Sign in to follow this  
Futurama

Entrances

I was curious of anyone had pics to post of the other entrances throughout the fair, besides the main entrance. I would be curious to see the Henry Hudson Entrance and the entrance that crosses over College Point Boulevard. I have never seen all the entrances as they looked during the fair.

Have a question was the Queens Botanical Graden built at the time of the fair or did it come later. Also what was located on the other side of ramp leading to the fair from college point boulevard. Were the parking spots under the vanwyck there during the fair and better yet where did everyone park then?????

Thanks.

here is a photo posted by billcotter, thanks bill.

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/000157.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/000157.html</a>

Hi, Futurama -

People who drove to the fair were expected to park at the two huge Meadow lake parking lots, Meadow Lake 1 and 2. My perimeter route bus made stops there and I announced Meadow lake 1 blue parking lot, or was it green? They had color designations - I think - it's so long ago now.

Also, I think, but am not sure, they might have had Greyhound shuttle buses at those big lots.

I remember one extremely chaotic evening (this subject came up here a couple of years ago) when very heavy evening thunder storms brought flooding to the big parking lots along with a mad rush of people to leave the fair on a crowded summer evening.

They gave me bullhorn and assigned me to crowd control at the Meadow Lake Parking Area (the one closest to the GCP). I was funneling the crowds into lines awaiting shuttle buses that brought them thru the flooded areas without getting their blue suede shoes and Hush Puppies wet (come to think of it, maybe the shuttle buses were only for that one night, to get people through the deep puddles...it tended to flood there).

It was extremely crowded and quite chaotic, but the crowds were well behaved. It was a totally different New York in 1964-65.

As for me, I used to park my motorcycle on the street, around the Chirping Chicken joint, and walk a few blocks to Gate Four, Greyhound gate.

Parking around the Chicken was free, and there wasn't a flooding problem - but don't go telling everyone about my secret parking spot, OK? - just in case they reopen the fair and offer me my old job back.

LL

LL

In the "Remembering the Future" book there is a picture of the lakeside parking with a Glide-A-Ride apparently providing shuttle service to the gate.

Larry,

Your secret is safe with me!!! But wasn't it called Chicken Delight then???? LOL

I was curious if those parking spots under the Van Wyck were there during the fair? It doens't seem that the spots around the lakes were sufficient. Was there also a parking lot where the current Terrace on the Park is, and hall of science, or was that only for Greyhound buses?? Questions, questions,questions!

Take car.

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 07-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 07-16-2002).]

I don't know the capacity of the lakeside parking but they were fairly large as the lake stretches a long way. There was additional parking many days at the Shea Stadium lots (aprox. 10000 spaces) and Flushing Airport, (then a private airfield now closed) was also used.

Gene - Yeah. I believe you are right. It must have been GlideARides running the pkg. lot shuttle service. I never drove those. Maybe they had the big buses only for that one night of the big flood and mass exodus from the fair, the night they took me off my regular route.

Futurama - Yeah, I think it was called the Chicken Delight. The day I went to the fair for the first time, while it was still being built, early in '64, I parked by that chicken joint and ate there. I liked it too. Nice and greasy.

The Terrace on the Park? That was there for the Fair. It was called the Top of The Fair then. Sometimes I used to go up and hang out.

There was no public parking spots by the Top of the Fair that I can recall. Maybe there was a slot or two for dignitaries.

Greyhound Pkg. lot was right by the Greyhound Bldg. Also, there was the main staging area for GAR's next to the Main gate, by the Singer Bowl. Was there another place where they stored the buses and had the mechanical work done? Don't know, I've forgotten.

It was a long time ago and some of my World fair memories are getting kinda hazy.

Gene - Yeah, those Meadow Lake parking lots were very large. They were, I believe, the only public parking areas. The majority of people came, by subway. If you look at any of the old photos of the Main Gate (Gate 1) subway ramp you cans see how crowded it was. The IRT subway exited right onto the ramp. Does it still do that?

