Bill Young

Budd Structures from the '39 World's Fair

The only between-Fairs photos of the Budd structures we've seen, are high altitude aerial photos, dating to around 1960 and 1961.

I wonder who maintained the Budd Windsock? One would think a windsock would deteriorate and have to be replaced periodically.

Earlier in this topic there are references to a weathervane. So maybe the windsock was actually a weathervane, which would have much sturdier materials.

One advantage of my job is I work one block from the main Los Angeles Library. I just pulled out the NY Times Magazine for Jan. 17, 1960 which had a story called "A Walk Among World's Fair Ghosts". In it they describe the Park grounds as they stood then. I will try to post the whole thing later on, but it does mention one of the few things left from the 1939-40 Fair was - ready for this? - "Budd's stainless steel weathervane".

Bill

Bill, did you ever post a scan of this article?

Your reference says the weathervane was made of stainless steel, which answers why it was low (or "NO") maintenance.

The article copy was too bad to scan so I transcribed it. Here's the link: www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/articles/ny-times/ghosts.htm