Sign in to follow this  
PhilR

Last Sunday

I found this car parked by the New York City Building. The car was themed after the fair.

pic034.JPG

Here is a shot of the dashboard.

pic041.JPG

The fountains were on as well.

pic023.JPG

[This message has been edited by PhilR (edited 07-16-2003).]

Hey, Phil, good to hear from you again!

The owner of that car is obviously a Fair nut, who was there to visit the museum Fair exhibit. Wonder if he/she knows about us?

He is a big time WFN. I talked to him for about an hour. He didn't know about PTU, so I told him and gave him the web address. He said he would be at the screening on the 26th. Maybe he'll bring the car. He lives right by the park.

He had a mini-display of sorts on the back seat of the Chevy.

He also told me he has a 1940 Chevy or Ford, I forget which and it's themed after the 39 Fair.

I was in the park on Sunday with da' bench the Qeens Conservatory is looking into re-opening the nature trail around Willow Lake.

So if you want to see more pictures of the car, the fountains and Willow Lake follow this link:

<a href="http://www.pointnetworking.com/photos" target="_blank">http://www.pointnetworkig.com/photos</a>

And no pop up banners or bandwith exceed messages this time.

Certainly an interesting car.

I wonder what the toggle switch is for under the dashboard?

If it sets off fireworks at the Fountain of the Planets, then it's definitely a cool car!!!

Randy

Great photos Phil!

The car is awsome. Hope the owner comes and visits here.

Thank's for sharing!

quote:

Originally posted by c318137:

Plays the soundtrack from It's A Small World? wink.gif

pic041.JPG

Wonder if those quarter dates are from 1964 or 1965? Were they still real silver then?

Randy.

------------------

AMF Monorail Research Project

quote:

Originally posted by c318137:

Levitation?

Maybe it's an MiB vehicle on assignment to check up on things at the spacecraft storage area? eek.gif

Randy.

1964 was the last year for silver quarters and dimes. Starting in 1965 they switched to the cheap copper-nickel junk they've been using ever since.

I don't know about New York, but in California the plates stay with the car for the car's life- even through ownership changes. You only get new plates for a car if they're stolen, or if they're destroyed in a collision (in such a case they're replaced with current-style plates, not old-style).

Occasionally we see '60's plates drivin' around town, on a 60's or older car.

When I lived in Florida it was different though- plates were issued to the owner, and if you traded in a car, you just took the plates off the old car and put 'em on your new car, and notified the state.

And when you renewed the annual registration, periodically the state issued all new plates, so you could hang the old ones in your garage.

So we never saw "old style" plates driving around Florida, except maybe out-of-state plates.

Randy

Speaking of differences in state 'tags' laws-

When I first moved to California I was in the military, and a resident of Florida. Military members are allowed to keep their car registered in their home state no matter where they're stationed, if they so choose.

Eventually I decided to trade in my car at a local L.A.-area dealer, and to my surprise the dealer refused to give me the Florida plates off my old car, to put on the new one!!!

I had to get somebody at a nearby California DMV office to talk to the dealer on the phone, and give a verbal okay that authorized him to surrender the plates because I was military. He had to file some sort of form with the California DMV to explain that the car he took in was from out-of-state and it was a state where the plates stay with the owner.

Now I'm a California resident (no choice when I got out of the military and stayed out here- but the high taxes are yuuuukkkkk!!!) so I've got 1995-style Calif. tags on my 95 Altima, 87-style tags on my wife's 87 Buick, and 91-style tags on son's 91 Geo Prizm.

What I'd really like are some Unisphere tags, but I doubt there's much chance of that out here! smile.gif

Ok - Now ya did it - please see attached for my car (1965 T-Bird) - Look closely at all 3 plates:

<a href="http://home.att.net/~Stevemarketer/tbird.JPG" target="_blank">http://home.att.net/~Stevemarketer/tbird.JPG</a>

There is more stuff on the inside - if ya wanna see more, I'll take more photos...oh and by the way - My T-bird has the coolest interior ever put in a car!!

Oh, one more thing - In NY, if you have a classic car and can find a classic plate from the correct era, you can register your car to that plate if you have Collector Car insurance. I like to drive my T-Bird a lot so I use regular insurance - hence the regular tags.

The car is registered as a classic. The guy that owns it is the President of the Antique Car Owners of Queeens. So the plate is "legal".

The way you know it is "legal" the red stripe on the the right of the plate and the sticker on the windshield. He can only put 2,500 miles a year on the car.

Cool! Remember yessong, you promised me a ride in the Bird around the Fairgrounds!

I've got a '64 NY plate, but instead of "NY WORLDS FAIR" at the bottom, it has "SPEC COMM". Any guesses?

Mike, if you want a plate like the one on the car, the Queens Museum gift shop has an original for $38.

Yes, in NYS, you may have a license plate that matches the time period of a classic automobile. I live in a community that has a large classic car museum and they host a variety of events throughout the year. When people arrive with their classic cars, they always have a NYS tag that is precise to the vintage of the automobile. And that is how the vehicle is registered with DMV.

One other thought: The red stripe on that 1964 NYWF NYS tag is not current. That was an adhesive strip attached when the car was re-registered in 1965. Previously, owners attached a small metal piece to the lower right corner of the NYS tag during the second year the tag was used (for decades, NY changed license plates every two years). Therefore, that red stripe is the 1965 renewal information. I know this because I remember we did this for our family cars back then and because I am looking at a 1964 NYS license plate that has the same adhesive red strip as seen in the photograph. Today, in NYS, the tags are kept for many years and registration renewal is indicated by a sticker placed in the lower corner on the driver's side of the windshield.

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 07-17-2003).]

Hello!

this is Tom - the owner of the car.

The car is registered in NYS under the '65 plates as a classic car. Phil was correct in saying that as a result I can only drive 2500 mi/year.

The toggle switch under the dash was a modification I made after purchasing the car. I installed a 2nd fan to help cool the engine when I used the car in parades.

The quarters in the car are indeed 1965 quarters (to match the year of the car). So, sadly they are not the all silver quarters. I do have about 6 1965 quarters.

For anyone who is interested, this car can also be seen briefly featured in the movie "A Bronx Tale".

Phil - it was good to see you again at last Saturday's showing of the film.

Tom

PhilR could you tell me how you and the group you were with got inside the tent of tommorow when you visited FMCP? Where you able to find a park official or worker or was the gate luckily open? I'll be going to FMCP in a couple of weeks and it'll be time to call and ask for possible access with a park offical or worker. I'll be sure to take pictures and try to post them here.

P.S. I noticed how discolored the map has gotten in certain areas. Were you able to find areas of scattered pieces or take a piece of the map for yourself?