Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Can anyone identify this shot?

Bill, I think I've found the answer to this one. Take a look at CD#8 produced by that nice Bill Cotter fellow, Set 42 (Churchill Exhibit), frames 014 thru 017. Perhaps the study might have been on display at NYS some time before or after it was installed in the Churchill Pavilion? Do those round light fixtures in the mystery photo definitely place it at NYS?

By jove, Bradd, you're right! It's the Churchill exhibit after all. I will move it to the right section - thanks!

Wanna try your best at these then?

Picture "A"

nywf-unknown-a.jpg

Picture "B" - Simmons?

nywf-unknown-b.jpg

Picture "C" - view of pavilion outside any help?

nywf-unknown-c.jpg

Picture "D" - ice show

nywf-unknown-d.jpg

I have a few more unknowns for you when you crack these!

Bill

[This message has been edited by billcotter (edited 05-10-2003).]

May I try at one?

D:

richard Button's Ice-Travaganza?

Picture "A" could be the Cleopetra exhibit at the Hollywood Pavilion (the helmets on these guys look Egyptian), but I think it more likely that this view is from the Wax Museum. That one's guys eyes look pretty waxy. smile.gif

I'd like to add that D could also be part of the Sid and Marty Krofft show "Les Poupees de Paris."

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bradd Schiffman:

B is the Taj Mahal from Coca-Cola...<HR></blockquote>

<a href="http://peace.expoarchive.com/6465/industrial/indpav09.shtml" target="_blank">http://peace.expoarchive.com/6465/industri.../indpav09.shtml</a>

There was a Taj Mahal in Pepsi's Small World also, <a href="http://peace.expoarchive.com/6465/industrial/indpav33.shtml" target="_blank">http://peace.expoarchive.com/6465/industri.../indpav33.shtml</a>

...but the fountains in the foreground make this photo more likely to be the Coca-Cola Pavilion.

As for C, there are some clues (the red roofed building visible in the background, and what appears to possibly be a suit of armor left center in shadow), but it will take the expertise of a Hood Lock, a Park Bench, or a C318137 to solve this one.

Looking at enlargements of the original of picture "C" on Bill's CD, I'm almost positive that the image on the left is NOT a suit of armor. In fact it looks very much like a see-through right to the exterior, because it looks like a tree which aligns with the tree in the window above.

On the CD, the pic comes right after an exterior picture of the National Bank building. My first thought was "Elephant- a symbol of thrift or savings- maybe this is the inside of the Bank building".

But the windows don't seem to be the same as the exterior shot.

The lady in the foreground reminds me of a stereotypical Eastern Europe "babushka peasant woman", but then wearing scarves was a lot more prevalent in the early 60's than it is today, so I suppose she could be from anywhere.

The only lead is to identify the buildings seen outside the windows, and the more detailed pic on the CD doesn't supply much more info than you see here.

The red roof in the right window looks like it could be a canopy (maybe). Or it could be an International House of Pancakes!

And there is a similarly shaped blue roof on the left, that seems to go behind the red-roofed structure.

Oh well- just have to keep an eye open for red-roofed pitched structures.

Here is a blowup of the section in question in Picture "C". Hopefully Bill won't mind sharing, if it will get the picture identified!

babushka.jpg

Well, after searching for a LONG time, I finally think I found the structures seen through the windows of Picture "C".

They are adjacent to the Equitable and IBM Pavilions, apparently right across the street from Coca-Cola.

I don't know what these little buildings are.

But given their positioning in this picture, and the relative positions shown in Picture "C", can anybody use a map and exprapolate where Picture "C" was taken from?

mystery1.jpg

mystery2.jpg

EXCELLENT work Randy. It looks like this shot was taken from either the PAI or the Hall of Education, probably PAI. On the official map, the area is grass. However, in the 1965 Guide, this area is taken over by

FIESTA: "Africa, Asia, Europe, as well as the Americas, are represented in a 'village' of kiosks which display and sell a variety of folk art. Admission is charged: proceeds go to a center for world understanding."

That would explain the carnival-look of the striped elephant as well as the tent roofs.

[This message has been edited by Bradd Schiffman (edited 05-11-2003).]

On one map its all grass, on another it says something too small to make out- but it looks sort of like 'People to People'.

However, I would guess that Picture "C" might be taken from the Festival of Gas.

We're homing in on it anyway!!!

I should clarify- the picture I posted (actually another one of Bill's!) could indeed be from the PAI.

But I think Picture "C" is from a different angle- more in the direction from the Festival of Gas.

Sherlock Holmes had nothing on you folks!

My guess is that "C" is from this newly identified FIESTA area. The woman in the picture is a visitor to the Fair, not a worker, so her garb should be discounted (you can see her in other shots). Looking at the site map I can't see what other pavilions would be likely candidates.

So, thanks for the ABCD info! I will post some others later to test you all again!

Bill

Bill, you have a picture of the front of this Fiesta area on CD #6, Set 29, picture #2- here's a closeup of the pertinent part of that picture.

My guess is that your 'elephant' picture might have been taken from one of these buildings.

mystery3.jpg

I gotta thank you guys for the recovered memory. Looking at the isometric map, the shot just looked too far away to have been taken from the PAI. Then I remembered what I found out in 64: that the distances between pavilions were much shorter on the ground than what they looked in the Guidebook before my first visit.

You can definitely see the Fair starting to get desperate when this kind of display gets prime real estate. Gee, I wonder how much of that admission fee went to the "Committee for World Peace"?