old Timers game and look pretty good, while it was only the players from the 20s-40s who had to give it up.

Incredibly though, public address announcer Bob Sheppard keeps going strong at age 96.