Bill Young

Budd Structures from the '39 World's Fair

The only between-Fairs photos of the Budd structures we've seen, are high altitude aerial photos, dating to around 1960 and 1961.

I wonder who maintained the Budd Windsock? One would think a windsock would deteriorate and have to be replaced periodically.

Earlier in this topic there are references to a weathervane. So maybe the windsock was actually a weathervane, which would have much sturdier materials.

One advantage of my job is I work one block from the main Los Angeles Library. I just pulled out the NY Times Magazine for Jan. 17, 1960 which had a story called "A Walk Among World's Fair Ghosts". In it they describe the Park grounds as they stood then. I will try to post the whole thing later on, but it does mention one of the few things left from the 1939-40 Fair was - ready for this? - "Budd's stainless steel weathervane".

Bill

Bill, did you ever post a scan of this article?

Your reference says the weathervane was made of stainless steel, which answers why it was low (or "NO") maintenance.

The article copy was too bad to scan so I transcribed it. Here's the link: www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/articles/ny-times/ghosts.htm

Bill,

Once again, a long time between replies. We never took any photos of the Budd Pavilion area when we were there in the late 50's and early 60's. We lived in Sunnyside and Flushing Meadow park was the place we went to on weekends. I learned to ride a two wheeler there. The roads were nice and smooth and no cars or many people around back then. 

Here is a picture I came across today of the Budd Wind Sock. Maybe you have never seen it. 5e9cd38c2c704_BuddWindSock.jpg.83751a204343f6262eab1d8684914e1d.jpg

Jim

Thanks. I've got a few photos of the wind vane from the time of the 39-40 Fair but I don't think that one. I wonder where it ended up. Sadly it was probably a scrapyard.

While the Fair Corporation gave careful consideration to keeping this structure for the new fair from early 1961 through early 1963.  At one point they even offered The Budd Company the chance to move the wind socks to their plant in Philadelphia, but that didn't work out for Budd "due to zoning restrictions and difficulty of re-erection" per their letter dated 3/14/63. I can definitively confirm that from a copy of the actual files on this subject from the Fair Corporation records at the NY Public Library that this remnant of the 39-40 Fair was demolished by the Lew Morris Demolition Co. Inc. sometime shortly after 5/25/63, which is the date the Demolition Permit was approved by the Fair Corporation. The demo company was paid $450.00 for this work with an additional $250.00 authorized if they encountered a concrete foundation when removing the base to 4' below grade. The Demolition Permit specifically stated that they were to "Drop Tower to ground and burn same with torch into small pieces".

Thanks for that info, Craig. Sad news but expected. It's too bad it couldn't have been left as a link between the Fairs.

Was the precise spot where the Steakhouse got erected in 1964?  Or was the weather vane where the fountain was installed, between Ford and the Space Park?

Hello All,

Here is the Budd exhibit and the lower portion of the weather vane along with an image showing where the slide was taken

buddEKL2006ptu.jpg

Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Exhibit, Transportation Zone, 1940 New York World's Fair © EKL Image Collection 2020

BuddRANDY2.jpg

This shows the location and direction of the image above  - it was taken C. 1960 or so I'm not sure.

19 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

That's a beautiful picture!

Thanks Bill - means a lot from you. :) I think it is one of the first images I posted here. Stay safe all!