Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

WED Mini-quiz

We know of Disney's contributions to the Fair, Ford, GE, Pepsi and Illinois.

There was to be a fifth attraction created by WED (Walter Elias Disney) for the 64' Fair. Can anyone name it?

Hint it's not the Hall of Presidents or the work Disney did for GM.

The Disney people did approached GM, however Disney was late in developing and idea and Donn Tatum of GM decided that they could design and build their own pavilion and said, " You know who you should be talking to is Ford, because they really need you".

I don't think Donn Tatum worked for GM. He did a spell at ABC which is where he came into contact with Disney. Walt hired him and he eventually became the head of the company. I have seen the quote you referenced before but I think the source may be wrong. I'm pretty sure Donn was with Disney by the time work began on the Fair.

In any event, I don't think I ever did read exactly what it was that Disney had suggested to GM. I'm looking forward to the answer!

Mike you are hereby banned from any of my future quizzes. Yes you have the answer I was looking for.

The WED design was to be larger, from the cars to the track. The three trains were made-up of six cars with four compartments in each car. The track that was to be built was nearly three times as long as the AMF design. Disney put the cost of the system more than six million dollars, doubling the estimated cost of the AMF system.

The Alweg system was planned as a permanent attraction for FMCP. Bob Gurr said of Disney's design, "It could have been a real transportation system the whole time, instead of this dangling sight-seeing thing. History is very unkind".

Indeed, this is documented in the most excellent "Persistance of Vision" issue covering the Fair. A MUST HAVE for the amateur historian. Boffo!!

(How's about I just answer the questions I don't know - 80% - and remain mute on the ones I do know - 10% ??)

Yes Mike that was my source material. For those who haven't yet read it, you should hunt down a copy.

Persistence of Vision Issue #6/#7.

A monorail - that blows me away. As I said in an earlier post, it just doesn't make sense. GM was around to sell cars, and a monorail would certainly compete with the need for them. Weird.

Thanks for sharing!

Bill you are so right, what would GM do with a Monorail? A monorail after they put all the streetcars across the country out of business. No I believe you misunderstood the question. I thought seeing the answer you would have understood that I was eliminating GM and the Hall of Presidents from the equation.

You do bring up a good point, what was the proposal on the table between GM and WED?

Actually monorails and similar light rail systems are really complementary technologies to the car. They have succeeded best in airports, theme parks, etc. where they concentrate on moving people over medium length (too far to walk, too short to drive)distances witin a closed complex. They actually facilitate auto use by making it practical to build more spread out facilities, particularly parking, that are initially accessed by car.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 12-28-2002).]

Anderson does mention the WED folks making a presentation to GM, using GM suggestions, but there is no info on what specifically it was. GM had by then developed their own exhibit team, and the rest is history.