LL

Yeah, Larry, the configuration of Willets Point station has changed somewhat since the Fair. The big wide exit at the very top of the ramp (for the express track) is usually closed, except for Mets games, I believe. Normally one uses the side ramp to reach the station.

It may be the Willet's Point station on the map but it will always be the World's Fair Station to me:

<a href="http://www.nycsubway.org/slides/r3336wf/r36-9744.jpg" target="_blank">www.nycsubway.org/slides/r3336wf/r36-9744.jpg</a>

The ramp exit is opened during the U.S. Tennis Open but usually not for Met games because the Shea Stadium crowd flows to/from the opposite side of the Station. There are passageways in the station that access the Passarelle boardwalk from either side of the usually closed gate on other days for FMCP visitors. These allow you to go from the Shea Stadium area to the boardwalk without having to pass through the subway turnstiles. The station also serves as a bridge for pedestrians over busy Roosevelt Ave.

Structurally, the station is pretty much unchanged from '64-'65 or for that matter except for some exterior changes made to give it that '60s look, '39-'40. The center track where the WF specials stopped is still used by rush hour express trains of the #7 Line. The waiting platforms were built much wider then your typical NYC subway station to accomodate World's Fair crowds. The unique '64 World's Fair era cars on the line, though, are rapidly being replaced by standard IRT '80s-era equipmment.

As for parking, the '64 guidebook shows a parking lot which looks like it begins under the Van Wyck Expwy just northeast of the Pool of Industry extending to Lawrence Street in Flushing (the Rodman Gate?) The main parking areas, however, were clearly by the lakes.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 07-18-2002).]

Gene, you're probably right about that Lawrence Street gate parking lot - or did you say Rodman Street - or was it Rodman Neck or something? Drat!

At each exit on the perimeter "rapid transit" bus route I used to announce over the bus PA system something like, Gate Four, Greyhound Pavilion, or gate Two, worlds fair marina, or... Gate Seven (it was gate seven wasn't it?), Lawrence Street...parking lot...? Or gate eight, rodman street (yes, it was STREET). But I've sort of forgotten what i said was at those dark and dreary gates 7 and 8 way back over there on the dismal nether-side of the Fair. (Decent folk never ventured that way, don't you know?)

Yeah, it might have been gate Eight, Rodman Street Parking Lot. I bet it was! There must have been a small parking lot back there where gangsters and people with stolen cars parked. Who knows. I've forgotten. I need to consult my old WF maps.

LL

Larry,

I'd believe you over any supposedly official World's Fair map anyday!

Gene

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 07-18-2002).]

Thanks guys for the 411.

Does anyone have a picture working at the fair? I would really like to see that!

Thanks.

I believe in my first trip to the fair in '64 we parked by the Meadow Lake Gate (5) near the Florida Pavilion. I know for sure we parked by the parking lot light tower labeled O29 (Orange circle and #29).

My sister and I have always joked about this since our parents wanted us to remember where we parked that day, and to this day we still can say in unison "Orange 29".

As kids, we had thought it was designated as orange since it was near Florida, probably coincidence?

Mitch, that's a cute story. I thought that the pkg. lots had colors - was the other one green?

I used to be an expert on all that stuff as every single person who got on my bus had a question to ask me - and even if they didn't have a question, they'd make one up just to annoy me! It was annoying at the time, but, of course, now I miss it.

Too bad I've forgotten all the answers.

Futurama - I posted the link to my one and only picture I have of me working at the Fair (slightly out of focus shot of me driving the GAR). It's attached to one of my old massages. I also scanned some WF paraphernalia to go with it. I could post the link again if anyone is interested, and if I can find it (I think I can).

Gene - Thank you, but your confidence in me is misplaced. You guys know far more about the Fair than I do.

Larry- Even though we went to the fair several times we only remember parking at orange 29.

Can one assume there were at least green, blue, red and yellow lots?

Could there be any photos of the parking areas out there somewhere?

