Sign in to follow this  
yessong

Dreams

Well, last night I had another World's Fair dream but, instead of the usual "Strolling through the 1960's fair grounds", this was a press conference with someone speaking at a clear glass podium with the words, "New York World's Fair" inscribed on it. Perhaps a premonition??? - Only time will tell.

I hope it's a premonition.

Since visiting this board; I dream of the fair fairly often.

Of late my dreams have been about visiting Flushing meadows in it's current state. In these dreams; ParkBench is always leading a group of PTUer's through the park/fairgrounds. The PTU group is always stationed somewhere near the unisphere or the NYS pavilion. I always imagine that the Bill's (Young and Cotter), Randy (he who can find anything), Mike, and all the other regulars are there. I'm always in the distance. I'm always trying to catch up to the group.

I guess it illustrates quite well how much I'd love to know as much as the others on this board!

[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 08-20-2003).]

Ach, Roze, I vood lov to anylize zis dream vor you, but mein Wienerschnitzel iz done, and I vant to essen!

And we don't really know anything, we just found the Cliff Notes. biggrin.gif

psychiatrist_sleeping_during_session_lg_clr.gif

"See doc, I keep having these dreams about being unable to climb over the fence, and smelling Belgian waffles, and seeing Gilles dancers, and huge dinosaurs, and riding a ferris wheel inside a giant tire, and riding through dark tunnels in a Mustang convertible, and giant smoke rings rising into the sky, and a giant beam of bright light shining up into the night sky too, and an entire grandstand of people being lifted up into a big ball, and a big display board with lights going on and off showing people being born and dying, and a car engine that's as big as a house, and a model of the earth that's ten times as big as a house, and nearly being run over by a hot rod golf cart with a picture of a dog on it, and trying to fly away in a Jay-copter but not being able to escape, and driving a car into and out of a lake without getting wet, and standing right next to a fusion explosion and not getting hurt, and being able to put an irradiated dime in my pocket without getting burned...

...whaddaya think Doc, am I nuts?"

My 64-65 NYWFdream. I have had this dream since I was a child. I am running amuck in the fair grounds while it was totally vacant. The fair is vacant because it is closed. And I am there with my Dad and we are there to demolish the fair (gasp!).

The idea of having the park all to ourselves, no tourists, to have the buildings, their contents, at our mercy. Of course I would inspect each and every building, grab what I want from them and then Wham, bulldozer and wrecking ball!

I figure this dream stems from two main reasons. One of my dads best friends owned a small demolishing company (he demolished some old amusement parks in NJ and had many relics in his yard that he chose to keep), and the fact I read an article once where Walt Disney's visions were inspired by World's Fairs. I had read that his dad also worked on a demolishing crew that had demolished previous World's Fairs.

Now that my father has passed on I really enjoy this dream more than ever. I get to spend time with him and the fair is all mine!

------------------

Peace

[This message has been edited by RocketThrower (edited 08-20-2003).]

In his wonderful history of the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, "The Devil in the White City", author Erik Larson mentions Walt Disney's father, Elias, worked as part of the construction crew. Years later he filled Walt's head with tales of the "white city" he helped create outside Chicago. The Disney connection to World's Fairs goes back further than any of us could have imagined.....Bill.