I can tell you that with all our visits to Disneyworld with the kids, we probably only have one or two shots of them in the parking lots and thats because we were riding the Glid-a-Ride, oh, er, I mean tram cars.

Hi Futurama,

You had asked about the Queens Botanical

Garden in your original question at the bottom of the page.The garden

had its origin at the 1939 Worlds

Fair.I suspect it was much smaller than it is today.It then turned into a full scale

botanical garden and opened at its current

location in 196,prior to the 64 fair.It occupies 39 acres in the northeast corner of Flushing Meadows Corona Park.I believe there is a footbridge from the park in to the garden which crosses over College Point boulevard.I grew up in

Flushing and if I recall correctly,we used

to hang out on that bridge during Octoberfest

at the back of the Garden.I dont know if the bridge is still intact.For more info on the garden visit: <a href="http://www.queensnewyork.com/cultural/botanical./gardens.html" target="_blank">http://www.queensnewyork.com/cultural/bota...l./gardens.html</a>

The Queens Botanical Garden grew out of the "Gardens on Parade" exhibit (a 5 acre site) at the '39-'40 Fair. The Garden was established in 1946 elsewhere in FMCP on a 21 acre grounds (anyone know where?) and then relocated to its present, larger location to accomodate the '64-'65 Fair.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 07-30-2002).]

My apologies for my typo below.The garden opened in its current location in 1963.One

year prior to the opening of the fair.

Thanks Gene & CWB for the info. Interesting stuff!

[This message has been edited by Futurama (edited 07-30-2002).]

FWIW, I'm looking at a booklet entitled "Post Fair Plan -- Queens Zoological & Botanical Gardens", prepared by the Fair Corporation and dated Feb. 17, 1964.

QBG was moved in 1961 from the NE corner of the FGs along the Flushing River to the Kissena Corridor, just east of Lawrence St.

The post-Fair plan was to add a small, modern "open" zoo. I assume this never happened?

(Notice that this report, and I assume the planning too, was all done on the WF Corporation's dime!)

Mike,

The Zoo did in fact make it into the park. When the Park returned to public use in '67 , the Queens Zoo opened where the Chrysler Autofare had been located and where it remains today. I visited there in the early '70s and remember it as being a very nice, open area with mostly smaller animals but I also recall some Bison there. One of its structures, functioning as an aviary, is the geodesic framework of the former World's Fair Pavilion (Churchill Exhibit in '65).

You don't hear much about it because it is locally oriented and overshadowed as a tourist attraction by the famous and far larger Bronx Zoo and also the Central Park one.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 07-31-2002).]

It's a very nice zoo, and I make a habit of visiting it whenever I get back to NY. I told my brother on Long Island about it and he never knew it was there. He took his family and they became members they liked it so much. Drop in when you're at the park and enjoy a nice relaxing walk on the trails.

The botanical garden was moved around

that time and had its reopening in 1963.

It is a splendid environment which I

and my family frequently visited during

my childhood.I would encourage everyone to visit.The zoo which is now known as The Queens Wildlife Center is a small city owned but privately maintained and managed facility.It is primarily

dedicated to animals native to

North America.It is a wonderful part

of the park and is located just across

from Terrace On The Park.It is situated

so that the Parkway runs right behind it.

The zoo has seen its share of good and

bad times.It had some great years during

the early seventies but gradually fell

into disrepair during the late seventies financial crunch well in the 1980's.It remained an admission free facility during many of those years,as I remember just being able to walk in.It wasnt a great zoo,as many

areas inside the zoo were closed.The aviary

was closed for a very long time,at least

10 years.In the early nineties,the zoo was closed for about 2 years for a massive renovation project.It re-opened as a truly great zoo.It is now a well maintained facility with great attractions.They also charge an admission fee to enter.I grew up in Flushing and practically lived in FMCP during the seventies and eighties as I spent so much time there.It was truly a wonderful place to grow up.Even during the tough years for the park,it just always had a special feeling.